Hamilton Expansion Offical Thread

hamiltonfan

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kev, who ever told you that must be misinformed? Bob Young is not the egoistical type that would want a team name after him. He visions a long-lasting club that will be winning trophies long after he and the next owners are around...the name will not have any reference to Bob.

There will be a naming contest of some sort and the club will do its due diligence before putting the final stamp of approval on any name.

I'm sure we will see a traditional football club name or one with historical ties to the city.

I leaning towards Hamilton City Football Club

Are those logos from actual clubs? Or something you made up? They're both very sharp.

The one on the right is a fan submission for the San Antonio Scorpions (who are looking slightly dead already) I believe.

I'm going to concur with Dmont and HamiltonFan in saying that I like Hamilton City FC/SC as a name. It's got history, and is actually usable unlike the two other prime historical Hamilton soccer names - Hamilton Thistle (too ethnic) and Hamilton Westinghouse (named after a company - although cheering for the 'Hoose would be fun).

Using my fantastic MS Paint skills, I came up with this:

Click here. I've linked it because it's huge.

I only noticed later that my HCFC symbol includes a long, hard shaft and two balls. Might want to change that. Or not.

The one on the right is a fan submission for the San Antonio Scorpions (who are looking slightly dead already) I believe.

I'm going to concur with Dmont and HamiltonFan in saying that I like Hamilton City FC/SC as a name. It's got history, and is actually usable unlike the two other prime historical Hamilton soccer names - Hamilton Thistle (too ethnic) and Hamilton Westinghouse (named after a company - although cheering for the 'Hoose would be fun).

Using my fantastic MS Paint skills, I came up with this:

Click here. I've linked it because it's huge.

I only noticed later that my HCFC symbol includes a long, hard shaft and two balls. Might want to change that. Or not.

The kits you came up with are pretty slick. I'd be pumped if I was a fan and the team came out with something like that. As for the name I think Hamilton City would enough. Although I like the idea of teams following the traditional British way of naming teams, i.e. F.C., I think Hamilton should explore something different and maybe more simple.

I'll put my last dollar that the team colours will be Black and Gold.

-has history with hamilton sports

-team will be sharing stadium and facilities, colour sheme in stadium will all be black n gold for the tigercats

-blank and gold makes a sharp football kit..a team out there has a great solid gold kit with a verticle black strip, dont have time to look it up tho

The team colors should either be black and gold or blue and gold. Blue and Gold, because those are the colors of the flag of Hamilton. I really like the chained Cinquefoil on the shield. Anyways, my vote is for the Stags. It's common in it's use of heraldry and carries the history of the Scottish Crawford Clan and further goes with the Cinquefoil of clan Hamilton. It's a name that gives a tribute to our English and Scottish origins but doesn't just a reuse of their naming conventions and still styled similar to American teams. That and of course the stadium will be shared with the Tiger-Cats of the CFL. What better way to enter a civicly owned stadium, where two football teams (and yes CFL Football is Football) call home then to this.

Hamilton_Coat_of_Arms.png

That being said, I also do like LSM's kit and logo too. I will say this, if Bob Young owns the team, I would expect SC to be more likely then FC as he's been selling Ti-Cats merchandise as the Hamilton Tiger-Cats Football Club for some time.

I agree that the chains just have to be somewhere in the crest - they're such a unique and cool little feature. The cinquefoil I can go either way - it's not the greatest symbol, but for want of anything else it's good.

I agree with you as well with the naming of "Stags", though I prefer if it's a nickname. Still like City as the official name. Considering this, I've changed my symbol and kit colours to match this up better. I hope you like it -Hammer-!

33p4hoz.jpg

And here are the kits with colour changes: [Linked for huge.]

I agree that the chains just have to be somewhere in the crest - they're such a unique and cool little feature. The cinquefoil I can go either way - it's not the greatest symbol, but for want of anything else it's good.

I agree with you as well with the naming of "Stags", though I prefer if it's a nickname. Still like City as the official name. Considering this, I've changed my symbol and kit colours to match this up better. I hope you like it -Hammer-!

33p4hoz.jpg

And here are the kits with colour changes: [Linked for huge.]

Dude, that logo is awesome.

I've always thought that Hamilton Industrial SC?FC would be a great name

(although probably a little too rooted in the old Hamilton identity for today's citizens)

you got the right idea but hamilton steeler sc/fc is a litte better

The team colors should either be black and gold or blue and gold. Blue and Gold, because those are the colors of the flag of Hamilton. I really like the chained Cinquefoil on the shield. Anyways, my vote is for the Stags. It's common in it's use of heraldry and carries the history of the Scottish Crawford Clan and further goes with the Cinquefoil of clan Hamilton. It's a name that gives a tribute to our English and Scottish origins but doesn't just a reuse of their naming conventions and still styled similar to American teams. That and of course the stadium will be shared with the Tiger-Cats of the CFL. What better way to enter a civicly owned stadium, where two football teams (and yes CFL Football is Football) call home then to this.

Hamilton_Coat_of_Arms.png

That being said, I also do like LSM's kit and logo too. I will say this, if Bob Young owns the team, I would expect SC to be more likely then FC as he's been selling Ti-Cats merchandise as the Hamilton Tiger-Cats Football Club for some time.

what about calling the team Hamilton Tigers SC

It looks like they have finally sorted out the stadium issue, it gets the final stamp of approval today! It would be great to see the return of pro soccer to the Hammer, I believe there are enough soccer fans around to support a USL or Second Division team and who knows where that can go if it is a huge success!

what about calling the team Hamilton Tigers SC

Merchandising would be a concern. Who is going to buy new Hamilton SC gear when all of their existing CFL gear will do? That and Hamilton already tried that with our old NHL hockey team, and it folded a long long time ago. Give it a new name. Hamilton City SC I'd be fine, as long as they could get a Stag in there. The big thing is that they need to be able to secure friendlies vs TFC. There is nothing Hamiltonians love more then sticking it to Toronto.

Merchandising would be a concern. Who is going to buy new Hamilton SC gear when all of their existing CFL gear will do? That and Hamilton already tried that with our old NHL hockey team, and it folded a long long time ago. Give it a new name. Hamilton City SC I'd be fine, as long as they could get a Stag in there. The big thing is that they need to be able to secure friendlies vs TFC. There is nothing Hamiltonians love more then sticking it to Toronto.

yeah last CSL season TFCA vs. Hamilton Croatia was great.

Pardon the interuption from across the praries but if, I could be so bold..

AFC, Says exactly what it is. an Association Football Club.

However, if the Ti-Cats and the soccer club are under the same ownership group,what would be so wrong with

Hamilton United AFC?

The Cats could always rebrand as Hamilton TigerCats United-(CFL)-FC.....Too long?;)

I doubt the Tiger-Cats would take on the name United given that they've previously shunned two glorious opportunities - first when the Hamilton Tigers absorbed the Hamilton Alerts c1913 and then when the Tigers merged with the Hamilton Flying Wildcats in 1950 to become the Tiger-Cats.

Pardon the interuption from across the praries but if, I could be so bold..

AFC, Says exactly what it is. an Association Football Club.

However, if the Ti-Cats and the soccer club are under the same ownership group,what would be so wrong with

Hamilton United AFC?

The Cats could always rebrand as Hamilton TigerCats United-(CFL)-FC.....Too long?;)

Well..Hamilton isn't what you would call a United City....especially after the amalgamation. Some people in Dundas, Ancaster, Stoney Creek, Binbrook and Flamborough might get the wrong impression. Second, while I do believe you can be a Football and Soccer fan, I do think renaming the Ti-Cats would cause a lot of rage.

Well..Hamilton isn't what you would call a United City....especially after the amalgamation. Some people in Dundas, Ancaster, Stoney Creek, Binbrook and Flamborough might get the wrong impression. Second, while I do believe you can be a Football and Soccer fan, I do think renaming the Ti-Cats would cause a lot of rage.

Sorry, renamining the CFL team was a bit of a 'Catty remark':D

Archived