TSN becomes official Canadian MLS broadcaster

jpg75

TSN and Major League Soccer (MLS) announced today they have reached a six-year broadcast rights agreement making TSN the official broadcaster of MLS in Canada. The national broadcast agreement begins this year and runs through to the 2016 season.

Under the terms of the deal TSN and TSN2 will broadcast 24 MLS regular season matches this season featuring Canadian teams Toronto FC and/or Vancouver Whitecaps FC (see MLS broadcast schedule below). In future seasons, the networks will broadcast at least 30 games featuring the three Canadian teams – including the 2012 MLS expansion team, the Montreal Impact.

All MLS games on TSN and TSN2 will be broadcast in High Definition.

http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/story/?id=353868

TSN's MLS coverage begins on Saturday, March 19 at 6:30 p.m. ET with live coverage of the first ever all-Canadian match in MLS history when the Vancouver Whitecaps FC play their first game against national rival Toronto FC.

The MLS release also indicated that they will also add selected games between 2 US based teams. 24 games this year, going up to 30 once Montreal enters the league in 2012.

Here is the TSN/TSN2 schedule as released today. There are 2 double-headers listed as well as several road games. It will be interesting to see what people they use, especially for the 2nd games.

2011 MLS Broadcast Schedule

March

� Saturday, March 19 Toronto @ Vancouver 6:30 p.m. ET (TSN)

� Saturday, March 26 Portland @ Toronto 2 p.m. ET (TSN)

April

� Saturday, April 2 Chivas @ Toronto 1 p.m. ET (TSN)

� Wednesday, April 6 New England @ Vancouver 10 p.m. ET (TSN)

May

� Saturday, May 28 New York @ Vancouver 7 p.m. ET (TSN2)

June

� Saturday, June 4 Kansas City @Toronto 7 p.m. ET (TSN)

� Saturday, June 11 Vancouver @ Seattle 10 p.m. ET (TSN2)

� Wednesday, June 15 Toronto @ New England 8 p.m. ET (TSN)

� Saturday, June 25 Vancouver @ Kansas City 8:30 p.m. ET (TSN)

� Wednesday, June 29 Vancouver @ Toronto 7:30 p.m. ET (TSN)

July

� Wednesday, July 6 Toronto @ New York 8 p.m. ET (TSN)

� Wednesday, July 6 Columbus @ Vancouver 10 p.m. ET (TSN)

� Wednesday, July 20 Dallas @ Toronto 8 p.m. ET (TSN)

� Wednesday, July 20 Vancouver @ San Jose 10 p.m. ET (TSN)

� Wednesday, July 27 MLS All Star Game 8:30 p.m. ET (TSN)

� Saturday, July 30 Los Angeles @ Vancouver 7:30 p.m. ET (TSN)

August

� Saturday, Aug. 6 Toronto @ D.C. 7:30 p.m. ET (TSN)

� Saturday, Aug. 20 Vancouver @ Portland 10 p.m. ET (TSN)

� Saturday, Aug. 27 Houston @ Vancouver 7 p.m. ET (TSN2)

September

� Saturday, Sept. 17 Colorado @ Toronto 7:30 p.m. ET (TSN)

� Saturday, Sept. 24 Seattle @ Vancouver 7:30 p.m. ET (TSN)

October

� Saturday, Oct. 1 New York @ Toronto 7:30 p.m. ET (TSN)

� Sunday, Oct. 2 Portland @ Vancouver 4:30 p.m. ET (TSN2)

� Saturday, Oct. 15 Toronto @ Philadelphia 4 p.m. ET (TSN)

� Saturday, Oct. 22 New England @ Toronto 12:30 p.m. ET (TSN)

Now does Sportsnet still have the rest of the matches and the V's Cup?

The regional rightsholders have yet to be announced, but it's rumoured that CTV BC will do most of the leftover Vancouver matches, and that Sportsnet Ontario is in the running for most of the remaining TFC matches.

Anything after that (for both teams) will probably end up on GolTV Canada.

If they can turn the CFL into a success imagine what they can do here, very impressed with the schedule... every Toronto game is on TSN and only 4 Vancouver games are on TSN2.

Good news for Canadian soccer and hopefully now the presentation is good to match, Jeremy St. Louis as Ed mentioned would be a great signing and he could last with the program for decades and be recognized.

The regional rightsholders have yet to be announced, but it's rumoured that CTV BC will do most of the leftover Vancouver matches, and that Sportsnet Ontario is in the running for most of the remaining TFC matches.

Anything after that (for both teams) will probably end up on GolTV Canada.

So for those of us with Gol, we get more out-of-town games. I hope this is true, I want to see lots of Whitecaps this summer.

Thanks for the schedule munseahawk. My initial fears of TSN2 being the main driving force has been quelled. I am very impressed to say the least with the TSN schedule.

I'm also happy with the league and how they have scheduled a lot of Saturday Toronto games at night, the time we like to watch our sports teams.

I'll be disappointed if they fob the games off to TSN 2, which I don't currently pay for.

It would have been nice to see SN get involved in covering the games, since they do a better job of covering the Canucks than CBC or TSN do.

Pretty sure what you see is what you get for the TSN schedule (plus four US vs US games) and the Caps are only on TSN 2 twice

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/content.php?1328-MLS-on-TSN-has-its-voice

Luke Wileman and Jason DeVos doing play by play and colour for TSN apparently with Vic Rauter and Noel Butler probably doing the half time studio stuff. Not a huge fan of Wileman but find him much less irritating to listen to than Nigel Reed because he does come across as being someone who is genuinely passionate about the sport rather than a rugger/cricket type who is managing to fool people into thinking he knows what he is talking about based solely on having an English accent.

• 1 month later...

TSN's game day coverage has been absolute crap in the few games they've actually broadcasted MLS games. Goltv, in my opinion, has done a thoroughly more professional and quality job in showing TFC games.

I was very optimistic about TSN before the season started, what a letdown.

TSN's game day coverage has been absolute crap in the few games they've actually broadcasted MLS games. Goltv, in my opinion, has done a thoroughly more professional and quality job in showing TFC games.

I was very optimistic about TSN before the season started, what a letdown.

Not going to disagree with anything you wrote, have to admit I'm disappointed with everything myself. Commentary, camera work, replay/break away timing, it all leaves a Hell of a lot to be desired.

But, there's a learning curve to all this. Does seem like they've got an idea over there at TSN and they'll improve on the delivery of that idea sooner rather than later I think. In every aspect. I'm going to guess that what we've seen so far is quite a ways from where they (or we) want them to be by seasons end.

Or at least I very much hope so.

Archived