TFC @ San Jose - April 9th, 2011

jpg75

I noticed the same thing. For 1.7 million a year he better lay off the buffet

IMO he looks like he doesn't give a **** anymore, he's just collecting a paycheque. His signing with TFC is one of the worst things to have happened to the MNT in the last few years....or maybe not, if you believe he's one of the vacationers and he's doing us a favour by working himself out of the MNT picture.

IMO he looks like he doesn't give a **** anymore, he's just collecting a paycheque. His signing with TFC is one of the worst things to have happened to the MNT in the last few years....or maybe not, if you believe he's one of the vacationers and he's doing us a favour by working himself out of the MNT picture.

I think it's a bit harsh. I get where the anti JDG are coming from, but lets give him a real shot to prove himself this year.

If he played in a poor system with a wonky knee last year. FINE. Lets let him play more than 45 minutes before making blunt assessments, no?

He seems very excited to be here and pleased with the team, there's no more excuses. Let him play and we'll judge him as he goes.

I'm basing my opinion on a season and a half, and from what i see he's been going through the motions compared to how he played at Depor. Hopefully he realizes turning 30 that time is running out and it lights a fire under his ass.

I'm basing my opinion on a season and a half, and from what i see he's been going through the motions compared to how he played at Depor. Hopefully he realizes turning 30 that time is running out and it lights a fire under his ass.

Given his work rate throughout his career, I'm going to go with his knee issues putting him behind the last season and a half. But prior to hearing about his knee surgery I was pondering much the same, and I have been his number 1 fan since he was 19 or so.

If he played in a poor system with a wonky knee last year. FINE. Lets let him play more than 45 minutes before making blunt assessments, no?

I don't buy the Preki system to explain JDG problems last year. Apparently he is an excellent Defensive Midfielder. If I'm a DM I think I would look better if I play in a defensive and compact system than an offensive one. I could undertsand if we were talking about an offensive player but JDG isn't one of those unless he plays against Costa Rica.

It might be the knee but people have to stop explaining all our players problems with the system and coach.

I don't buy the Preki system to explain JDG problems last year. Apparently he is an excellent Defensive Midfielder. If I'm a DM I think I would look better if I play in a defensive and compact system than an offensive one. I could undertsand if we were talking about an offensive player but JDG isn't one of those unless he plays against Costa Rica.

It might be the knee but people have to stop explaining all our players problems with the system and coach.

Well if a player isn't comfortable with what his teammates are doing, it's hard to be effective. I'm not trying to use it as an excuse for him, I'm going by what he's telling us. He's the pro player so if that's what he thinks, I'll trust it. This year that excuse is no longer valid because he's said otherwise. So if he doesn't turn into the player he's expected to be, feel free to hang him.

He had some really strong games. I thought he outplayed Beckerman in one match and he was vital in the matches vs Motagua away and both fixtures vs Cruz Azul, but interspersed with those efforts were more anonymous and disappointing ones. You never know how much injuries come into play but that should apply to all players: during the history of this club there have been former players here who have underperformed but I am sure have also suffered from (or needed more time to recover from) injuries and yet weren't afforded the same benefit of the doubt when there performances were assessed.

It will be an interesting midfield match up this evening with both teams having a big, box to box midfield presence (Tchani vs Khari Stephenson) working in tandem with a smaller linking/holding mid (Cronin vs JDG, should he start). I think Deguzman will need a few matches to get into the swing of things, but as suggested already he doesn't get the same slack as he had in his first year and half. I hope he returns to his best form sooner than later.

Probably a topic of its own, not fit for this thread (sorry), but what do people think of how the Dunfield vs. Julian debate of 2001 looks ten years later? I'm not saying Paul James was correct to do what he did, I just see a bit of irony that Julian raised his game to the highest level possible -debatably higher than any Canadian- and Dunfield was serving coffee to survive. Now, they seem to me to be in direct competition for a role with MNT -as they were with the U20s. Personally, I don't think there's a comparison to Julian of '07 and modern day Dunfield. I'm actually not as impressed with Terry as some have been here. But Julian of '11 is struggling, and the one thing I see with Dunfield is an infectious enthusiasm that really rallies his teammates. I think we need this so bad on the MNT. Not that we can't have both guys at the top of their game, but given how well Hutch and Will Johnson are playing these two guys may have to fight it out for the third spot in our midfield. Pretty interesting history, imo.

Probably a topic of its own, not fit for this thread (sorry), but what do people think of how the Dunfield vs. Julian debate of 2001 looks ten years later? I'm not saying Paul James was correct to do what he did, I just see a bit of irony that Julian raised his game to the highest level possible -debatably higher than any Canadian- and Dunfield was serving coffee to survive. Now, they seem to me to be in direct competition for a role with MNT -as they were with the U20s. Personally, I don't think there's a comparison to Julian of '07 and modern day Dunfield. I'm actually not as impressed with Terry as some have been here. But Julian of '11 is struggling, and the one thing I see with Dunfield is an infectious enthusiasm that really rallies his teammates. I think we need this so bad on the MNT. Not that we can't have both guys at the top of their game, but given how well Hutch and Will Johnson are playing these two guys may have to fight it out for the third spot in our midfield. Pretty interesting history, imo.

I think JDG is victim of his pre-MLS career while Dunfield benefits from it. The expectations for JDG were really high while expectations for Dunfield were pretty low since he was basically a L2 journeyman. I think that's why some of us are excited to see him challenging for a MNT spot with his club play.

I'm just happy on a MNT perspective since you have now some competition for the central midfield spots, something that didn't exist in the recent past.

I think JDG is victim of his pre-MLS career while Dunfield benefits from it. The expectations for JDG were really high while expectations for Dunfield were pretty low since he was basically a L2 journeyman.

You hit the nail square on the head, mon ami. I would also suggest that JDG's heavyweight contract and DP status has not done him any favours in this league.

But that's the past: it's all about now and if he consistently starts to look like the JDG of old and not simply an old JDG, with the team winning in the process, the past isn't going to matter (from my perspective, at least).

Archived