Changing of the Guard: Canada's Story of 2010

Toronto MB

Hi All,

We have put together a recap on Canada's 2010 campaign with snippets from Issey Nakajima-Farran, Julian De Guzman, Stephen Hart, Atiba Hutchinson, Paul Stalteri, Josh Simpson, Iain Hume amd more...

You can find the the full story here:

http://www.rednationonline.ca/Changing_of_the_Guard_Canadas_Story_of_2010_december_24_10_article.shtml

On behalf of the whole team at RedNation Online we wanted to wish the Voyageurs a very Happy Holidays!

Our coverage of the national team continues to grow exponentially, and we are truly grateful for the support that we receive from the Voyageurs community.

It is wonderful to see the support for Canadian football growing, and kudos to our friends at Canadian Soccer News and beyond for helping to build a loyal following for our national teams!

Here's to a prosperous 2010 for Stephen Hart and the lads!

Allez les rouges!

MB

On the theme of changing of the guard, 12 players made their Canada debut in 2010, although only a few, particularly Adam Straith and Terry Dunfield, left a major impression.

That was a good article as well. It's hard to say which new guys will emerge. I wouldn't be surprised to see Edgar get playing time in Greece. I think he likes young Straith, even if he's currently riding pine. I'm interested in seeing how Dunfield does in MLS before making any predictions about his future, but at least he changed some people's opinions of him this past year and I think he has a skillset that can help this team. But as you say, too many of these debutants are plagued by lack of first team action or, in a couple of instances, have no club at all.

On the theme of changing of the guard, 12 players made their Canada debut in 2010, although only a few, particularly Adam Straith and Terry Dunfield, left a major impression.

Nice post but what makes everyone so sure Straith is better than Attakora? Attakora has played more pro games than Straith, been a key player for TFC and by all accounts was a better player than Straith for the U20s. I guess we'll hopefully see during 2012 Olympic qualifiers how they match up but Attakora definitely deserves a REAL first team call up rather than 19 minutes in a domestic match while Straith gets over 300 minutes.

I'm not convinced that Straith is better, but it seems to this point that Hart does.

In the end he's the deciding factor. He also still values Stalteri's contributions to this side even if he's completely on the outs at club level and his only competitive minutes are in MNT matches. Who knows, maybe Attakora will get the shot and Straith will become the second choice in 2011.

Adding to Max's article...Looking Forward to 2011:

Looking through the current squad one can see where strengths lie and where question marks continue to plague the national team.

Four areas in particular have question marks around them that desperately need someone to step up and take a hold of. Stephen Hart has laid down one of his top qualifiers for positions are players who are getting minutes, and outside of the spots that look to be locked down, there is much debate as to who is doing enough to get the nod for the starting XI.

Listed in the article, are the positions and respective players for Canada and Stephen Hart will have a tough time making the decision to whom they will commit to through the summer of 2011.

Happy New Year's to all as well! Be safe.

http://www.rednationonline.ca/Looking_forward_to_2011_CMNT_december_31_10_article.shtml

People seem to give him a hard time.

Is there any reason why bernier WOULDN'T be good for the national team?

I don't think Bernier is a lock. Bernier and Johnson are the two guys that will fight for that spot. I like what I see from Johnson as an holding midfielder. I am not dismissing Bernier as he is an useful player, but he is no lock.

^ What Blackdude said.

Although not sure Johnson is the answer there either. <Cue broken record> I would like to see someone much more physical there. Not sure who the answer is - Dunfield? I still think it is someone like Edgar or Jakovic of our present pool. Ideally, we need a young, healthy Serioux-like player to emerge.

^ What Blackdude said.

Although not sure Johnson is the answer there either. <Cue broken record> I would like to see someone much more physical there. Not sure who the answer is - Dunfield? I still think it is someone like Edgar or Jakovic of our present pool. Ideally, we need a young, healthy Serioux-like player to emerge.

<cue broken record>Ivan, you and I have been of the same mind on this issue in the past. Maybe I should have added that to my wish list on the other thread: a more prominent defensive presence in our midfield. I once suggested playing Jakovic in that role (like Marquez was used for Mexico in the WC) but now I think he should stay at CB. I also questioned Johnson's physicality in the past but I think he's coming on in that department. Though some people were concerned about the over aggressive challenges of Johnson and Dunfield vs Honduras (with the latter's resulting in a goal from the ensuing free kick), I like that dimension they gave to the team. I'm curious to see how Dunfield does in MLS this year. I like his quick, first time, "keep it rolling" passing style, finding the open man, playing it laterally to the fullbacks or the way he faces, as opposed to dwelling on the ball too long. Because of where he has spent most of career I think he's been typecast as a "thump it away, long ball" but that's not his game. If nothing else, he provides depth and competition. I never saw Pacheco play in Venezuela but his name keeps popping up in discussion yet he hasn't played a whole lot this season. JBB got his chance in the Ukraine so maybe he's still in Hart's plans come Greece in February.

Bernier is always in the mix and he had an underrated performance at the GC 09, but as suggested I think having more competition for spots will bring bring out the best in the team as well as in the midfield, as opposed to having guys think that they are "locks" or "automatic starters."

Adding to Max's article...Looking Forward to 2011:

Looking through the current squad one can see where strengths lie and where question marks continue to plague the national team.

Four areas in particular have question marks around them that desperately need someone to step up and take a hold of. Stephen Hart has laid down one of his top qualifiers for positions are players who are getting minutes, and outside of the spots that look to be locked down, there is much debate as to who is doing enough to get the nod for the starting XI.

Listed in the article, are the positions and respective players for Canada and Stephen Hart will have a tough time making the decision to whom they will commit to through the summer of 2011.

Happy New Year's to all as well! Be safe.

http://www.rednationonline.ca/Looking_forward_to_2011_CMNT_december_31_10_article.shtml

Your list of automatic starters is too generous IMO. Bernier isn't at all an automatic starter, in fact, I find he isn't good enough to be a starter for our NMT. JDG's run with TFC wasn't impressive neither, I think he also lost his "privilege" as an automatic starter too. And Ankaragucu seems to be a good fit for Klukoski but I don't forget the fact he had some poor performances during the last WCQ. Right now he may be a starter for LB position but an automatic starter, that remains to be seen.

<cue broken record>Ivan, you and I have been of the same mind on this issue in the past. Maybe I should have added that to my wish list on the other thread: a more prominent defensive presence in our midfield. I once suggested playing Jakovic in that role (like Marquez was used for Mexico in the WC) but now I think he should stay at CB. I also questioned Johnson's physicality in the past but I think he's coming on in that department. Though some people were concerned about the over aggressive challenges of Johnson and Dunfield vs Honduras (with the latter's resulting in a goal from the ensuing free kick), I like that dimension they gave to the team. I'm curious to see how Dunfield does in MLS this year. I like his quick, first time, "keep it rolling" passing style, finding the open man, playing it laterally to the fullbacks or the way he faces, as opposed to dwelling on the ball too long. Because of where he has spent most of career I think he's been typecast as a "thump it away, long ball" but that's not his game. If nothing else, he provides depth and competition. I never saw Pacheco play in Venezuela but his name keeps popping up in discussion yet he hasn't played a whole lot this season. JBB got his chance in the Ukraine so maybe he's still in Hart's plans come Greece in February.

Bernier is always in the mix and he had an underrated performance at the GC 09, but as suggested I think having more competition for spots will bring bring out the best in the team as well as in the midfield, as opposed to having guys think that they are "locks" or "automatic starters."

I was going to reference you in my post, but didn't want to speak for you! I liked the Johnson & Dunfield pairing vs. Honduras as well. Just wonder if they can consistently "bring it". I hate to say it but what we need is one or two opponents carried off the field on stretchers in the Gold Cup - with real nasty injuries as the result of hard tackles, not the usual Concacaf BS we see every time we play a central american opponent. Make these guys think about the possibilities when playing Canada (see Van Bommel & deJong for Holland in WC2010). Sounds terrible, I know, but can anyone remember the last bad challenge by one of our players?

Your list of automatic starters is too generous IMO. Bernier isn't at all an automatic starter, in fact, I find he isn't good enough to be a starter for our NMT. JDG's run with TFC wasn't impressive neither, I think he also lost his "privilege" as an automatic starter too. And Ankaragucu seems to be a good fit for Klukoski but I don't forget the fact he had some poor performances during the last WCQ. Right now he may be a starter for LB position but an automatic starter, that remains to be seen.

Klukowski was probably our best player in the last WCQ. On a team full of players underperforming he was one of the few who was consistently good throughout WCQ. Since WCQ he has had a few poor games but he was absolutely solid in the last WCQ.

Klukowski was probably our best player in the last WCQ. On a team full of players underperforming he was one of the few who was consistently good throughout WCQ. Since WCQ he has had a few poor games but he was absolutely solid in the last WCQ.

Also deservedly made the all tournament team for GC 09. I'm not concerned about him: if he's healthy he'll be starting in nearby Greece and I'm pretty confident he'll deliver a solid effort.

I was going to reference you in my post, but didn't want to speak for you! I liked the Johnson & Dunfield pairing vs. Honduras as well. Just wonder if they can consistently "bring it". I hate to say it but what we need is one or two opponents carried off the field on stretchers in the Gold Cup - with real nasty injuries as the result of hard tackles, not the usual Concacaf BS we see every time we play a central american opponent. Make these guys think about the possibilities when playing Canada (see Van Bommel & deJong for Holland in WC2010). Sounds terrible, I know, but can anyone remember the last bad challenge by one of our players?

As long as our guys (whoever they may be) do a good job of quickly closing down counterattacks that start from midfield, I'll be happy. I don't want to see the bad guys have any unopposed runs through our midfield towards McKenna/Jakovic and company (but in support of Bernier, he did a great job with two excellent hard but legal challenges on Costly vs Honduras in the QF for GC 09 when we were stretched pressing for an equalizer).

As for the bad challenges, I was going to guess Harmse but instead he was on the business end of a shot to the noggin vs Haiti at GC 07. Mind draws a blank on any other situations.

As for the bad challenges, I was going to guess Harmse but instead he was on the business end of a shot to the noggin vs Haiti at GC 07. Mind draws a blank on any other situations.

On that same note, de Jong got penalized for taking a flying elbow to the face that knocked him out of the game vs. mexico in 2008.

On that same note, de Jong got penalized for taking a flying elbow to the face that knocked him out of the game vs. mexico in 2008.

That's right! Not to mention that horrendous challenge on De Guzman by Bocanegra during the QF in the Gold Cup of 07 (should have been a straight red IMO). However, we got some payback when Hastings shoulder charged Landycakes onto his *ss!

Archived