Big Apple Soccer: Sutton Seeking a Long Red Bull Run

nolando

A good article from the weekend on Sutton:

http://bigapplesoccer.com/teams/redbulls2.php?article_id=22741

"We're not really going to base anything on what we see in camp," McAleenan said. "The guy has played in over 150 games in the league. He's a Canadian international. You get a closer look at him at camp. You sort of know his abilities. Unfortunately, he doesn't have a club. He's trying to find a situation. We're taking a look at him because we're looking to have strength and depth at our positions. We're going to have to make a decision soon on some of these fellows."

Is Gaudette still in camp?

He didn't play at all in the Red Bulls games in the Disney tournament.

Sutton and Bouna Coundoul split duties in the first game, while Coundoul split duties with some other keeper in the second game. Bouna is already under contract with NY (and not as good as Sutton, IMO).

He didn't play at all in the Red Bulls games in the Disney tournament.

Sutton and Bouna Coundoul split duties in the first game, while Coundoul split duties with some other keeper in the second game. Bouna is already under contract with NY (and not as good as Sutton, IMO).

I thought Bouna was unreal in Colorado haven't seen him since then though

Keegan, Bouna is a sensational shot stopper but he makes boneheaded decisions all the time. And the only reason he needs to be a great shot stopper is because his positioning is awful. Sutton, for all his faults, is a much better keeper overall.

nolando, thanks for that link. LOL at the dude who claims we're anti-American up here, did he not just watch the Olympics?

The booing of the anthem at BMO Field during the All-Star Game is not entirely true, the crowd actually sang the Canadian anthem over it after it appeared that the game organizers would only play GTSQ (for West Ham) and the Star Spangled Banner. It was a giant, organizational clusterfuck that led to a misunderstanding from the crowd (they only announced that they would be playing the Brit and Yank anthems, then went to a commercial break, then did the Canadian anthem, previously unannounced). But of course context doesn't matter to people looking for any excuse to whine.

The other examples are bogus. I don't remember the American anthem being booed in the U-19 Women's WC, and the U-17 WC was held in 1987! Even if booing did happen, it was 23 years ago FFS, get over it.

^ Sorry Rudi, there was an extremely loud chorus of boos as the SSB started before the crowd starting singing Oh Canada...and whether the crowd thought they weren't going to play Oh Canada or not it was still classless to sing over both anthems. Actually i'll go as far as saying it was an embarassment to our country, i was surrounded by US media who were looking around at each other dumbfounded and then appalled at what was happening.

Not sure why you are apologizing to me, but I did acknowledge the boos in my post.

It was stupid of the crowd to do, followed by singing our anthem over theirs, but at the same time had a simple two-second mention of Oh Canada been made, the entire episode would have been avoided. The British and American flags were trotted out onto the field, with the Maple Leaf no where in sight. Those other anthems were played, with still no mention of Canada at all. I'm not saying I agree with those who booed/sang over the American anthem, but I can understand it as the ceremony seemed to slight Canada completely.

Regardless, it's disingenuous to label the BMO Field crowd as anti-American given that we've never booed the Star Spangled Banner before or after that event, and we've even gone so far as to sing it ourselves when a singer forgot the words to the song midway through.

^ Sorry Rudi, there was an extremely loud chorus of boos as the SSB started before the crowd starting singing Oh Canada...and whether the crowd thought they weren't going to play Oh Canada or not it was still classless to sing over both anthems. Actually i'll go as far as saying it was an embarassment to our country, i was surrounded by US media who were looking around at each other dumbfounded and then appalled at what was happening.

I walked into the stadium right after the national anthems were played for that game. So I only heard about that incident. But what I have noted is that there has been a noticeable drop in the yahoo element in the crowd between year two and year three. That event was in year two.

Also. too many people tend to forget that it doesn;'t take a lot people to make "boos" heard in a stadium, arena or public facility with crowds. Especially at times when athems are played since the majority standing silent. Its no different than the stories about french (or English) version of Oh Canada being booed, how many of the 20-40K are actually booing. I'll bet that it takes as little as a dozen to two dozen people to be heard. No one can say that the actions of something like 1% should be reflective of the group as a whole. None the less, i have to agree... it is still embarassing when you hear of these stories.

It was certainly only a fraction of the stadium, but a large minority (maybe even majority) of the South stands as well as some of the East and West stands booed. It was like a loud wall of boos hitting the press box, probably hundreds if not a thousand people must have booed.

Americans in general are the biggest cry baby losers on this earth when it comes to sports. They show a terrible sporting attitude generally and I dont really feel bad that some NYRB fans are whining about it, deal with it boys.

Wow, Sutton isn't a popular guy among the NY fans.

Actually, reading all theses comments on Sutton, I'm starting to believe that Sutton isn't popular outside Canada. I remember watching the 2009 Gold Cup game Costa Rica - Canada with my brother making hard comments on Sutton keeper talents. We were wathching the game on livestreaming from a Mexican channel and the commentator gave reason to my brother comments as he laughed and made jokes on Sutton, especially on the first Costa Rica goal. Personally, I think the CNMT is too much for Sutton but he could find easily a place in the MLS.

Landing a starting role in MLS is likely to be challenging for him given he wasn't able to achieve it at TFC where being a CMNT player should have helped considerably. A lot of MLS teams tend to go with a younger keeper as their backup due to the restraints imposed by the salary cap and small senior roster so I disagree about the "he could find easily a place in the MLS" bit. With further Canadian expansion and the potential for over 10 more roster spots reserved exclusively for Canadian domestic players by 2012, however, I can understand why he still wants to hang in there.

He's funny because he would be easy to write off right now, but I can also easily picture him as a lesser version of Onstad, playing at a high level for a lot more years.

I think I remember reading that he turned down a couple of offers to be a back-up after being released by TFC, so it's hard to say if he would tough it out for very long if doesn't get the chance to play much this year.

MLS is funny too though. Some great 'keepers but also some absolute shite over the years.

Personally I think Sutton at his best is an outstanding goalkeeper for MLS. At his most mediocre, not so much. This opportunity really comes down to whether or not he can shake off the rust AND find a defensive core in New York that is a suitable match for him. If he can, and he does, he'll be a great addition. If he can't, and he doesn't, it's back to hitting the road for Mr Sutton.

... With further Canadian expansion and the potential for over 10 more roster spots reserved exclusively for Canadian domestic players by 2012, however, I can understand why he still wants to hang in there.

To still "hang in there" aka make a decent pay day? He could probably find a team to play for but is probably looking for an MLS club that will pay him decent coin. Lets be honest, he's been out of commission for awhile and needs some playing time. He should consider going back to the USL even if it means taking a pay cut at least he'll be playing full time, get back in game shape, increase his stock. At least we know the NASL/USL won't be going through a work stoppage.

- GOALKEEPER RUMOR: Word around town is that the Bulls are in the market or close to signing a foreign keeper. Now, that can be double speak for “Greg Sutton” or they may actually be looking at overseas options. I will keep you informed if I hear anything else on that note.

http://redbulls.theoffside.com/players-red-bulls-news-rumors-opinions/roundup-goalkeeper-rumor-enar-jaager-rbny-v-army-and-more.html

- GOALKEEPER RUMOR: Word around town is that the Bulls are in the market or close to signing a foreign keeper. Now, that can be double speak for “Greg Sutton” or they may actually be looking at overseas options. I will keep you informed if I hear anything else on that note.

http://redbulls.theoffside.com/players-red-bulls-news-rumors-opinions/roundup-goalkeeper-rumor-enar-jaager-rbny-v-army-and-more.html

Tough to know if it's a reference to Sutton. Considering he has American citizenship I doubt it's him.

I read today that Antony Silva from Paraguayan First Division club Rubio Ñu should make a deal with Red Bull in the next days to come.

I read today that Antony Silva from Paraguayan First Division club Rubio Ñu should make a deal with Red Bull in the next days to come.

Hmmm so what now? Goalkeeper jobs are all taken up on the Canadian teams... maybe he can find a backup role for one season or be a starter in NASL/USL and wait for Edmonton to come into the league

Archived