Changes in Montreal

Well, If memory serves me right, an announcement about MLS was expected in the first quarter of 2010. Normally news that big usually gets leaked (by the club, city or league). I suspect that this will have something to do with non-profit structure currently in place.

Don't expect any major news, it would of already been leaked all over the place if it was an MLS announcement and with the MLS season in jeapordy don't expect any announcement any time soon, Garber has bigger issues right now.

This is the first I have heard of a press conference for Wednesday, don't wet your jammies just yet all they'll do is probably unveil the new jersey from Legea.

Here's the wording of the media call. If it was directly MLS related Garber or an MLS rep would be listed as an attendee:

PRESS CONFERENCE

The Montreal Impact is pleased to invite you to a press conference that will take place:

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

1:30 pm

Federico Corneli Lounge

Saputo Stadium

4750, Sherbrooke East Street

Montreal

On this occasion, the Impact will announce a major change in the structure of the club, player signings and a new corporate partnership.

Montreal Impact President Joey Saputo, technical director Nick De Santis, as well as a few players will be available for the media during the press conference.

The beer thing is terrible news but the academy is certainly a welcome development even if long overdue.

THE MONTREAL IMPACT ACADEMY IS CREATED

http://www.montrealimpact.com/News/News.aspx?language=EN

PRESS RELEASE: March 17, 2010

MONTREAL – The Montreal Impact FC announced Wednesday the acquisition of a Canadian Soccer League (CSL) franchise and the creation of the Montreal Impact Academy, which will become the Montreal club’s reserve team. The new franchise will evolve in the CSL as of the 2010 season and will have its home at Saputo Stadium.

This represents the first step in the creation of a development program within the club. The main objective of the Academy will be the development of Quebec players aged 17 to 21 within the club’s professional environment.

“We are taking today a further step towards the development of young players within our organization,” declared Joey Saputo, President of the Montreal Impact and Saputo Stadium. “We are taking full control of our reserve team to favour the growth of our local talent. By mixing with the first team players and by playing on the same field, the Impact will offer to its young players the best possible conditions to enhance their training experience. I wish to thank the community and the City of Trois-Rivières for their support in the last years.”

The Montreal club will manage the Academy’s technical, financial and operations-related activities. The Impact has moreover announced the nomination of Philippe Eullaffroy as head coach of the reserve team. He becomes the first director of player development to be hired full-time by the club. Eullaffroy will be assisted by Oliver Brett.

In 2009, in his first season as head coach of the Attak, Phillipe Eullaffroy led the team to the regular season championship, as well as to the first playoff championship in club history, October 25, 2009, versus the Serbian Eagles.

“Philippe demonstrated last year that he can work with a group of young players and that he is able to successfully develop them, as much on an individual basis than within a club’s mentality,” declared Impact technical director Nick De Santis. “He has gained a lot of experience, having notably worked at the training centers of Troies and Reims.”

The 2010 season calendar in the CSL will be unveiled shortly. The cost to attend the Academy’s matches at Saputo Stadium will be of only $2.

AGOURRAM, BADESCU AND MAYARD UNTIL 2011

The Impact also announced that it had come to terms with three players from its organization. Forward Reda Agourram and goalkeeper Andrei Badescu signed two-year deals, while midfielder Pierre-Rudolph Mayard obtained a contract extension until the 2011 season. All contracts are pending USSF approval.

Agourram, a 19-year-old Montrealer of Moroccan origin, was the top scorer of the Canadian Soccer League last season, scoring 13 goals with the Impact’s reserve team in 19 matches (14 starts) and 1,356 minutes of play. He was selected Rookie of the Year, both with the Attak and in the league at the end of the 2009 season. He was invited at the Impact’s training camp January 25, 2010, and joined the team during its pre-season tour in Portugal in mid-February. Agourram took part in all three exhibition games of the team and scored a goal against Freamunde and Celta de Vigo. He also wears the colours of the U-23 Canadian National Team.

Badescu, a 25-year-old Romanian goalkeeper, was in 2009 the first goalkeeper of the reserve team and was the third goalkeeper of the Impact. With the Attak, Badescu tallied 13 wins in 16 matches and posted a 0,95 Goals Allowed Average. He evolved with various second, third and fourth division clubs in Romania, from 2000 to 2007.

Mayard, a 22-year-old Quebec midfielder, played his rookie season with the Impact last year. In 2009, he played eight matches, of which six as a starter, for a total of 478 minutes, tallying one goal and one assist for a total of three points. He is a product of the club’s reserve team who had finished the 2008 season as the top scorer of the Attak. Mayard has been loaned to the Charleston Battery, a USL Second Division club, for a 5-month period from March 10 to August 13, 2010.

“These are three young players from our club, so it’s very positive,” mentioned Nick De Santis. “These three players have the potential to play in 2010. They will need to keep up the work and show consistency during training.”

It is possible to purchase 2010 season tickets, or mini-season tickets for five matches starting at $50 or for ten matches starting at $100. Dial 514-328-3668 or visit impactmontreal.com.

Basically the Attak is no more, there will be a Montreal Impact Academy operating out of Saputo Stadium.

That's not quite right as I understand it. The Attak still exist, they simply no longer have any players or a coach. The Impact have acquired a NEW CSL franchise, it's not the Attak which is being moved. That being said, it remains to be seen if those in charge of the Attak decide to keep going or close up shop.

this is very good news.

I am pretty sure CSL players are going to enjoy not only coming to Montreal but also playing at Stade Saputo. I'm quite certain the players on my team (Milltown FC) are going to love this news.

Congratulations Impact. Well done

That's not quite right as I understand it. The Attak still exist, they simply no longer have any players or a coach. The Impact have acquired a NEW CSL franchise, it's not the Attak which is being moved. That being said, it remains to be seen if those in charge of the Attak decide to keep going or close up shop.

That is my understanding of the situation as well. It would be really positive for the CSL and soccer in Quebec if they manage to keep what has up to now been a pretty successful team going.

Count me as one of the few people who have more questions. If TRA still exist, who will be the owners etc?

What's the backbone of the academy going to be? Full-time coach is a great start, will be interesting to see the other supporting details are.

Very glad to see that overall, the CSL is starting to get a developmental feel to it. Hope that Reda does well this year, will give incentive for more to follow.

Someone with deep pockets is going to have to step in and save the Attak, as Saputo has mentioned that the franchise has lost alot of money since it's existence. Maybe someone with a different budget structure, possibly community owned?

I would think that there is a big difference in the costs of running a USL reserve team (especially one not based in the city it plays in) and running a regular CSL team. If they can manage anything near their usual attendance this should be good enough for the CSL. Since the Impact dumped them, our reserve team would be a natural rival right away. Also I think Saputo's comments can be seen as some justification/excuses for moving the team from a city that did a pretty good job of supporting the team. I think he has some good reasons for moving the team but it is pretty unfair to the city of Trois-Rivieres and the fans of the Attak.

great to hear.

i hope they try and emulate what the whitecaps have built as far as the residncy program.

the impact are a great club and will only get better.

it would be cool if in the future, there is a csl team that is the reserves for a nasl team that is a reserve team for the montreal mls team. :)

Archived