Hodgson at Liverpool

BearcatSA

Not sure how it will turn out. I think Hodgson does well when he's under the radar with a more workmanlike side, but I'm not convinced he can handle the microscope and weight of expectation that comes with a big time club and stars. What do you Reds fans think?

They will never be happy until there is a change in ownereship.

Too true. Im afraid in this case Gillete is NOT the best a man can get.

Im thinking Liverpool are assuming Hodgson's another Redknap, but with a little less Auther Daly about him. (actually its more Harrold Steptoe)

• 2 months later...
Won't ever be considered for the England job now barring miracle.

That would be unfair IMO. The problem is obviously with the owners. And Torres' injuries and a tough schedule to start the season isn't helping. But Hodson didn't suddenly go from being a good manager to a crap one overnight.

That said, I'm loving it! Those Yank owners should stick with sports they have a clue about (if any).

As a Liverpool supporter, watching the current state of the team is killing me. That being said, it's interesting watching the bigoted British press deal with this situation. They threw everything they could at Benitez during his six years at Liverpool, distorting facts, rewriting history, and just plain making **** up. Now there's a guy who's going against everything they claimed was wrong with Benitez (he's English, so he understands their game; he doesn't use zonal marking from set pieces; he plays Gerrard in his preferred central midfield position; etc.) yet the results are worse. Still, they try to pin Hodgson's failings on Rafa.

Hodgson lost a Carling Cup match at home to Northampton. Apparently, this is Rafa's fault because the squad has no depth. No mention of the fact that Hodgson let a bunch of players go for next to nothing that would have easily won that game. No mention of the fact that Rafa routinely made it through the early rounds of the Carling Cup using his effective second-string. Hell, to defend English Woy, they are making the outlandish claim that the squad that Rafa left was worse than the one he inherited from Gerard Houllier. Anybody who is making that claim is either a liar with an agenda or just plain stupid. It goes on and on.

I hope to hell that things improve from here. Hopefully, there are new owners in place by the January transfer window so that a couple of decent signings can be brought in by hopefully a new, world-class manager (hopefully as good as the world-class manager that the club paid 10 million pounds to leave so he could become the manager of the European champions) and the club can start the process of turning the club back around.

As a Liverpool supporter, watching the current state of the team is killing me. That being said, it's interesting watching the bigoted British press deal with this situation. They threw everything they could at Benitez during his six years at Liverpool, distorting facts, rewriting history, and just plain making **** up. Now there's a guy who's going against everything they claimed was wrong with Benitez (he's English, so he understands their game; he doesn't use zonal marking from set pieces; he plays Gerrard in his preferred central midfield position; etc.) yet the results are worse. Still, they try to pin Hodgson's failings on Rafa.

Hodgson lost a Carling Cup match at home to Northampton. Apparently, this is Rafa's fault because the squad has no depth. No mention of the fact that Hodgson let a bunch of players go for next to nothing that would have easily won that game. No mention of the fact that Rafa routinely made it through the early rounds of the Carling Cup using his effective second-string. Hell, to defend English Woy, they are making the outlandish claim that the squad that Rafa left was worse than the one he inherited from Gerard Houllier. Anybody who is making that claim is either a liar with an agenda or just plain stupid. It goes on and on.

I hope to hell that things improve from here. Hopefully, there are new owners in place by the January transfer window so that a couple of decent signings can be brought in by hopefully a new, world-class manager (hopefully as good as the world-class manager that the club paid 10 million pounds to leave so he could become the manager of the European champions) and the club can start the process of turning the club back around.

great analysis - enjoyed that

Step one, done. Gillette and Hicks will be gone by the end of the week.

Step two, next on the agenda. Hodgson will get the next two months to show that he's got what it takes to manage a club of Liverpool's stature. If he doesn't get the results, he'll be gone before Christmas and a new manager will be brought in with the prospect of some cash to spend on a couple of players in January.

Hodgson is clueless and has to go. It was clear that the game was going against him even before Everton scored their first goal, yet he waited until almost the 70th minute to make a sub. If he is allowed to stay up to the January transfer window and spend the money that is purported to be available from the new owners, I fear that he may set the club back a few years. They need to get him out and allow a proper manager the opportunity to come in and turn things around with the bulk of the current squad and a few additions.

Archived