Simeon Jackson and the future

nolando

So I've been rethinking young Simeon and comparing him to another smallish yet energetic foreign-born Canadian international:

Simeon Jackson

22 y/o --Gillingham English League One -------------34-8-14

21 y/o --Gillingham English League Two ------------40-4-20

20 y/o --Gillingham English League One -------------14-4 -4

Iain Hume

22y/o --Leicester City English League Cham. ------39-6-13

21 y/0 -- Tranmere Rovers English League One ----42 -2-15

20 y/o --Tranmere Rovers English League One ----32- 8 -10

19y/o --Tranmere Rovers English League One ---- 23-13-7

(Games Started-Games Subbed-Goals)

So, even with the late season slump, Jackson managed to virtually equal Hume's stats during his last season of League One while at Tranmere.

And to recap, Gillingham got relegated on the last day of the season and will now start in League Two, where Simeon scored 20 goals the season before last. With absolutely nothing left to prove in League Two, and with plenty of Championship sides sniffing around at various times, Gillingham's manager wants to hold on to Simeon and force him to play the last year of his contract, confusingly losing any chance to profit from his future sale, while potentially stifling Jackson's development in the process. (According to the article below, published on Thursday)

Andy Hessenthaler keen to keep Simeon Jackson at Gillingham

by Matthew Panting

Gillingham boss Andy Hessenthaler would rather keep Simeon Jackson and let him go for nothing next summer – than cash in on him now.

Jackson, who joined from Rushden in January 2008 for £150,000, has one year left on his contract at Priestfield.

But the 23-year-old forward, who failed to score in any of the Gills’ final nine games when they were relegated from League 1, will form a big part of Hessenthaler’s plans.

"Simeon is a good player. He scores goals and is quick," said Hessenthaler.

"I saw him at Rushden as a player and believe I can make him a better player. If he scores the goals that get us back up into League 1 and (then) we lose him, then fair enough."

Jackson gained his ninth international cap for Canada during a 5-0 defeat against Diego Maradona’s Argentina on Tuesday.

Jackson started on the bench before coming on as a 66th-minute replacement for Rob Friend in front of a crowd of 66,000 in Buenos Aires.

Canada continue their South American tour against Venezuela tomorrow (Saturday).

If Jackson wins his 10th cap in that game it will leave him only one behind Ian Cox, who is Gillingham’s second most capped player.

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/kentonline/sport/2010/may/27/simeon_jackson.aspx

To put things in perspective, Everton just signed 26 year-old Jermaine Beckford from Leeds Utd. He scored 31 goals last year in League One. Four years ago he was playing in the 7th tier of English football.

Anything can happen for Simeon, but he needs to continue scoring goals.

Jacksons' 9 game goal scoring slump coincided with a hamstring injury which forced him to not even start! Too bad for Jackson and too bad for the Gills! I still want to see him paired up with Friend for Canada, could be a real good strike force!

To me, it is pretty clear the manager is posturing. Gils are probably a club that are at their level in League 2 (nothing wrong with that). Holding onto Jackson would strike me as a pretty bad financial decision UNLESS the potential financial benefit from winning promotion back to League 1 is larger than what they might get for Jackson. Seems like a risky move if he follows through but a manager is always going to be loathe to give up his best striker

He'll be 24 when his contract expires, which would entitle Gillingham to compensation if he moves within England. I would guess if Newcastle got 300k for Edgar, the Gills would be looking at something similar if not more. There are 4 promotion spots out of League 2, and a proven striker would give the manager hope they could go straight back up. I'm not sure how much promotion to League One is really worth, but when you factor in the compensation, it may be more than the 1m or so they could get for him today. Especially given that such a transfer from most Championship sides would likely include a series of payments, many of which may be based on performance milestones.

Every possibility you guys have brought forward already is a plausible reality.

As poorly as this might go down in Gillingham, I think Simeon needs to hand in a transfer request as soon as he gets back to England.

As has been mentioned, there is no guarantee that the Gills will be likely to ship him up the food chain for cash as he may mean just as much to them financially if he stays with the squad. Jackson and his agent need to make it clear that he will NOT play in League Two next year and demand that the club sell him.

It's not the best way to endear yourself at the club, but Jackson doesn't owe them anything. He got them back up to League One virtually carrying the team on his back and they have to failed to build a team around him.

It's time for him to be a bit selfish and look after his own interests. He needs to go to a club like Charlton or Southampton in League One, or to a competitive side in the Champsionship, or maybe to a different league abroad. But he does NOT need more experience in League Two.

He'll be 24 when his contract expires, which would entitle Gillingham to compensation if he moves within England. I would guess if Newcastle got 300k for Edgar, the Gills would be looking at something similar if not more. There are 4 promotion spots out of League 2, and a proven striker would give the manager hope they could go straight back up. I'm not sure how much promotion to League One is really worth, but when you factor in the compensation, it may be more than the 1m or so they could get for him today. Especially given that such a transfer from most Championship sides would likely include a series of payments, many of which may be based on performance milestones.

They wouldn't get anything close to the compensation that Newcastle got for Edgar. Age and highest level of play would be taken into consideration. Edgar was a 22 year old with EPL experience last year while next year Jackson will be a 24 year old with League 1 experience. Another factor would also probably be the length of time the player was in the club's system. Edgar is a product of the Newcastle academy while Jackson was developed by Rushdon and Diamonds not Gillingham.

As far as league level financial incentive goes, I imagine there is a great incentive to not get relegated to the Conference but I would be surprised if League 1 would bring them that much extra money. If it did, I would have expected them to spend a lot more this year to try and stay up. League 1 is attractive mostly to clubs with Championship aspirations which is where clubs start earning bigger money. Gillingham is in its rightful place somewhere between Conference and League 1 and doesn't really have the fan or population base to stay in the Championship for an extended period.

I am pretty sure Jackson will be sold during the summer but if they don't get an offer they deem satisfactory they might wait to the winter window and hope he scores a lot of goals in League 2 in the meantime. The latter would be a risky strategy though since injury or lack of form could really hurt his value.

They wouldn't get anything close to the compensation that Newcastle got for Edgar. Age and highest level of play would be taken into consideration. Edgar was a 22 year old with EPL experience last year while next year Jackson will be a 24 year old with League 1 experience. Another factor would also probably be the length of time the player was in the club's system. Edgar is a product of the Newcastle academy while Jackson was developed by Rushdon and Diamonds not Gillingham.

Although I generally agree with that logic, I wouldn't be surprised if Jackson went for something between 150 000 to 250 000. His last transfer was for 150 000 pounds (from Rushden to Gillingham), so it's likely that he'll transfer for not much lower, if not somewhat higher (if it is a negotiated transfer). A tribunal may take that previous fee into account, to some extent, I'm not sure. One could also argue that Edgar was unproven, while Jackson is a known commodity (albeit at a lower level.) There are lots of Edgar-esque players - guys developed by big clubs with limited Premier League experience, so that may have influenced the 300 000 valuation.

FWIW, Hume was worth £750,000 to Leicester City in August 2005 (at age 21) , after HIS 15 goal season in Lg 1 and a smattering of caps with Canada.

Yes he's 2 years older without nearly as much hype, but Jackson's numbers and his caps for Canada put him in the same discussion, at least.

As an aside, it seems so funny to me that on the whole V's tend to grossly overvalue the calibre of play in Lg 1/Championship or grossly undervalue it. I can't see, for instance, how Simeon could be worth anything close to as low as £150,000, and I think the market will be prove me right before too long.

FWIW:

Gillingham's asking price for Jackson in January was £1,000,000.

So OK, his blistering form has cooled off substantially and maybe no one was ever going to pay a million for Jacko. But there is simply no way he will leave Gillingham for anything less than £500,000 - if he were to go for anything less than that, he would be worth more to the Gills in the team trying to get them back up to League One.

I am confident if he is sold it will be in the range of £600,000 to £900,000

More discussion on Simeon - apparently Millwall have sniffed around and had their £250,000 offer rejected, with something closer to £500,000 expected. I wonder if Sheffield Wednesday might look at him. Like Owls, Simeon seems to have the potential to go up to the Championship sometime soon, if they can stay out of administration. The net is swimming in Simeon rumours at the moment, so this should be a very interesting period coming up.

http://gillsconnected.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=general&thread=1478&page=1

To quote the article:

A relatively inexpensive option would be Simeon Jackson....

I really think that if we end up with a big lump up front we need an instinctive finisher and I think that SJ could potentially fulfil this role with aplomb with the right sort of coaching. When he's on song he is a top notch finisher and has scored some real beauties over the past couple of years. And poached a few too....

OK so he was pretty lame towards the end of the season but I reckon he has enough about him to be a regular scorer given the right sort of backing. It might just be that we have the right man in NW to get the best out of players like Jackson who have the raw materials but need them harnessed correctly. Bearing in mind how he was starting to get the best out of Adel who can say for certain that he couldn't perform a similar feat??

Remember this post when he is scoring regularly in the CCC next season and I just hope it's for us......

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11750_6201760,00.html

Gillingham boss Andy Hessenthaler says he is determined to keep hold of in-demand striker Simeon Jackson.

The 23-year-old netted 14 goals for the Gills last season but it was not enough to stop them from being relegated from League One.

Now in the fourth tier of English football, the club face a stiff task in fending off repeated interest in his signature.

Jackson still has one year remaining on his contract and Hessenthaler admits he would rather keep him for another campaign and risk losing him on a free transfer than let him go now.

"I think there have been a couple of cheeky ones (offers). I don't really know, the chairman is dealing with that," he told the Kent Messenger.

"I want him to stay and I've told Simeon and his agent that but everyone has their price.

"We don't want to lose him on the cheap. But it's out of my hands really. If the right offer comes along for Simeon and it's right for both parties, then we'll probably lose him."

Hessenthaler confirmed his interest in defender Matt Fish who plays for his former club Dover.

He added: "Fish does interest me. He has been away on holiday and hasn't committed himself to anywhere at the moment."

I just read a rumor column today that said Norwich is about to place a bid for him. Would be a solid move up for him and a decent club. They do have two above average League 1 strikers but I think he'll get more than a few games to show he can score at the next level if they sink a million into him.

Hmm interesting - do you honour your contract, but play at a level that really won't help your stock, but you could score a bucketload of goals ...

I think he's gotta go. Championship is a good move.

It's not even so much a case of honouring his contract, if a team comes in with a high enough bid Gillingham will almost have to sell him! We haven't heard much of what Jackson thinks about the whole deal, I'm sure his agent is advising him! I think the Championship would be a great move for him and for his international career!

Archived