Whitecaps vs Dallas: April 23, 2011

Danny Boy

It's a beautiful day on the left coast and I'm looking forward to the game today. However I don't know what to predict. The Caps still don't have their ideal first team available, especially in the midfield. I'm hoping for another solid defensive performance but this time with a goal or two scored... so 1-0 Caps with Hassli scoring in the 38th minute???

I think I'd love to see games reffed like today, than how Toledo runs the show.

He was not card happy or anything and was fairly consistent with what he considered fair play, and in this sport that's all you can ask from the ref is consistency through the 90 minutes.

Yeah maybe there was a couple non-calls or calls that were mistakes, but they are human they do make mistakes there job is to limit them, and allow the game to played fluently, yet fairly.

I was happy with the Whitecaps play, except Wagner is exposed way too much every game and teams and starting to smell blood around him. We need to get the ball on Chiumiento's and Hassli's foot as much as possible. Again a promising effort and display of skill to when this team can field a full strength sqaud with top form and chemistry.

One thing for sure is we can't blame the refs, we can't blame anyone, but ourselves and move forward, you have win despite missed calls and flaws in the play. it's all about capitalizing on the chances the game gives you.

I knew I was going to find stuff like this in this thread.....

I watch the game and tought the ref did a decent job. Vancouver should blame themselves for loosing that one, the ref had nothing to do with it.

Chiumento was very exciting today. What's up with Teibert?

I never suggested that it was the ref's fault that we lost. That doesn't change the fact that the officiating was poor. Hassli was continually penalised for being big and was eventually booked for a non-foul. The ref than takes no action against two different Dallas players using deliberate delaying tactics during stoppage time and doesn't even add anything on the to minimum 4 minutes of time added on to compensate for all the BS that Dallas was playing in stoppage time.

On another note, is it so hard for Sportsnet to have a camera set high and back so that they can give a decent replay to display the offsides throughout the game?

I watch the game and tought the ref did a decent job. Vancouver should blame themselves for loosing that one, the ref had nothing to do with it.

Chiumento was very exciting today. What's up with Teibert?

I have watched all but one of the 'Caps games so far this season, and I'll say that this ref wasn't bad, if your usual standard it Toledo. I would have a hard time saying that the standard of MLS officiating is better than what I see every Saturday here when my club plays. Our first-team plays in the 7th-tier of football in Australia and often uses club linesman to assist the referee. Guys who referee at the highest level of US/Canadian football should definitely be better than the rubbish we are getting.

Did you watch the game?

Yes. I saw a match where FC Dallas had a slow start at beginning but after the first goal of the match they clearly dominated Vancouver. Their attempts to score were more dangerous than Vancouvers and I think it would have been unfair to see Vancouver win this one. I could have agreed with you that the ref influenced on the final result if there were a bad call that ended being a goal for one of sides but that wasn't the case today.

"The ref steal us the match" is the motto of the loser, IMO. Also, I can't understand how there's so much cynicism towards refs, they can't be expected to make always the good call, with the speed of the game, the ref is going to make a mistake sometime, but today I don't think the ref was bad enough to make Vancouver lose the 3 points.

You have to accept the truth VWC fans, this team isn't impressive enough, just one victory against TFC and that's all. There's no ref conspiracy against Vancouver, this team is one of the worst of the Western Conference, I've only impressed in the match against Kansas City, and they are where they deserve to be.

Yes. I saw a match where FC Dallas had a slow start at beginning but after the first goal of the match they clearly dominated Vancouver. Their attempts to score were more dangerous than Vancouvers and I think it would have been unfair to see Vancouver win this one. I could have agreed with you that the ref influenced on the final result if there were a bad call that ended being a goal for one of sides but that wasn't the case today.

"The ref steal us the match" is the motto of the loser, IMO. Also, I can't understand how there's so much cynicism towards refs, they can't be expected to make always the good call, with the speed of the game, the ref is going to make a mistake sometime, but today I don't think the ref was bad enough to make Vancouver lose the 3 points.

You have to accept the truth VWC fans, this team isn't impressive enough, just one victory against TFC and that's all. There's no ref conspiracy against Vancouver, this team is one of the worst of the Western Conference, I've only impressed in the match against Kansas City, and they are where they deserve to be.

Yes, all that is fine, but has nothing to do with what I posted. The fact of the matter is that in upwards of 50 MLS games I've watched over the past 4-5 years, I've yet to see a referee that I would say was very good. The best I've ever been to say is that the ref wasn't quite as **** as I expected him to be or that he wasn't quite as **** as the ref from the last game I watched. Overall, the quality of officiating in this league needs to improve drastically because it's not above Sunday league standard at the moment.

Caps were beaten by a better, more experienced team on the day. Was watching with my pops and summarized during the game "The Caps are playing naive, like an expansion team." Too much long ball. I also wonder if the opposition haven't figured out TT's 4-4-2, which he seems to refuse to alter. Dallas played not dissimilar to Houston. Hit the channels...at pace. All sorts of space between the defenders, and the midfielders get stretched. BUT, I won't be too worried until these sort of performances continue when Akloul, Salinas, and Thorrington are regularly in the first XI, not to mention Koffie is back - the 4 of those of course meaning Knight can play RB and Rochat LB. If the performances continue after those lads play 3-4 consecutive matches together then worry. That being said, Whitecaps need Teibert to either own the LM spot or get a more experienced one than Khalfan (who looks a great impact sub in my opinion, but not a 90 minute guy - given he didn't play 90 yesterday and was alright off the bench until poor decisions in the last 10 minutes). I would NOT begrudge a DP to play in CM, an attacking CM.

My desired changes:

LB-Rochat (playing CB currently by default)

CB-Demerit

CB-Akloul (until he is proven to not be good enough)

RB-Knight (until a better option comes - Leathers ain't it)

DM-Dunfield

CM-Chiumento (has to stay central to maximize touches and options for him creatively)

CM-Thorrington (until a DP can be purchased)

LM-Teibert (give him this season!)

RM-Salinas (or a DP and leave Thorrington in CM with Koffie platooning)

FW-Hassli

Also....why was Hassli dropping so deep yesterday while Sanvezzo staying up high? Hassli has to be in the box getting on the end of things. That being said, his technical game was far better than I had expected it to be (first time I've seen him play).

Bloggers have asked "Where is Phil Davies?" But I want to know "Where is Morfaw"???? Loved the kid v. Seattle in pre-season. Injured?

Finally....Sanvezzo was working hard, but not impacting the game. I was begging for him to be replaced at minute 65 for Salgado who could not have had LESS impact, but just might have provided more. Sanvezzo has shown knack for goals, I know. But, Salgado needs precious games, just as Dallas is giving their 18 year old.

Yes, all that is fine, but has nothing to do with what I posted. The fact of the matter is that in upwards of 50 MLS games I've watched over the past 4-5 years, I've yet to see a referee that I would say was very good. The best I've ever been to say is that the ref wasn't quite as **** as I expected him to be or that he wasn't quite as **** as the ref from the last game I watched. Overall, the quality of officiating in this league needs to improve drastically because it's not above Sunday league standard at the moment.

Ok. If I understand, you complained about the reffing in a Vancouver thread where they lost but by no means you intended to put the your team loss on the ref shoulders? Maybe you didn't chose the right thread then.

The foot got caught on/in the fake turf and he twisted it as he was trying to avoid the follow through. Leathers got the ball first so it was a clean tackle. If the league ever wants to speed up the games and create more scoring just outlaw sliding tackles. It does not show "commitment" it shows that a player is out of position and desperate! This would give the offensive players more opportunity to showcase their skills. It would also weed out the unskilled quickly as they would get burned constantly.

Too bad about Zak and Fer. They were both the type you watch and say "I wish he was on our team". In both cases I think the refs got the call and non-call correct. As to the level of officiating we are all at the mercy of the USSF and CSA for officiating because the league isn't allowed by FIFA to have its own refs.

With Koffie, Demerrit in the lineup we played more of a 4-1-3-2 and a lot of play on the wings with Leathers and Rochat. We miss that badly. Nobody I've seen so far has done Koffie's job and that has left us exposed.

Dallas are a good club, the ref was decent, and the result was fair. But 12 goals concede in 7 matches, 8 goals conceded at home in 5 matches is way, way too many. Hate to do it because he's a great guy, but I blame Jay Nolly. He doesn't marshall the defense well, he doesn't make good decisions, and his distribution is awful (although improved somewhat yesterday). I don't understand how TT can be blindly loyal to Jay, when he has one of the best keepers in MLS history sitting on the bench making $200k. Makes no sense.

Otherwise, there are too many guys who concede possession too cheaply. Leathers had a tough game and doesn't bring much going forward, but he's been generally pretty tidy at the back. Wagner on the other hand (who played ok yesterday) can't be trusted with the ball. Harmse, Knight, Brovsky and Khalfan (ignoring some moments of brilliance) also fall into this category. Hopefully injuries are to blame here. Hopefully.

I also don't understand why Hassli won't simply hold up the ball. His technical skill is great, but a lot of his quick touches were wasted on teammates who can't keep up.

Agree with YNWA here, NOlly has been unimpressive and he's a MLS back up at best. Vancouver needs better goalkeeping and Cannon should be given a couple of games soon.

Also agree about Hassli, I didn't understood why he was trying to play quick fancy pass on some occasion. He would be better serve by holding onto the ball a little longer.

Archived