Toronto FC: Nathan Stugis 14' PK

Charleston Battery: Dane Kelly 43', Mike Zaher 57'

Missed Penalty:

Toronto FC: None

Charleston Battery: Mike Zaher 57'

Caution summary:

Toronto FC: Nick La Brocca 55'

Charleston: Mike Zaher 27', Evan Taylor 36', Dane Kelly 45'

Toronto FC (4-3-3): Stefan Frei, Ty Harden (Dan Gargan 46'), Nana Attakora (Ashtone Morgan 46’), Dicoy Williams, Mikael Yourassowsky, Nick LaBrocca (Matt Gold 58'), Oscar Cordon (Andrew Ornoch 63'), Nathan Sturgis, Jacob Peterson, Javier Martina, Keith Makubuya (Nick Soolsma 70')

Charleston (4-4-2): Keith Wiggans (Andrew Dykstra 46’), Nigel Marples, Graham Dugoni (Mark Wiltze 46'), Sean Flately (Gui Keis 46'), Mike Zaher, Zach Prince (Jose Cuevas 46'), Kevin Jackson (Luke Mulholand 46'), Evan Taylor (Alex Caskey 46'), J.C. Mack (Jerry Santol 46'), Dane Kelly (Nico Rittemeyer 62'), Levi Coleman (Seedy Bait 46')

Think Mike Zaher was a later round TFC draft pick back in 2008 for what it's worth.

From an outsider's perspective, who's read a bit of the TFC coverage this preseason, I'd just like to say that friendlies don't mean anything. Should Caps fans be excited they beat three MLS sides in preseason? Of course not. We know there's no way an expansion side could compete with well established pros like Ty Harden and Jacob Peterson. In Vancouver, we are just wasting our time signing players who aren't good enough to be capped by third world coutries like Switzerland. And who cares if they're French? Never let the details get in the way, I say...

In my opinion, which I get from reading genius reports from TFC fans who are also, conveniently, "journalists", TFC can totally discount their multiples abysmal defeats against division 2 sides. Once Derosario and DeGuzman return, this side will be playing total football -because that's really what they're used to with Canada. As we all know. Then TFC will march on to crush the Whitecaps and all their other rivals, on their way to the playoffs. I'm sure the local "media" must be right about this. It makes "total" sense to me. I know signing Nick Soolsma wouldn't at all make me think we're headed for dead last in the table and a horribly embarrassing season that will probably culminate with yet another firing and yet another change in direction.

From an outsider's perspective, who's read a bit of the TFC coverage this preseason, I'd just like to say that friendlies don't mean anything. Should Caps fans be excited they beat three MLS sides in preseason? Of course not. We know there's no way an expansion side could compete with well established pros like Ty Harden and Jacob Peterson. In Vancouver, we are just wasting our time signing players who aren't good enough to be capped by third world coutries like Switzerland. And who cares if they're French? Never let the details get in the way, I say...

In my opinion, which I get from reading genius reports from TFC fans who are also, conveniently, "journalists", TFC can totally discount their multiples abysmal defeats against division 2 sides. Once Derosario and DeGuzman return, this side will be playing total football -because that's really what they're used to with Canada. As we all know. Then TFC will march on to crush the Whitecaps and all their other rivals, on their way to the playoffs. I'm sure the local "media" must be right about this. It makes "total" sense to me. I know signing Nick Soolsma wouldn't at all make me think we're headed for dead last in the table and a horribly embarrassing season that will probably culminate with yet another firing and yet another change in direction.

We get it, you don't agree with what Duane Rollins writes.

I'm not sure what to make of TFC this pre-season. Every time I see Winter on camera, he looks very uncomfortable trying to explain what went wrong or that the results don't matter. I'm not sure if it is because of the language barrier or what. Signing the three Dutch players will definitley help the team (how could they make it worse?) but that roster needs a lot of bodies. The horrible mistakes and stupid deals made by Mo will haunt the team for this year and perhaps longer. I'm very interested in seeing if De Guzman will look like the player we know and love for Canada or if he will do a repeat of last year.

Losing to a 3rd division side like Charleston is not a good omen, but it is just pre-season. Let us see what happens when the real season begins.

If you are a girl then would you go out with me?

I am sure my wife wouldn't mind.

Sarcasm, the grumpy man's wit. Say what you will, but there are lot of good "journalists" putting more into footy in the this country than i'm betting you do, all while helping raise the Vees profile. But by all means, come on the forum we all share and tear them down. You have a ****load of posts, you should know better.

It would be one thing if your post was funny, but as someone who IS funny, it wasn't. It screams of penis envy. I hope you make it out for the USA game and share your anti Toronto sentiment. I imagine your 2,500 mile buffer zone is the source of your volume. As a result, I'll look for the quiet guy in the out of date Liverpool Torres shirt sitting in the corner by himself.

Sorry everyone, I can't lay off high fastballs.

^I do agree that I shouldn't be posting club oriented antagonizing posts on the forum. I said I wouldn't do this and, as I'm sure someone would be willing to attest, I've been pretty good in spite of all the temptation to throw my 2 cents into the Grizzly/Rudi rows. However, an article linked on our home page was absolutely rubbish. If the Vs are going to endorse these writers, they should be open to criticism from the members. I don't want to encourage any blog traffic -which may be driving some of the content- so I posted here.

For the rest, I think I'm missing your point? You seem to be reading a lot into my personal life. I'm not hiding. My name is fully disclosed here and on the Facebook page. You can get a hold of me anytime. If you want to fight to the death to defend the honour of media guy, let me know.

I don't hate Toronto. I was born there. My sister lives there. As I said to JP in another thread, most V's, particularly those from Vancouver, have been pretty supportive of TFC -or at least neutral- for the past 4 years. The predictions of who will finish where are obviously biased by your home team, but the apparent inability to check any facts opens up these comments to criticsim -sarcastic or otherwise.

The timing of this loss to Charleston seemed like an appropriate time as many of the arguments in the piece I'm thinking of revolved around calling our club an "expansion team." I don't know what these means exactly as VWFC is a club which has been around in one form or another since 1974. 1 NASL title, 5 Canadian Soccer League titles, 4 cups, 2 USL league titles. Alumni who include Bruce Gobbelaar, Peter Beardsley, Alan Ball, and countless former and current Canadian internationals.

I would think any analysis by a V would, at very least, respect this history.

So Vancouver is not an MLS expansion team, because another, unrelated team named Whitecaps has some success in the old NASL?

And it's not an MLS expansion team, because another team named Whitecaps (that shares some staff with the current MLS 'Caps) had success in division 2?

It's not an MLS expansion team because the Vancouver 86ers won CSL titles?

All of that stuff is admirable (I truly do mean that, as I have a lot of respect for what those previous Vancouver sides have done for the sport), but does not change the fact that Vancouver are indeed an MLS expansion team. They took part in the 2011 MLS expansion draft, paid a $35 million expansion fee, and even call themselves an expansion side.

If the San Jose Earthquakes (who re-entered the league in 2008), Seattle Sounders, and Montreal Impact can accept being MLS expansion sides, why can't you? It's not a disrespectful term, it's simply the truth.

^Do Montreal or Seattle think of themselves as an expansion team? I don't think so. I understand that this is the technical classification of MLS, but VWFC is very much a football club regardless of the current envionment in which it operates. From the looks of things, our starting 11 on the 19th will have 7 or 8 players from the USSF D-2. Most of the expansion picks were dealt and I expect those aquired in the college draft -other than Salgado who was in our camp previously- will feature primarily with the reserves.

^Do Montreal or Seattle think of themselves as an expansion team? I don't think so. I understand that this is the technical classification of MLS, but VWFC is very much a football club regardless of the current envionment in which it operates. From the looks of things, our starting 11 on the 19th will have 7 or 8 players from the USSF D-2. Most of the expansion picks were dealt and I expect those aquired in the college draft -other than Salgado who was in our camp previously- will feature primarily with the reserves.

Regardless of what they "think of themselves as", the fact is that they are (Vancouver & Portland), were (Seattle), and will be (Montreal) MLS expansion sides.

You were the one talking about fact checking. I'm simply stating the facts.

It's going to be great with the addition of teams like Vancouver, Montreal and Portland which have a solid history. Vancouver has also made some good signings and is playing good football, I'm curious to see how they play this season. Allthough preseason doesn't mean anything they certainly had a more entertaining preseason than TFC that's for sure.

Expansion team or not the terminology really doesn't matter. Seattle, Vancouver and Portland all bring honorable and lengthy histories to MLS whereas Toronto FC was a scratch startup specifically for MLS and brought no history whatsoever, and they've yet to make any really other than their mere existence as the first Canadian MLS club ;-)

Expansion team or not the terminology really doesn't matter. Seattle, Vancouver and Portland all bring honorable and lengthy histories to MLS whereas Toronto FC was a scratch startup specifically for MLS and brought no history whatsoever, and they've yet to make any really other than their mere existence as the first Canadian MLS club ;-)

That's why I'm traveling to Vancouver next week. It's to watch their honourable and lengthy history take on my club at Empire Field.

I hear history and $35 million will get you an expansion side these days.

You don't even need history, just $35 million - otherwise TFC wouldn't have made it into MLS.

Thanks for making my point for me, Richard. You win the prize.

big-prize-color.png

TFC actually got in for $10 million. Vancouver, Seattle, Portland and Montreal all got charged the "honourable and lengthy history" tax.

I doubt our owners begrudged the $35, we not only paid a premium price but also upgraded the league with our long and honourable history and the Pacific Northwest rivalry. Would be interesting to see who would pay even $10 million for TFC right now.

Oh, and BTW, I have been a TFC supporter from day one, except when they play the Whitecaps. ;-)

Archived