Hamilton Expansion Offical Thread

hamiltonfan

Sounds like there has been a bit of a setback in Hamilton:

http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/content.php?1846-Ottawa-NASL-announcement-coming-Monday

...Hamilton, with the backing of the CFL's Hamilton TigerCats owner Bob Young, and was also believed to be joining the league in 2013, is no longer a certainty. League sources tell CSN a falling out has occured between Young and the league and his plans to bring a D2 franchise to Steeltown have stalled...

Once the stadium money is secured soccer often falls off the radar in these situations, unfortunately. Having a CSL or PDL Pro team playing at Ivor Wynne for a few years to meet commitments that were made would be a farce. A soccer first use of the PanAm games soccer stadium related funding would probably have been much better for our sport in the long run. Hopefully things eventually work out there, however. USL Pro would be better than nothing given the scope for a rivalry with Rochester.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:( I suspect Mr. Young may have though he was at the front of the line before Ottawa for an NASL team, given he had first rights given to him. I also suspect that NASL may have put getting another two US teams on the backburner with the recession and thus they can't get a 3rd Canadian team since the USSF wants 75% US teams. Well, maybe NASL will fail (not that I want soccer to fail) and USL-PRO will step up to the plate or something will be worked out.

USL Pro is NOT the answer, have you watched any of the games this season? it is terrible, the standard has dropped, it is what it is a D3 level which is no better than what the CSL is offering, there are better teams in the CSL than in USL Pro, don't be fooled by the name "USL PRO" it is not worth the investment and any Canadian team that decide to go this route will regret it, it is a whole lot of nothing.......a Canadian team will drop $750 - million $$$ a season...for what do you get back?

I suspect next year's USL Pro will look very different from this year's given a lot of the weak franchises that should never have been allowed anywhere near it will fold up shop or head back to PDL again. Hopefully it will all (including Hamilton) get sorted out eventually with a merger at D2 level being the final destination for the few potentially viable entries like Rochester, Orlando and Charlestown. Might be easier for those teams to sort out their differences with the NASL if a more reasonable set of sanctioning standards could be agreed with the USSF, given it was the "joint and several" $750k performance bond demanded in that context that was the sticking point that eventually led to the demise of the Carolina Railhawks (where Bob Young had the minority ownership stake).

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Easy enough to google. For example you should be able to find stuff like this:

http://www.thespec.com/news/local/article/493414--ivor-wynne-gets-pan-am-approval

...Guy Bradbury, chief executive officer of the Ontario Soccer Association, said he’s pleased with the legacy aspect of the Hamilton stadium.

“A soccer-related facility of this quality provides us another opportunity to bring high-quality soccer into the province, and build upon what we’re already doing,” he said.

According to Bradbury, the OSA enjoys close relationship with Tourism Hamilton and Hamilton District Soccer Association.

“So, between the three groups, we would look at various events we could bring in the future.”

Bradbury said the OSA has also had discussions with the Ticats about their vision to bring a professional soccer team to the city.

Soccerpro

1. When is the date for stadium construction to start/finish

2. Do we really have real confirmation from Bob Young and co. that they are planning on a soccer team or is it just rumours?

1. Right now there are three firms bidding on the rights to build it. As far as date, it's still in the planning/design process, but I'm to understand the city is looking at taking the wrecking ball to Ivor Wynne pretty much the next day that the CFL season ends for the Ti-Cats.

2. He's listed as part of his memorim of understanding is that the Tiger-Cats are going to make a best effort to bring a professional soccer franchise to play at the stadium. I'm not sure if the wording is a NASL franchise or if a USL or CSL franchise would qualify. I know he has been given first rights to having a team in Hamilton by NASL, but apparently Mr. Young had a falling out with them shortly after Ottawa was granted a franchise. Probably because NASL doesn't have enough US teams to let Hamilton squeek in with Ottawa getting a team, as the USSF has a 75% US teams requirement for NASL.

Definitely could be part of it but also could be tied into stuff that happened with the Carolina Railhawks where he had a minority stake in the ownership group that bailed out prior to the 2011 season after the new D2 sanctioning standards were announced by the USSF (might double check later whether he was still part of things in 2010). I've heard it claimed that the 25% thing has always been there and doesn't necessarily have to be as big a deal as some people make out. For example, as recently as 2004 five out of sixteen D2 teams were in Canada:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_A-League

Also worth noting that as part of the D2 standards, the NASL will have to have 12 teams by year six so could accommodate and would probably very much welcome having a third Canadian team to get up to that number:

http://www.insidemnsoccer.com/2010/08/12/ussf-d-2-professional-league-standards/

there is no point in going with the "steelers" name for hamilton..regardless of its historic past... let Pittsburgh have it... NFL steelers basically own that name...... best names for soccer teams all over the world are the classic like UNITED, FC, CITY, REAL (royal).. SC etc.etc..... therefore... in my opinion... i would love to see the team called... HAMILTON CITY ... or HAMILTON UNITED..... you could always give the team a nickname afterwards... like toronto gives TFC "the reds.".... Blackpool has the tangerines., manchester has the red devils... etc.. just keep the official name classic........

HAMILTON CITY FC...... ready to take on and destroy TFC, whitecaps, impact,Edmonton FC and any other in our way to the canadian championship...... come on Bob Young... get that franchise for us....im dying here in anticipation...

Exactly. Unite the fans from Hamilton, Oakville, St. Catharine's, Kitchener, etc, etc.

Don't know why CD is called "United". They can't seem to "get it together" ;) Plus, they have other issues, like a not so suitable 50 year old venue.

They're called "United" because they represent the whole of the District of Columbia and not just Washington.

^Erm....in the same way the BC Lions represent all of BC!? That reasoning doesn't fly.

Wiki isn't great BUT it's what I found at 8:00am!....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_D.C._United

Eventually, the idea of simply naming the team "D.C. United" was decided upon as the club name. The moniker "United" alluded to European club names such as Leeds and Manchester United as well as reflecting on being based in capital of the United States.[5]

I like Hamilton City Soccer Club.

City has some history as a name (having won Ontario Cups in the 30s and 50s), and unlike other historical names doesn't have an ethnic slant (Thistle, Italo Canadian, Serbian) or named after a company (Hamilton's most successful club during the first half of the last century, Hamilton Westinghouse).

"Soccer Club" because we are in Canada, where if you off-handedly say "football" it's taken that you mean Canadian Football. So, I generally feel that we should be naming our teams either the proper AFC (Association Football Club) or SC (Soccer Club).

Mainly I'm just posting so that I can show off an update to my "dream kits" for a Hamilton Club. (Go go MS Paint!)

x2we9f.jpg

Well, originally I had the blue lighter, more like the "true" blue on the City of Hamilton crest/flag. When combined with the yellow though, I found I preferred a much darker blue. Past Navy, maybe a Midnight Blue?

The club's crest would feature a stag head to represent in sports the other animal on the city's crest (Tiger and Stag). Also, because the antler's can make a pretty cool sweeping visual. I used the St.Mary's Grammar School (in London) symbol as a basis, removing some detail. In between the antlers is the City of Hamilton's very cool chained Cynquefoil, with the centre of the Cynquefoil replaced by an old school football.

kapz0j.jpg

Edit: I guess I'll set it to be my avatar.

My brother and I used to run a rec team (indoor & outdoor) called East Ham United. We pretty much stole the name from West Ham in England but it fit us well because we were all from either the East Mountain or the East End. Unfortinatly the team fell apart after about 4-5 years but it was great while it lasted. Having said that, I kinda have a soft spot for any kind of name containing Hamilton United in it. I never really understood the City part of club names.... obviously the team is from a city. Anyways, I am on board for anything to do with Hamilton soccer, it is a dream to one day have our own MLS franchise.... dream on right?

Archived