TFC vs. Houston May 7th [R]

jpg75

I really liked how JDG played in the holding mid role this evening. He kept the ball rolling with mostly safe, simple possession but with a couple of good incisive passes thrown. He supported the defence effectively, for the most part, though on one occasion he gave Watson far too much time on his run to make that early second half through ball pass in which Eckersley cleared the danger. TFC fans should be pleased with JDG's performance: the next step for him is to string together these types of efforts on a more consistent basis

Kinnear's Houston is a well organized, athletic group, hard to break down (undermined by a poor giveaway on the first goal, however) but not particularly dynamic in attack but Toronto played them well this evening. Plata was fun to watch on the flank and inevitably most of the good things that happened occurred through him.

Plata was excellent the whole night and you need someguts to take a PK like that in your first MLS start. I'm not sure what tot think of Soolsma TBH, a couple of nice plays and draw the PK but was terrible a other times.

This was probably JDG best game this year, he was putting a lot of pressure on Houston midfield and broke up a lot of play. He also did well on the offensive end with some nice play and kept the possession well.

Nice win by TFC but they should learn how to keep a 2-0 lead, the end was exciting but I'm sure Winter and the fans could've done without the Houston goal.

While some have been quick to criticize the direction of this team, I really like the direct it appears to be going. The game against Houston showed that progress is being made, although not perfectly linear.

I suspect some forget just how young this team is and that was evidenced by the starting lineup against Houston:

Stefan Frei - 25

Mikael Yourassowsky - 28

Adrian Cann - 30

Dicoy Williams - 24

Richard Eckersley - 22

Julian de Guzman - 30

Tony Tchani - 22

Jacob Peterson - 25

Joao Plata - 19

Alan Stevanovic - 20

Nick Soolsma - 23

Regardless of how one might view Winter and de Klerk's coaching credentials, I think most would acknowledge that both have top of the line credentials as development coaches. For me anyway, the combination of a very talented group of very young players, and quality development coaches, this team is going to continue to improve.

There are still some soft spots but I'm sure strategies to strengthen those are in the works.

Anything positive that happens this season in terms of results should be viewed as a bonus but it is a relief to see the team win again because a significant portion of the fanbase is basically clueless and are liable to jump off the bandwagon in a way MLSE would probably find difficult to ignore if the team isn't reasonably competitive this summer. Good to see Nick Soolsma finally making a positive contribution. That was the signing on Winter's part that looked most questionable so far, in my opinion. Also looks like the Eckersley loan deal may successfully have dealt with the most pressing gap in the roster. Any MLS team that starts a player like Dan Gargan regularly rather than using him as inexpensive cover has problems.

Section 114 loves the "wee man". Exciting game. Defence finally looks set in my opinion.

I thought the midfield in front of the defence played quite well, but Houston doesn't bring a variety of dynamic weapons to the table, either. I'm still think the jury's out on Dicoy but both he and Cann match up well against the style of strikers they faced this evening.

I'm disappointed it took Winter this long to make the obvious changes that supporters have been asking for quite some time now(get rid of Harden, Gargan, remove Santos from a AMC role, play plata and Eckersley). It's good that Winter got it right, but it took him 2 weeks too long to get it right.

It was nice to finally see TFC win another game. It was especially nice to see Plata get a start and after his performance we will hopefully see more starts from him in the future. He wasn't apart of Ecuador's U20 South American Tournament team that managed to qualify for the U20 World Cup in Columbia this summer but I wonder if he will get some kind of recognition and consideration for Ecuador's team that they are bringing to the finals. With only 23 spots availible it would be surprising to see him included, especially since he is playing in the MLS while other on the team get playing time for clubs like Argentina's River Plate and Russia's Ruban Kazan. But if Winter continues to use him and Plata continues to play like he did last night I wouldn't be surprised if he were to get the call.

It is a shame Canada couldn't get by Mexico to qualify for this tournament.

The feeling one gets from this game as compared to the Seattle game is interesting. The Seattle game left me wondering whether or not Winter really had the club moving in the right direction regardless of the rebuilding nature of the season. This game was completely different especially in the intensity level. I guess I could chalk that inconsistency up to a team trying to find its way, but it would certainly be nice if this win could inject some confidence into the club and they could start putting together some consistent efforts. It's hard to watch a game like the one against Seattle.

Love Plata's flair ... the team needs a lot more of that.

Did I actually see Maicon running hard on his goal, or did my eyes deceive me?

The goalie got his hand on the ball as Plata went around him which the ref missed on his original call...

Nope, the referee correctly called a PK for justifiable foul. But the linesman overruled claiming that Plata was offside prior to the foul occurring.

This is pedantry on my part but the linesman can't actually overrule because he is only there to assist the referee. The ref changed his decision based on advice received from the linesman. Happens sometimes and is not something that's worth getting too worked up about in terms of having a sense of injustice, in my opinion. Only surprise for me is that I thought they had the technology in place now to prevent that kind of mix up. In the old days all the linesman could do to attract the ref's attention was to raise his flag but think the gadgetry goes well beyond that now.

Nope, the referee correctly called a PK for justifiable foul. But the linesman overruled claiming that Plata was offside prior to the foul occurring.

On TV they said first it was because of an offside but they retract and said it was because the keeper touched the ball first, which appears to be the case. Anyways, the good thing is TFC won and we won't hear to much about that call....

I was at the game and was suitably impressed by the effort from Plata. I think he was a well-needed sparkplug for the TFC attack.

Now for the one thing that bugged me, and it was off the field. I understand the culture around the supporter's groups and that it is appreciated and even expected to be standing and chanting when your tickets are in a supporter's section. I purchased tickets in the back row of a section that is not designated as a supporter's section. However, I was reduced to watching most of the game from the video board at the north end as everyone in the 3-5 rows (at minimum) in front of me were standing throughout the entire game. I went for tickets outside the supporter's sections as I'm not able to stand through a full match. As it was I stood for the last 15-20 minutes and was hurting the next day. I'm sure other people choose to support the team by being in the stadium but don't feel comfortable joining in on the songs and chants. It was frustrating to say the least.

I was at the game and was suitably impressed by the effort from Plata. I think he was a well-needed sparkplug for the TFC attack.

Now for the one thing that bugged me, and it was off the field. I understand the culture around the supporter's groups and that it is appreciated and even expected to be standing and chanting when your tickets are in a supporter's section. I purchased tickets in the back row of a section that is not designated as a supporter's section. However, I was reduced to watching most of the game from the video board at the north end as everyone in the 3-5 rows (at minimum) in front of me were standing throughout the entire game. I went for tickets outside the supporter's sections as I'm not able to stand through a full match. As it was I stood for the last 15-20 minutes and was hurting the next day. I'm sure other people choose to support the team by being in the stadium but don't feel comfortable joining in on the songs and chants. It was frustrating to say the least.

What section were you in?

Archived