Canada announces roster for U-20 camp

loyola

The boys at Nacional are most certainly all with that club. not sure if they are all signed to pro contracts yet but they are doing well with Nacional. Coach Carbajal observed them in person on a recent trip to the country.

Fresenga is someone to look out for in the future. He's a great find for Canada and a name to watch in the future for the senior MNT.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The boys at Nacional are most certainly all with that club. not sure if they are all signed to pro contracts yet but they are doing well with Nacional. Coach Carbajal observed them in person on a recent trip to the country.

Fresenga is someone to look out for in the future. He's a great find for Canada and a name to watch in the future for the senior MNT.

Dino, any update with Miltown FC?

I'm disappointed with the lack of timely updates from the CSA about this squad.

Dino, do you know if Papaterpos and Portillo are still at Nacional aswell?

Ok, could be that too! ;)

It's still hard to believe. He is not even on the first team! that would be a new low for a club to hold back a player from their youth side or reserve team from joining his national side. An indispensable first teamer from a top flight side, I might understand. But for players on the second team or youth side, that's a battle that is certainly not worth fighting if you are a club.

Here is another report. But they are probably quoting the same source. If all is true as it is reported then surely the CSA has a very strong case to file a compliant to FIFA against Mainz 05.

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1589/canada/2011/03/24/2410125/mainz-05-refuses-to-release-jaineil-hoilett-to-canada-for

Coverage of the game can still be frustrating in this country. Here you have report that is just screaming for details but non are made available and nobody asks the obvious followup questions.

Well, it's not like Mainz has any stake in the success of Canadian soccer. I mean, imagine if a Canadian club pulled back two of its players from key youth international duties even though they're not starters on the club team! Why, we'd all have to turn on that Canadian club with the same venom we're treating FC Mainz 05.

Well, it's not like Mainz has any stake in the success of Canadian soccer. I mean, imagine if a Canadian club pulled back two of its players from key youth international duties even though they're not starters on the club team! Why, we'd all have to turn on that Canadian club with the same venom we're treating FC Mainz 05.

It would almost be as bad as a club loudly advocating for the elimination of all Canadian quota spots in MLS...

The rocks are located to your left, Ben. Feel free to toss them in your glass house.

Now completely different story...

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1589/canada/2011/03/25/2410979/mainz-defends-refusal-to-release-hoilett-for-canadian

This exclusive statement was given to Goal.com Germany on the situation by a Mainz representative.

"Of course Mainz will let Janeil (sic) Hoilett go during the official FIFA time window (22 - 29th of March). The request from the Canadian FA was dated until April 11th. Because the Mainz Youth Team plays three matches between March 29th until April 11th, Mainz could not agree with this. The Canadian FA decided after this to not call up the player at all."

Now completely different story...

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1589/canada/2011/03/25/2410979/mainz-defends-refusal-to-release-hoilett-for-canadian

This exclusive statement was given to Goal.com Germany on the situation by a Mainz representative.

"Of course Mainz will let Janeil (sic) Hoilett go during the official FIFA time window (22 - 29th of March). The request from the Canadian FA was dated until April 11th. Because the Mainz Youth Team plays three matches between March 29th until April 11th, Mainz could not agree with this. The Canadian FA decided after this to not call up the player at all."

Strange. I was under the impression that qualifers for U20 WC were official FIFA matches and that clubs were required to release the players. But that goal.com article - and Mainz 05's response - suggests that's not the case.

I was just on Sportsnet.ca and saw Dobber's tweet about Doneil Henry and Ashtone Morgan having not yet been released to play by TFC....seriously, did FIFA change their regulations recently or something? I don't ever recall any of our players having a problem getting released by their club for U20 qualifying in the past decade.

It would almost be as bad as a club loudly advocating for the elimination of all Canadian quota spots in MLS...

The rocks are located to your left, Ben. Feel free to toss them in your glass house.

I don't recall Toronto FC coming out in defense of the Canadian quota. Bob Lenarduzzi got in the press because he rose to the bait the CSA VP put out in a statement. You have sources in Toronto FC so maybe you know they were in favour of keeping the Canadian quota. Actually, you may recall, so was I.

I'm not here to say "everything the Whitecaps do is fair and right." Quite the opposite, I'm probably more inclined to complain about their screwups than you are because I care about them. But whether it's sending Terry Dunfield to a meaningless friendly against the Honduras "B" team in the middle of a playoff run, or giving up our injured Russell Teibert to the U-20 team and even restricting his playing time in Philadelphia to ensure he's in the best shape for Canada, the Whitecaps do more good for their country with a handful of Canadians on the senior team than Toronto does with a legion of them.

I was just on Sportsnet.ca and saw Dobber's tweet about Doneil Henry and Ashtone Morgan having not yet been released to play by TFC....seriously, did FIFA change their regulations recently or something? I don't ever recall any of our players having a problem getting released by their club for U20 qualifying in the past decade.

They must have done so. On the TFC tv website they have a new interview up with Aron Winter at the end of which Dobson asks him whether he will release Henry & Morgan for the U20 qualifiers - his answer is "It depends on if I need them". So it sounds like the U20's are at the same status as the Olympic qualifiers in that respect.

Funny, but Russell Teibert has been called back by Vancouver and he won't be joining the U20's in Guatemala until Sunday.

People around here probably shouldn't be writing condemning articles and making sweeping generalizations about opposing clubs until all the facts are in, don'tcha think?

Funny, but Russell Teibert has been called back by Vancouver and he won't be joining the U20's in Guatemala until Sunday.

People around here probably shouldn't be writing condemning articles and making sweeping generalizations about opposing clubs until all the facts are in, don'tcha think?

Its going to take talent alone on this U20 team to advance

Not really. Teibert's participation in the Philadelphia game was always part of the deal rather than a last minute "oh nooooo injury concerns". Plus, again, he's starting at left midfield (although the Whitecaps have decided to limit him to around 65 minutes so he's in the best shape possible for Canada). And I'm still curious to see whether Henry and Morgan will actually re-join Canada since TFC hasn't said they will yet. Hope so.

Not really. Teibert's participation in the Philadelphia game was always part of the deal rather than a last minute "oh nooooo injury concerns". Plus, again, he's starting at left midfield (although the Whitecaps have decided to limit him to around 65 minutes so he's in the best shape possible for Canada). And I'm still curious to see whether Henry and Morgan will actually re-join Canada since TFC hasn't said they will yet. Hope so.

I don't see the significance of there being a prior arrangment or not, if TFC has decided they need them there on the bench that's their business and they have a right to change their mind, just as Vancouver decided they needed Teibert on the field. The only thing that matters is whether they end up in Guatemala. If TFC doesn't release them, then you have a reason to *****, until then you're just on a witch hunt.

Archived