Canada announces roster for U-20 camp

loyola

No, if I called them "the FCs" I'd be baiting. I just can't understand how people on what is allegedly a Canadian national team supporters' board are just fine with our clubs (regardless of which club it is) yanking our national program's chain for any reason or no reason at all. This isn't a Toronto thing or a Vancouver thing. Since Toronto has always been so uptight about their players representing Canada of course I'm less patient with them, but if the Whitecaps whine about the possibility of losing Terry Dunfield for the Gold Cup because waaaah, he'll be gone for weeks, I'll say the same thing.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No, if I called them "the FCs" I'd be baiting. I just can't understand how people on what is allegedly a Canadian national team supporters' board are just fine with our clubs (regardless of which club it is) yanking our national program's chain for any reason or no reason at all. This isn't a Toronto thing or a Vancouver thing. Since Toronto has always been so uptight about their players representing Canada of course I'm less patient with them, but if the Whitecaps whine about the possibility of losing Terry Dunfield for the Gold Cup because waaaah, he'll be gone for weeks, I'll say the same thing.

Exactly, this isn't Usector, Southsiders or Red Patch forums.

This is Voyaguers, and we all have the right, no we all should be a little ticked off that a team in Canada that praises there commitment to the National program yanked two U-20 kids from a tourney we were gonna have troubles with even with them in the fold.

Winter and TFC, just better use Morgan and Henry or send them back to the U-20's it's the only fair thing, The Caps have lost Chiumiento and Khaflan, while Salinas is already out, Yet we are still sending our only other real winger to the U-20 camp with no qualms. It's a part of MLS life.

Could have fooled me. Your previous posts have had a very Toronto bad-Vancouver good for Canadian soccer slant.

At this point i'm going to wait and see if TFC release the players for qualifying. If they don't i'm going to **** fire all over the place and call them out, hell i'll track down Aron Winter's phone number and distribute it to everyone. But until that happens i'm going to assume something has changed and he needs the players as back up for today's game.

As far as i'm concerned, as of right now both clubs are in the same level of wrong and regardless of whether they made their plans known to the U20 coaching staff ahead of time Vancouver are being equally selfish. What if Teibert gets hurt today and can't play in the U20's, does it make any difference that they let Gazzola know ahead of time?

"Hey Val,

FYI - Teibert's hamstring is a little stiff, but we're going to play him for 65 minutes on Saturday and then you can have him, thanks.

Your pal, Bobby"

Nana was hurt and didn't dress today which meant Harden partnering Cann in the middle, so we needed Henry as our #3 CB.

Yourassowsky started at LB and he picked up a stupid red card (courtesy of Cdn ref Silviu Petrescu) which means Morgan has gone from being the backup at LB to possible starter and may miss the U20's altogether - just ****in' great!

The Caps have lost Chiumiento and Khaflan, while Salinas is already out, Yet we are still sending our only other real winger to the U-20 camp with no qualms. It's a part of MLS life.

No you did not lose Khalfan.

The first U20 game is monday. Teibert already missed the camp. The caps just played him injured two days before the first U20 game. But the caps are faultless while TFC is the devil. Keep the hypocrisy going.

The first U20 game is monday. Teibert already missed the camp. The caps just played him injured two days before the first U20 game. But the caps are faultless while TFC is the devil. Keep the hypocrisy going.

You're treating limiting the team's most effective offensive weapon's playing time and sending him to our national team when it might be better for the Whitecaps to keep him at home as selfish, whereas bringing back two players so they can sit around doing nothing useful as completely fine. Seriously, are you okay? Do you have a family doctor you can go see?

You're treating limiting the team's most effective offensive weapon's playing time and sending him to our national team when it might be better for the Whitecaps to keep him at home as selfish, whereas bringing back two players so they can sit around doing nothing useful as completely fine. Seriously, are you okay? Do you have a family doctor you can go see?

Morgan played today. Attakora was injured and didn't dress leaving Henry as the only central defensive cover.

That's right, Doneil Henry didn't play. Thanks for pointing that out. I suppose Ashtone Morgan did get in at 87' because Winter just wanted to get the kid some playing time. So in case you're keeping score at home, a guy named "CanadianSoccerFan" thinks our youth national team is worth less than an average of two completely meaningless minutes per player.

That's right, Doneil Henry didn't play. Thanks for pointing that out. I suppose Ashtone Morgan did get in at 87' because Winter just wanted to get the kid some playing time. So in case you're keeping score at home, a guy named "CanadianSoccerFan" thinks our youth national team is worth less than an average of two completely meaningless minutes per player.

And Morgan will play next week because of a red card to a key player at the Left back position. Had Morgan gone off to the camp, he wouldn't have been able to have a crack at that position at all. I would argue getting pro playing minutes is far more important than playing in a U-20 tournament at this stage. If this was the senior national team, it'd be a different story Ben. But it's not. It's playing v. other U-20s.

Morgan will learn more playing against older players than he will by playing against younger players. End of story. Thanks for coming out.

I would concede the "pro minutes vs men" argument if this wasn't the most important tournament of the year for the U20s. If you believe qualifying for the U20 world cup is something worthwhile (I do) then the best players should be there. Period. I would have preferred if Vancouver had sent Teibert directly instead of getting 65 minutes out of him first when he wasn't 100% healthy, and I also would prefer that Toronto find another way to deal with their current injury/suspension situation. But I'm a Canada fan first and all these players should be with the team. You'll probably hear the same line from me come Gold Cup time.

I'm not sure I get your point. You can't be defending Vancouver (who played Teibert today) while criticizing TFC for keeping both Henry and Morgan. Both clubs felt those players were important for today game. Even of Morgan and Henry were on the bench the point remains that they were an early injury or ejection away from playing important minutes in today game.

I also would've prefer to see both clubs releasing those players for the full camp but none of the 2 clubs did act worst than the other one. They did the exact same thing.

I would concede the "pro minutes vs men" argument if this wasn't the most important tournament of the year for the U20s. If you believe qualifying for the U20 world cup is something worthwhile (I do) then the best players should be there. Period. I would have preferred if Vancouver had sent Teibert directly instead of getting 65 minutes out of him first when he wasn't 100% healthy, and I also would prefer that Toronto find another way to deal with their current injury/suspension situation. But I'm a Canada fan first and all these players should be with the team. You'll probably hear the same line from me come Gold Cup time.

It might be easier for Vancouver to deal with the GC because they have only have Dunfield who has a chance of getting call (maybe Teibert). TFC has more potential players who could get the call (DeRo, JDG, Cann, Nana and even Zavarise but that's unlikely).

I still wouldn't blame a club who try to work some sort of compromise in case 3-4 players get the call. The problem is the calendar, not the clubs.

So in case you're keeping score at home, a guy named "CanadianSoccerFan" thinks our youth national team is worth less than an average of two completely meaningless minutes per player.

I can't believe you're writing for CSN with such childish responses as this and your "go see a doctor" line. Exposing hypocrisy is not the same as putting club before country. I want all of our U20 players in Guatemala to get 3 points against Guadeloupe on Monday just like you do.

I'm not sure I get your point. You can't be defending Vancouver (who played Teibert today) while criticizing TFC for keeping both Henry and Morgan. Both clubs felt those players were important for today game. Even of Morgan and Henry were on the bench the point remains that they were an early injury or ejection away from playing important minutes in today game.

I also would've prefer to see both clubs releasing those players for the full camp but none of the 2 clubs did act worst than the other one. They did the exact same thing.

This thread has wandered a bit so I'll sum up.

1) Vancouver said they'd make Teibert available for the U-20 matches and restrict his playing time with the senior team even though he's a core member. They did this. I think this is good. I don't pretend to think it's great, or that it's as good for the U-20 team as letting Teibert go for the entire camp and skip the Philadelphia match. But I think it's good.

2) Toronto said they'd make Stinson, Henry, and Morgan available for the camp and the matches because they're bench players at best. They pulled Henry and Morgan back without really needing to and went back on their word. I think this is bad for Canada and probably bad for the players involved. As it transpires, the team needs Morgan. If, after Yourassowsky had been suspended, they had called Morgan back, not even I could have really complained. I am more upset with this than I would normally be because of Toronto's history of considering our national program an inconvenience rather than an opportunity.

3) If Vancouver changes their mind at the last minute and says "no, Salinas, Nanchoff, and Chiumiento are hurt so we're keeping Teibert" then they can eat **** too.

I can't believe you're writing for CSN with such childish responses as this and your "go see a doctor" line. Exposing hypocrisy is not the same as putting club before country. I want all of our U20 players in Guatemala to get 3 points against Guadeloupe on Monday just like you do.

Would it helped if I preceded every forum post with "I am writing this as a fan, not as a paid professional. I am not receiving any income for writing this forum post and am just trying to express my opinion and have fun doing so."? Your point is logically incoherent to the point of being uninterpretable. I'm not going to tone down my opinion just because I write about the Whitecaps at a few plaes.

Bingo.

Rather than have all this finger pointing from one set of supporters at another, if people want to get angry at someone or something, I suggest getting angry at FIFA for making any dilemma possible in the first place. It's their tourney, and they are allowing clubs to have the final say on who plays in it or not. This was not a problem in previous U20 tournaments because the clubs didn't have the final say.

This thread has wandered a bit so I'll sum up.

1) Vancouver said they'd make Teibert available for the U-20 matches and restrict his playing time with the senior team even though he's a core member. They did this. I think this is good. I don't pretend to think it's great, or that it's as good for the U-20 team as letting Teibert go for the entire camp and skip the Philadelphia match. But I think it's good.

2) Toronto said they'd make Stinson, Henry, and Morgan available for the camp and the matches because they're bench players at best. They pulled Henry and Morgan back without really needing to and went back on their word. I think this is bad for Canada and probably bad for the players involved. As it transpires, the team needs Morgan. If, after Yourassowsky had been suspended, they had called Morgan back, not even I could have really complained. I am more upset with this than I would normally be because of Toronto's history of considering our national program an inconvenience rather than an opportunity.

3) If Vancouver changes their mind at the last minute and says "no, Salinas, Nanchoff, and Chiumiento are hurt so we're keeping Teibert" then they can eat **** too.

Would it helped if I preceded every forum post with "I am writing this as a fan, not as a paid professional. I am not receiving any income for writing this forum post and am just trying to express my opinion and have fun doing so."? Your point is logically incoherent to the point of being uninterpretable. I'm not going to tone down my opinion just because I write about the Whitecaps at a few plaes.

I think that for any manager, any player who makes the match day squad is important regardless of whether one is starting or not. Henry and Morgan became more important with Nana injury. No real difference between what the Caps and TFC did.

I'm not sure what are the examples of TFC acting in bad faith toward our MNT program. They let DeRo and Cann go when they were in Turkey and has asked for compromises when they were loosing 4 starting players in an important stretch of the season.

You are just trying to split hairs between the 2 situations.

I think that for any manager, any player who makes the match day squad is important regardless of whether one is starting or not. Henry and Morgan became more important with Nana injury. No real difference between what the Caps and TFC did.

I'm not sure what are the examples of TFC acting in bad faith toward our MNT program. They let DeRo and Cann go when they were in Turkey and has asked for compromises when they were loosing 4 starting players in an important stretch of the season.

You are just trying to split hairs between the 2 situations.

I see a profound difference, but I suspect we'll have to agree to disagree.

Whether Henry played or not is irrelevant, if one of Cann or Harden gets hurt or red carded during the game we end up having to stick someone out of position into that CB position.

Vancouver feels they need Teibert, they keep him. TFC feel they need Morgan and Henry as cover because of injury, they recall them. There's no difference! Both clubs acted out of their own self interest. Arguing one club is more justified than the other is hypocrisy.

Whether Henry played or not is irrelevant, if one of Cann or Harden gets hurt or red carded during the game we end up having to stick someone out of position into that CB position.

Vancouver feels they need Teibert, they keep him. TFC feel they need Morgan and Henry as cover because of injury, they recall them. There's no difference! Both clubs acted out of their own self interest. Arguing one club is more justified than the other is hypocrisy.

Even if the flaws in his arguments have been exposed, I guess you'll have to agree to disagree with him....

Even if the flaws in his arguments have been exposed, I guess you'll have to agree to disagree with him....

These are the kinds of arguments that are gonna make this site a ***** to post in come next year. You're gonna have 3 different sets of supporters from clubs that play in the same league and making inflammatory comments about the other teams...oh boy.

These are the kinds of arguments that are gonna make this site a ***** to post in come next year. You're gonna have 3 different sets of supporters from clubs that play in the same league and making inflammatory comments about the other teams...oh boy.

That's how you know Canadian football will have become truly Canadian. Regions hating Regions, part of our Shame Based Heritage!

Oh, I'm still right. I just don't feel like shouting into the wind anymore. I mean, really, if I kept going I'd just wind up insulting the people who disagree with me out of frustration. You MLSE-humping national team haters you.

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but Winter was asked about whether he'd release Morgan and Henry in the TFC post-game press conference - with Morgan he said (as expected) definitely not because he doesn't have any other left-backs. With Henry, he said it depended on whether Nana recovers from his knee injury, which he earlier had said seemed likely.

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but Winter was asked about whether he'd release Morgan and Henry in the TFC post-game press conference - with Morgan he said (as expected) definitely not because he doesn't have any other left-backs. With Henry, he said it depended on whether Nana recovers from his knee injury, which he earlier had said seemed likely.

According to the final roster released by the CSA today, Henry will rejoin the U20's (while Morgan will remain at TFC, of course). Stinson was with the U20's the entire time, as I mentioned earlier in the thread.

Attakora had a nagging thigh injury suffered in the season opener, nothing too serious, but enough to keep him from dressing yesterday. That made Henry the de facto #3 CB for TFC.

Yourassowski is the #1 LB for TFC, with no real clear #2. Cann was a disaster there, Harden is not much better as a LB, and Sturgis can play there if needed (but he's DM cover for JDG at the moment). That left Morgan as the only other natural LB available to TFC yesterday.

But of course, Lord Bob plugging his ears yelling "la la la, I'm right and you're wrong" is a much more measured response than simply looking at the facts as they are.

Archived