Chester FC

Guest Brethers

Yeah, a tough tough blow for Chester going down on goal difference.  They would have likely consolidated their spot in the conference with Burr at the helm for a full year had they survived.  But woe is Hereford.  Falling from the third tier in 2009 to just missing the drop to the sixth in 2014 is crazy, attendance down from 3200 at that time to maybe 1700 today.  Insolvency, multiple wind-up orders, Trwick, Davey, Pitman, O'Kelley then Foyle...moving on to a third owner in four years...you have to wonder how much the stability of Graham Turner meant to the club.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Brethers

In no way do I want Hereford to go, having been there with Chester  it is not something I'd wish on any other club. I hope it didn't come across like I was hoping for a hereford financial demise!

I agree Marc, if we had Steve Burr longer we would probably have stayed up but can't live by ifs and buts. End of the day he nearly performed the miracle in keeping us up and had Matty Taylor not been recalled by FGR we may well have pulled it off. Even then, last day of the season Salisbury equalise very late on largely thanks to a horrible shank clearance and then we hit the bar moments later so it was still almost completed. We had the 5th highest average attendance this season I think, which for a part time club in and around the bottom 4 all season (pointless after 5 games!) is amazing. Next season we need to do what Halifax did and that is build a squad with looking at competing in the Conf premier not just the North. As great as Neil Young was and as much as I love him for 3 consecutive promotions, he failed to build a squad capable of making the jump up. But Steve Burr want to stay on if we go to a specific full time model (6 young FTers and 6 old FTers with rest of squad made up with loanees) and maybe that's what we should do. Who knows, but I am still exicted about our future particularly if we can keep on Burr

Oh of course no no-one thought you were wishing anything ill upon Hereford. I do think that most can admit that if our team had been relegated it would be a bit weird to see Hereford potentially get docked points for this year's financials *next* season.

Your attendance was fantastic.  I was surprised you guys stayed part-time this season but I guess it is in situations like this that it makes sense, and given past financial problems it's not worth the risk.

It's been interesting to watch the professionalization of the conference over the last 10 or 15 years, yet see teams like Chester and Stockport go part-time and teams like Hereford move to 40-week contracts and yet a team like Alfreton is mid-table despite one of the lowest budgets.  A very interesting league.

Guest Brethers

The problem with it is that it is stacked with lots of ex-league teams and with only 2 promotion spots it is very hard to get out of. You have to gamble either on up or bust; or on playing it safe and getting up on good investment but losing out on top players due to lower wage offers. I'd much rather use the second option.

We have just announced the signing of Steve Burr to a 2 year contract extension, fantastic news. Apparently there are some ambitious plans too which is exciting but not known what those are yet. I'm hoping it means we go with the full time model proposed earlier this season and we use that as a way to build for both now and the future

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

My account seemed to get deleted, but I'm back! We have really come on leaps and bounds this season under Steve Burr. The players have all bought into his system, and there is a fantastic spirit within the team. We sit midtable, 6 points shy of the playoff places and I think we have an outside chance of sneaking in. Summer signing Kingsley James has been huge in CM for us and is drawing attention from Fleetwood. Striker Matty Hughes is on loan from them and ta;ls of a swap plus small fee from Fleetwood are increasing. My highlights of the season so far:

2-1 win at home against Wrexham, live on BT Sport. Watch the highlights says it all: http://sport.bt.com/video-01363814401986?videoid=3800004116001&videotitle=Highlights%3A%20Chester%202%20Wrexham%201&videoimage=v1%2Funsecured%2Fmedia%2F2503979514001%2F201409%2F771%2F2503979514001_3800010486001_chesterhighlightsbcove.jpg    last attack of the game!!!! Definitely owed my neighbours an apology after the 2nd goal. Hobson's was a great finish, and look for the guy falling over while he celebrates haha

2-1 win at league 2 Southend in FA cup 1st round. This being on my birthday made it sweeter: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29972200  (on 7th Dec we are playing at Barnsley in 2nd round)

the general character of the team, as evidenced by last two results. We were 2-0 down v Bristol rovers and got 2 in 3 minutes to draw 2-2 last Saturday. On Tuesday we played at Dartford and on 46 minutes were 2-0 down, ended up winning 4-2. Just look at our 2nd goal, so beautiful. Craig Mahon is a player who has dramatically improved from last season and really impressing (got the winner at Southend too)    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4mEGHBPQ5M

Nice to be back!! Took some time away from the boards when my last account disappeared but wanted to get back on

We lost 3 2 at Nuneaton on Saturday, disappointingly. But we are at home to Telford tonight (who we have also drawn away in the FA trophy 1st round) and hoping for a win against the bottom club!

Also lee cook is a blast from the past! Good to see him still playing I remember thinking e was quality as a kid. I agree we won't go up this season, but it's good progress from last year o build on. Bad news is Matty Hughes may get recalled by Fleetwood as they have a striker injury crisis

We beat Telford 2 0 at home, captain Matty Brown and an own goal seeing us through. Today we play at Barnsley! If anyone wants to see us play I have been told it is on TV in North america and there are also links online. Should be a good fa cup tie

For those wondering it's on Sportsnet World 2 live at 9am.

I'm recording the game and probably will watch Monday, very exciting!

• 2 weeks later...

We drew 0 0 with Barnsley, great game had two cleared off the line (one looked like it was in) hit the bar and a goal ruled rightly offside. Replay is tomorrow at 7 45 on BT sport. If we beat Barnsley we play at home to Middlesbrough in the third round. So excited!!!

We drew 1 1 on the weekend t home to Telford in the FA trophy, Kingsley James scored a pen. That replay is monday the 22nd. If we win we play at Fylde

We drew 0 0 with Barnsley, great game had two cleared off the line (one looked like it was in) hit the bar and a goal ruled rightly offside. Replay is tomorrow at 7 45 on BT sport. If we beat Barnsley we play at home to Middlesbrough in the third round. So excited!!!

We drew 1 1 on the weekend t home to Telford in the FA trophy, Kingsley James scored a pen. That replay is monday the 22nd. If we win we play at Fylde

I watched the first game with Barnsley and it was great. Too bad tomorrow's game isn't on here in Canada. I'm going to search for a potential replay on Sportsnet World later this week.

I watched the first game with Barnsley and it was great. Too bad tomorrow's game isn't on here in Canada. I'm going to search for a potential replay on Sportsnet World later this week.

I have read on a Chester forum (as there are a couple people who post on there who now live in Canada) that the game will be on sportsnet world in Canada live at 2:45 PM ET

I have read on a Chester forum (as there are a couple people who post on there who now live in Canada) that the game will be on sportsnet world in Canada live at 2:45 PM ET

I searched my guide the other day and nothing came up but I just checked again and it is scheduled on Sportsnet World today. I'm pumped! Although I probably won't be able to watch until Friday.

I searched my guide the other day and nothing came up but I just checked again and it is scheduled on Sportsnet World today. I'm pumped! Although I probably won't be able to watch until Friday.

I'll avoid putting any spoilers up until the weekend then. I'm amped up for this, an hour and a bit til KO and being the only Chester fan in the bar. Can't wait!!!

• 9 months later...

^ C'mon Devon don't be shy. You wrote a good article. Looking forward to Part 2.

Then I want to see a series on how any of this could be applied in Canada. Seriously, I want to know if cooperatives could be used like "Industrial and Provident Societies" or what structure would actually make fan-ownership viable for a professional league.

^ C'mon Devon don't be shy. You wrote a good article. Looking forward to Part 2.

Then I want to see a series on how any of this could be applied in Canada. Seriously, I want to know if cooperatives could be used like "Industrial and Provident Societies" or what structure would actually make fan-ownership viable for a professional league.

Cheers, Ted.

It would be interesting to see what forms such clubs could take here in Canada, in terms of what legislation allows for. A quick browse looks like it would be limited to either cooperative, non-profit company, or society.

Hmmmm...

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

It’s been a rough season ? we did raise some good funds but more is needed! If anyone is interested I can provide a link, but I’m not here to shill for our plight

apparently an investor is very interested in putting in “a large sum of money” but maintaining the fan owned status. They love the city and want to see it flourish is the only thing we know of them at this minute. Marcus Bignot has been sacked, and Callum Macintyre has taken over for last 3 games. He is our academy manager and has done wonders with them. After Saturdays game he will have made history as the youngest manager ever of a club in the top 5 divisions, at the ripe old age of 24!

Archived