13- D- Andres Fresenga | URU / Racing Club de Montevideo

14- F- Coulton Jackson | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC Residency

15- F- Massimo Mirabelli | CAN / Portugal FC

16- RB/CB- Roger Thompson | USA / University of Cincinnati

17- F- Lucas Cavallini | URU / Club Nacional

18- GK- Jordan Santiago | ENG / Cardiff City FC

19- F- Jordan Ongaro | USA / San Diego State University

20- RB/CB- Francesco Augustin | CAN / Académie Impact Montréal

I really don't know enough from that group to guess a starting 11. I guess Teibert, Latendresse, Gage and Henry should all start but can't guess the others.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Final roster is up:

CANADA

1- GK- Julien Latendresse Lévesque | GER / FC Energie Cottbus

2- CB- Tristan Grant | URU / Club Nacional

3- M/F- Ben Fisk | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC

4- CB/RB- Doneil Henry | CAN / Toronto FC

5- CB- Derrick Bassi |

6- M- Matt Stinson | CAN / Toronto FC

7- M- Russell Teibert | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC

8- M- Ethan Gage | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC

9- F- Stefan Cebara | HUN / Zalaegerszegi TE

10- M- Jonathan Osorio | URU / Club Nacional

11- M- John Pegg | USA / San Diego State University

12- F- Justin Maheu | GER / Fortuna Düsseldorf

13- D- Andres Fresenga | URU / Racing Club de Montevideo

14- F- Coulton Jackson | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC Residency

15- F- Massimo Mirabelli | CAN / Portugal FC

16- RB/CB- Roger Thompson | USA / University of Cincinnati

17- F- Lucas Cavallini | URU / Club Nacional

18- GK- Jordan Santiago | ENG / Cardiff City FC

19- F- Jordan Ongaro | USA / San Diego State University

20- RB/CB- Francesco Augustin | CAN / Académie Impact Montréal

I really don't know enough from that group to guess a starting 11. I guess Teibert, Latendresse, Gage and Henry should all start but can't guess the others.

Gazzola spoke highly of Thompson and Bassli, so I wouldn't be shocked to see the two of them as the CB pairing.

Weird to think a guy like Gage is still U-20. It feels like he's been around for years. I know Gage is polarizing among Canadians, but I really like him. I think he could prove to be a big part of this team if used effectively.

According to the final roster released by the CSA today, Henry will rejoin the U20's (while Morgan will remain at TFC, of course). Stinson was with the U20's the entire time, as I mentioned earlier in the thread.

Attakora had a nagging thigh injury suffered in the season opener, nothing too serious, but enough to keep him from dressing yesterday. That made Henry the de facto #3 CB for TFC.

Yourassowski is the #1 LB for TFC, with no real clear #2. Cann was a disaster there, Harden is not much better as a LB, and Sturgis can play there if needed (but he's DM cover for JDG at the moment). That left Morgan as the only other natural LB available to TFC yesterday.

But of course, Lord Bob plugging his ears yelling "la la la, I'm right and you're wrong" is a much more measured response than simply looking at the facts as they are.

I'd picked Russel Teibert (whose not 100%) as one of the Whitecaps 3 stars the first 2 games. How does that not hurt them by his absence (more so, than Morgan) yet off he goes to Guatamala. Hurt in the midfield for Vancouver is Michael Nanchoff, John Thorrington, Shea Salinas and Davide Chiumiento (and if he's not hurt he'll likely replace Hassli as a withdrawn Striker, the Mikael Yourassowsky comparison). Yet off he goes to Guatamala. That is, if they're not all hurt after that PPL travesty.

On a CSN thread your claim was that TFC is a more reliable feeder to the National Team than the MLS Whitecaps, now that that proves not to be the case (standards can be so inconvienient) your cant changes (convenient)?

They let DeRo and Cann go when they were in Turkey and has asked for compromises when they were loosing (sic) 4 starting players in an important stretch of the season.

You are just trying to split hairs between the 2 situations.

That was the preseason. What would be the issue? Players that were making the team would be getting minutes in Greece anyway and there'd be more space to trial players they weren't so sure about. That's one thick hair.

I'd picked Russel Teibert (whose not 100%) as one of the Whitecaps 3 stars the first 2 games. How does that not hurt them by his absence (more so, than Morgan) yet off he goes to Guatamala. Hurt in the midfield for Vancouver is Michael Nanchoff, John Thorrington, Shea Salinas and Davide Chiumiento (and if he's not hurt he'll likely replace Hassli as a withdrawn Striker, the Mikael Yourassowsky comparison). Yet off he goes to Guatamala. That is, if they're not all hurt after that PPL travesty.

You're not arguing the same point. We were pointing out how Lord Bob was hypocritical for calling out TFC when Vancouver were doing the same thing ie. keeping one of their U20 players for yesterdays game.

You're not arguing the same point.

I'm arguing with Rudi, who on the CSN website claimed 'the expectation' was that Doneil Henry and Ashtone Morgan would return to Guatamala directly after the Portland game. Which seemed 'fair', somewhat needless (tiring), but fair for that's what the Whitecaps are doing with Teibert, but now that that no longer seems to be the case, on this thread he's arguing the Reds are justified in doing something different. He just seems to be arguing both sides of the coin. It's great to support your team, but support your own credibility too. He said that the Whitecaps have "token Canadian content". Russel Teibert's is not just some equal opportunity hire, he's on the squad due to merit and in spite of that, off he goes to Guatamala. Claiming TFC is superior; meanwhile the Cap's will have 4 players on that roster and the Reds will have 2.

Couldn't Alen Stevanović provide cover at midfield?

I'm not sure whether you're deliberately misunderstanding my argument for partisan effect or whether I really didn't make it clearly. Either way, I have no idea what the hell else I can do to get through to you.

If you can't see the point everyone else is making - not just me - then you're the one misunderstanding for partisan effect. IMO you now realize you wrote your article prematurely, expecting that TFC were recalling both players with the aim of keeping them from going to Guatemala and now that it's been pointed out that wasn't the case (until the Yourassowksy red) you're stuck in an argument you didn't want to get into, but you won't back down from it for fear of admitting you're wrong and showed poor judgement writing that article.

Strider, whatever Rudi said i can't speak to, that's between you and him....re: Stevanovic, he's a mid but the cover Morgan is providing is at the LB position. Unless you mean Stevanovic could cover at LB? I doubt it, he's an offensive player.

If you think I don't make stupid predictions and admit when I'm wrong, you should read me more closely. Sincerely, a guy who openly mocked the Whitecaps for signing that piece of crap Terry Dunfield and thought that Willis Forko would be a heck of a USSF D2 left back.

I'm arguing with Rudi, who on the CSN website claimed 'the expectation' was that Doneil Henry and Ashtone Morgan would return to Guatamala directly after the Portland game. Which seemed 'fair', somewhat needless (tiring), but fair for that's what the Whitecaps are doing with Teibert, but now that that no longer seems to be the case, on this thread he's arguing the Reds are justified in doing something different. He just seems to be arguing both sides of the coin. It's great to support your team, but support your own credibility too. He said that the Whitecaps have "token Canadian content". Russel Teibert's is not just some equal opportunity hire, he's on the squad due to merit and in spite of that, off he goes to Guatamala. Claiming TFC is superior; meanwhile the Cap's will have 4 players on that roster and the Reds will have 2.

Er, what?

You're throwing about three different points at me. I'll try to sift through them.

When I said that "the expectation" was for Henry and Morgan to return, I was pretty much echoing Gazzola's words on the subject verbatim. "Expecting" is different from "guaranteed", and that's exactly how I took it. Whether you took those words to mean something else is down to your interpretation.

Some were calling BS on Winter's justification for recalling the two defenders, and yet we later found out that Attakora had been battling an injury all week and ultimately couldn't dress for the match on Saturday. That changes the argument, IMO.

If Winter was simply doing it out of spite (or as a calculated move, as I speculated at the time), and then decided to simply keep both players from participating in a tourney for which they were already released, then I'd agree it would have been a dick move and one that should be called out as such.

But we now know that there were legitimate depth concerns with Attakora's injury, so as I said, it changes things.

Much has been made of the agreement that the Whitecaps had an agreement with Gazzola in that they would hold on to him until after the Philly game and then release him to the U-20s. How do we know that a similar agreement had not been struck with TFC, in that they'd be able to recall certain players if need be? (I wish I had thought of this when I spoke to Gazzola, but conference calls are haphazard at best).

Anyway, if you want to claim that this one roster proves that Vancouver has not been sticking to just above the bare minimum of Canadian content, then c'est la vie. I'm not sure how I can argue such an obvious point any more clearly.

Couldn't Alen Stevanović provide cover at midfield?

We're not talking about the midfield. Doneil Henry and Ashtone Morgan are defenders.

Matt Stinson is a midfielder, and he's in Guatemala with the U-20s. Gazzola told me that he considered calling Oscar Cordon (another TFC midfielder), but didn't see him as a starter, so he decided to leave him with TFC.

Archived