Hamilton Expansion Offical Thread

hamiltonfan

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

I tried to combine the best features of my other two logos. Here's a new version in solid colours (top left), with shading (top right), and as an embroidered patch for how it would look on merch (bottom left), as well as a quick mockup of a jersey:

ham_logos_jersey.jpg

This is the best uniform & logo colour combination I've seen. I really like the grey added to the gold and black.

Both uniform and crest concepts look amazing. What software do you use to create them? I used to do a bit of this when I was younger, only on paper and MS paint. I would love to be able to upgrade my own designs.

What is the overall update to Canadian expansion officially? Are Hamilton and Ottawa locks? I have been hoping that Calgary could land a team again. The city was doing so well when we had the Calgary Storm in the PDL. When they mader the jump to the A-League, everything has been downhill since then...

I'm just using MSPaint, but most people would use photoshop or whatever the generic version of photoshop is named (and there is such a program).

Ottawa is pretty much a lock for in a few years at the NASL level (they've already bought the franchise, at no little expense). They're just waiting until Landsdowne is finished.

Hamilton will have a soccer team, run by Bob Young, and playing out of a renovated Ivor Wynne in 2015/2016. This is a fact: the funding for the renovations are dependant on it as a legacy aspect. What level they'll be playing at, and in what league is still up in the air.

I know that the Ti-Cats are promoting season ticket renewals with a chance to secure spots for the 1st season of the new stadium.

I expect that they're going to want to cross-promote the soccer team along with Ti-Cats tickets- i.e buy Ti-Cats season tickets and get a first chance to get Hamilton City tickets (or whatever they call it). That's probably a good way to promote both products.

I know that if there is a new team, I'm going to be getting season tickets in the supporters section likely. I just wish there was some news on it.

Hamilton City Football Club

Colors: Black & Yellow

Kits: i) Solid Yellow with thin black vertical strip

ii) Solid Black with thick yellow horizontal strip

Venue: 22,000 Dofasco Park

Attendance: 22,500

Supporters area: “the factory” 3,000 strong in a designated grandstand behind the net..with a roof

I know that the Ti-Cats are promoting season ticket renewals with a chance to secure spots for the 1st season of the new stadium.

I expect that they're going to want to cross-promote the soccer team along with Ti-Cats tickets- i.e buy Ti-Cats season tickets and get a first chance to get Hamilton City tickets (or whatever they call it). That's probably a good way to promote both products.

I know that if there is a new team, I'm going to be getting season tickets in the supporters section likely. I just wish there was some news on it.

So, although I quite like Hamilton City as a name If they are linked with the TI-Cats to such an level as yo indicate, then they would almost be a dictionary deffinition of a Hamilton "UNITED" football Club.

A reason why I think Hamilton, whatever the focus of the name is (City, United, etc), should be named "Soccer Club" is that the Ti-Cats do lean on the fact that they are a football club. Their official logo is "Tiger-Cats Football".

jaytq9.gif

Another thing that Hamilton is going to have to deal with: there is no way that you're gonna be able to escape people associating the nickname "Hammers" with the club. Should this be run away from or embraced?

I think it's something you just go with. Stoke City is called "The Potters" by their fans by always still Stoke City. The Hammers is at least a lot more original and appropriate than "The Reds" by TFC fans.

I do get annoyed that all the North American names are a bit ripped off from European soccer teams; however I don't know any way around it as Canada builds it own soccer culture.

As

I think it's something you just go with. Stoke City is called "The Potters" by their fans by always still Stoke City. The Hammers is at least a lot more original and appropriate than "The Reds" by TFC fans.

I do get annoyed that all the North American names are a bit ripped off from European soccer teams; however I don't know any way around it as Canada builds it own soccer culture.

As with most of the original English nicknames, not the ones made up by Lazy TSN/Sportsnet Jurno's, they tend to reflect the local Industry to which the clubs were aligned or grew out of.

Stoke are the Potters due to their close relationship the poduction of Crockery and earthenware during the 19th Century.

Luton Town are associated not so much with the Motor Industry, but with the Milninary trade; hence"the Hatters"

Everton Mints were actually made locally to Goodison, But the Toffee's have also been known as the Black Watch, although that might be more to do with scouse humor, when the team wear the alternate black kit.

Personal favorite has to be Chesterfields nickname. Most copy in the UK press will reference them as "The Spireites". This is in reference to the Twisted Spire of St Mary and All Saints.

Legend has it that back in the 14th Century, the Devil was wandering the earth looking for souls to steal (Georgia had not yet been discovered). Begining to tire in his quest, he rested upon the spire of a local church so as to taunt the almighty. Howeve, upon resting at op of the spire the chours of the choir below began to sing. The Clamourous exhaultation to the Lord on High so afflicted the Devil that he writhed in agony. As the music continued he departed back to the underworld twisting his resting post as he flew off!

If you dont believe just look at the evidence...post-4137-139465253992_thumb.jpg

I believe "The Hammers" are already the nickname for West-Ham united. We'll have to wait and see, as well as see what they end up deciding the shield should be. The Ti-Cats are already nicknamed the Tabbies and they already have legendary supporters in the Box J boys.

I just want an at least division 2 team, and if that means NASL go with it, if it means the CSL finally gets off of it's butt and starts to make a good and proper 2nd division, that works too. Seriously, the whole CSL isn't going to sanction division 2 teams to play in the U.S. while the CSL doesn't have a 2nd division thing was a huge a joke.

I believe "The Hammers" are already the nickname for West-Ham united. We'll have to wait and see, as well as see what they end up deciding the shield should be. The Ti-Cats are already nicknamed the Tabbies and they already have legendary supporters in the Box J boys.

I just want an at least division 2 team, and if that means NASL go with it, if it means the CSL finally gets off of it's butt and starts to make a good and proper 2nd division, that works too. Seriously, the whole CSL isn't going to sanction division 2 teams to play in the U.S. while the CSL doesn't have a 2nd division thing was a huge a joke.

West Hams Moniker of "The Hammers" is a classic Media Invention. Often a misinteretation of the crossed Hammers on the Club crest.

West Hams fans would refer to the team as the Irons as the aforementioned "Hammers" on the shirt Badge and actually foundry Irons used in the Iron-working Industry of the early 20th century, historic to the east end of London where the club was founded.

They originated as Thames Ironworks FC, a works team created by the Owner of the Thames Ironworks and Shipbuilding Company in association with one of the shop stewards.

My understanding However is that Hamilton is a Manufacturing/ Port City so would have a similar Socio-Economic background to West Ham. I would think the "Hammers" would be a worthy Nickname to use.

PS. Never confuse Irons with Lions. Lions is Millwall's nickname. The realationship between Millwall and West Ham is akin to that of Matter and Anti-matter.

I once heard of a visiting Aussie who got that wrong and started to chant "Come on you Lions" in the Home section at Upton Park.

Nasty!

West Hams Moniker of "The Hammers" is a classic Media Invention. Often a misinteretation of the crossed Hammers on the Club crest.

West Hams fans would refer to the team as the Irons

I don't really find that, most fans use both. Some good examples are the podcast Stop! Hammer Time, the zine/website Ex Hammers or search the KUMB forum and you find the term "hammers" used thousands of times.

I don't really find that, most fans use both. Some good examples are the podcast Stop! Hammer Time, the zine/website Ex Hammers or search the KUMB forum and you find the term "hammers" used thousands of times.

True, it depends on which West Ham fans you talk too. Most of "The Irons" fans I know, would 'ave no truck with these new fangled websites, of which you speak.:)

Fans like this fella,

post-4137-139465253998_thumb.jpg

...IT'S YER ACTUAL WEST 'AM ...INIT?

Well it's more of the supports referring to themselves and the West Ham players as 'Hammers'. Heck, the club has even been awarding the 'Hammer of the year award' since the 60's.

Yes I can see that to be true. Hammers been the accepted Collective noun for supporters and Players , whilist the old guard refer to the Club as "The Iron"

Last night I came across an radio discussion where Southend United (The Shrimpers) were confused with Morecambe Football Club (The shrimps). Bit of a geographical Faux Par on that one.

• 4 weeks later...

Several months ago Bob Young ("The Caretaker") posted on the Ti-Cats forum that he's committed to bringing professional soccer to Hamilton in some form (MLS, NASL, other) and that after the stadium situation is complete they're going to make it happen. The new stadium will be open in 2014 at the earliest so it would follow that that is the soonest it could happen.

Several months ago Bob Young ("The Caretaker") posted on the Ti-Cats forum that he's committed to bringing professional soccer to Hamilton in some form (MLS, NASL, other) and that after the stadium situation is complete they're going to make it happen. The new stadium will be open in 2014 at the earliest so it would follow that that is the soonest it could happen.

So if the CSL is our Canadian Division III, wouldn't deep pocketed ownership groups who are willing to sell the CSL to fans as a professional product and increase the status of it. If it was treated with higher ownership, stadium, and marketing standards then wouldn't the importance of the CSL rise? I hate seeing Canadian clubs playing the PDL. I would much rather see money and interest go into post U18 soccer.

Archived