Peter byers suspended from IMFC

How many players have had disciplinary issues over the last two seasons? Grande, Biello, Brown and now Byers come to mind, but I'm sure I'm missing something. Maybe the problem isn't uniquely on the player side ...

Yes I think that is correct. Other teams have had their disciplinary incidents but they are the exception not regular occurences like in Montreal. At some point you have to blame management for either continually bringing in the wrong players or treating the players poorly. Personally I think it is the latter.

^^ Well by management I will be clear and say that I mean NDS not the rest of the staff. We have had years and years of players leaving the team and complaining about him. Limniatis also complained that NDS tried to interfere with his coaching and as he was not the type of coach to allow that, he was fired at first opportunity. If it is a couple of players you can say it is sour grapes but when it is player after player over a long period there has to be some truth to it. As long as I have followed the team there has been a higher than normal number of incidents of indiscipline and never really a happy atmosphere surrounding it. It is particularly difficult to enforce discipline when it is not really clear who is in charge, the coach or manager. If there was one thing I could change about the Impact it would be to stop hiring coaches and managers due to favouritism and to start hiring qualified people with a track record of success. The obvious favouritism within the club also is not good for enforcing discipline and having a good atmosphere in the locker room. Few details have surfaced about what Byers did and it may be entirely his fault but after years and years of discipline problems at the club you have to start thinking that management must share some of the blame for the situation.

Could be nothing more serious than the bad habit of showing up late for practice, breaking curfew etc. Nothing sinister on Byers part, just lazy carelessness in one particular area. If he's been warned and fined in the past that would make this the next step in the disciplinary line. May seem harsh (at the time) but it is a way of showing the man he's wanted, he's not being outright released, but his bad habits aren't.

Or not. Hard to say without knowing more. Would hate to think that the Impact management is using any old excuse and creating circumstances to encourage Byers to seek a release and try his luck elsewhere. That's just bad form.

The Impact are a successful team and players will come and go. Perhaps the Manager and Coach are a good cop/bad cop routine. Who knows. You feel bad for any players involved if they are out of work but it's a what-have-you-done-for-me-lately business and when you can buy any of tens of thousands of players on the planet decisions aren't entirely scientific and will always have an interpersonal element.

Part of existing on a team is the same as any workplace - it's co-existence or no existence. Get on your teammates or the boss' bad side and it's not like the union is going to back you and send it to arbitration.

Haven't seen him much this year but he was entertaining last year. Hopefully he ends up on his feet somewhere.

Could be nothing more serious than the bad habit of showing up late for practice, breaking curfew etc. Nothing sinister on Byers part, just lazy carelessness in one particular area. If he's been warned and fined in the past that would make this the next step in the disciplinary line. May seem harsh (at the time) but it is a way of showing the man he's wanted, he's not being outright released, but his bad habits aren't.

Or not. Hard to say without knowing more. Would hate to think that the Impact management is using any old excuse and creating circumstances to encourage Byers to seek a release and try his luck elsewhere. That's just bad form.

Spot on Cheeta.

Byers was suspended for being late to practice, for the second time. The first time landed him with the IMFC Academy, and now this latest "faut pas" has brought him a suspension.

http://thefranchise.ca/soccer/peter-bye ... mpact.html

I tend to agree that IMFC, are hesitant to release him outright, because he has show to be very talented. Hopefully he will get the message this time, and learn what it means to be a professional.

The Impact are a successful team and players will come and go. Perhaps the Manager and Coach are a good cop/bad cop routine. Who knows.

We do. It's not.

And if it's a bon cop-bad cop routine, NDS has been a bad cop his entire managerial/coaching career.

I really think the impact should part ways with NDS. They should just transfer him to a job at Saputo and thats it. I dont think we should get personal with him; the fact of the matter is that he isnt cut out for the job and he is simply on a power trip. Or at the very least we keep him on board as director of NASL impact and name a tehcnical staff in the fall for MLS impact. Once the NASL impact end their operations, he can join the MLS staff as a scout or perhaps just continue with the NASL franchise if it moves to quebec city or else where.

I really do not want him in a decision making role with the MLS club.

^^ One of his biggest flaws as a coach/manager was poor talent assessment so I certainly do not want to see him as a scout in the organization. It should be off to the cheese factory for him! :)

cheese factory or maybe in charge of ticketing! i dont know why the impact feels that they owe something to these former players. I thank him for his playing services to the team but they dont need him and actually sacrificing the job to a better person to the advantage of NDS.

It really baffles me -- it reminds of when the habs hired rejean houle.

I would bring in the Puerto Rico Islanders tandem of Colin Clarke and Adrian Whitbread. They have an excellent track record of of finding and developing talent. Other possible canditates from the NASL/USL level would be Adrian Heath of Austin, and Martin Rennie of Carolina. Both also assume coaching duties, but remain excellent at evaluating players.

I don't know if any of these gentlemen speak french, which might be a hindrance to them getting the position. This is completely ridiculous, but language comes before competence in Montreal.

I would bring in the Puerto Rico Islanders tandem of Colin Clarke and Adrian Whitbread. They have an excellent track record of of finding and developing talent. Other possible canditates from the NASL/USL level would be Adrian Heath of Austin, and Martin Rennie of Carolina. Both also assume coaching duties, but remain excellent at evaluating players.

I don't know if any of these gentlemen speak french, which might be a hindrance to them getting the position. This is completely ridiculous, but language comes before competence in Montreal.

Not in sports... can Jim Popp / Marc Trestman speak French?

Not in sports... can Jim Popp / Marc Trestman speak French?

I wrote MIGHT be a hindrance. Like it or not, I'm sure IMFC are pleased that both NDS and MDS are able to give interviews, and communicate with fans in french.

Ever hear of a small team named the Montreal Canadians? Seems to me, that a french speaking coach or GM is a Prerequisite.

How about hiring the best guy period?

I wrote MIGHT be a hindrance. Like it or not, I'm sure IMFC are pleased that both NDS and MDS are able to give interviews, and communicate with fans in french.

Ever hear of a small team named the Montreal Canadians? Seems to me, that a french speaking coach or GM is a Prerequisite.

Yes I agree. I also think that the coach should be able to speak French: Dos Santos and Martin can and there are a lot of good coaches who can speak French too.

However, I am willing to bet that 50% of the Habs staff can not speak a word of French, and as mentionned before the Alouettes staff don't speak FR either. So I think that if the Impact wants to bring either a GM or a head coach who can not speak FR, it's fine, as long as one of the two can communicate to the medias. I don't think it would piss-off the people in MTL.

And I also feel that an English only speaking coach would wipe out some of the pre-conceived ideas that the Impact are a joke and a low-level team. It just seems to give a "professional" impression to those who don't know anything about the game. The Habs are in another world completely, this theory does not apply to them.

I have been advocating the Impact hire Clarke for several years now. Not only has he done well with Puerto Rico but he had a successful stint in MLS at FC Dallas and got fired after his team lost a playoff game in a shootout. He has also done a decent job as national team coach for Puerto Rico, a job which he holds concurrently to his job with PRI (the dual job is probably what allows PRI to afford him). Despite the dual role he would probably be one of the few coaches of his calibre the Impact could hire without spending too much money though certainly more than they are paying MDS or his predecessors.

Regarding the language issue, the reason the Habs always have French-speaking coaches is that there are a lot of coaches from Quebec both French and bilingual English who are NHL calibre coaches. In CFL and soccer there are very few so it is not really expected to hire a French speaking coach. Although it is defintely an advantage for PR purposes the Impact have had unilingual English coaches in the past like Bob Lilley. If they really want a French speaking coach there are certainly some good ones from France and Belgium (or foreigners who have coached there and learned the language) available but for the most part they are probably out of the Impact's price range though that may change when we enter MLS.

Regarding the language issue, the reason the Habs always have French-speaking coaches is that there are a lot of coaches from Quebec both French and bilingual English who are NHL calibre coaches. In CFL and soccer there are very few so it is not really expected to hire a French speaking coach.
I hear Domenech is available. :P;)

Archived