Toronto Star reports Adrian Serioux has not been retained by TFC

dbailey62

Kristian Jack also mentioned this in a tweet (think that's the terminology anyway?) about a week ago. The rumour elsewhere at that point was that he had injured his elbow and would not be fully fit for the start of the season. It's also possible that he is one of the players Preki doesn't rate. Pure speculation on my part but I suspect a coach who emphasizes defence may not appreciate his nonchalance on the ball sometimes. Often when he is last man at the back he takes on an opposing striker 1 vs 1 when he doesn't have to.

That's a shame quality MLS vet.

He's a verstaile player with possibly the best throw-in the game.

Hopefully this mean Andrade and/or Said are close to being inked.

With one or both of them and Gomez Attakora and Herold, TFC's CB problems could be a thing of the past.

Could is a reach... if one of them signs we have two MLS quality center backs including Attakora. Gomez and Herold need to develop before playing regular ball. Herold is 17 remember

Could is a reach... if one of them signs we have two MLS quality center backs including Attakora. Gomez and Herold need to develop before playing regular ball. Herold is 17 remember

I know I meant it as we would have guys to bring those younger guys along. I believe Gomez will take on a bigger role than people expect Herold yeah is 17 and probbaly won't suit up, but having a exierenced natural CB around is only gonna speed up his development. these GA kids are pretty good we have seen young kids make a splash at the MLS level this kid was being sought after by Hamburg SV I believe (it was some Bundesliga team anyways).

Could may be a reach, but it definietly could put them into posistion to be one or 2 guys away from getting the back 4 up to snuff.

Kristian Jack tweeted today that Serioux faces possible retirement because of his neck injury. If so, it's reason enough for the club not to renew, solid MLS defender or not.

Makes sense with Barrett, Peterson and De-Ro with injuries no need to take on another especially since more will come throughout the season I'm sure.

CBC said "possible career ending neck injury" so it must be bad. Given that he is a very solidly built man it must have been some nasty neck injury. Here's hoping he can make a recovery and play a few more years before hanging up the cleats. I've always liked watching him play and felt that he was an excellent player, a bit to flashy with the ball sometimes but solid with good ball handling skills. If he does retire I hope he does well in future endeavors.

...Adrian Serioux was a notable absentee Wednesday. The Canadian defender has yet to come to terms on a new deal with TFC. Published reports of a possible career-threatening injury are erroneous. The matter is strictly contractual. And if it were up to Serioux, he would be back playing in his home-town, saying he’s “Red at heart and wants to be here.”

Yet TFC seems prepared to let him walk. This doesn’t make much sense, considering Serioux is Canadian and fits a need as a physical presence in defence.

Serioux's neck injury being "career threatening" never made much sense to me because he was prepared to go to MNT camp 2 weeks ago (and only backed out after wrecking his elbow).

My question is whether this is strictly about money or other issues?

Yeah, the whole TFC letting him go because his career does not wash as VPjr states above. Sometimes this team is just something else. This reeks of the similar backhanded dealings that went on with Dichio and other situations. Just when things seem to be positive with the hiring of Preki, this leaves a bad taste. You can debate Serioux as a player - I personally think he has a lot to offer - but you can't really debate that he worked his butt off and left it all on the field for the club. TFC should at least thank him for his service and treat him with the class that he deserves.

Serioux's neck injury being "career threatening" never made much sense to me because he was prepared to go to MNT camp 2 weeks ago (and only backed out after wrecking his elbow).

My question is whether this is strictly about money or other issues?

Maybe Preki doesn't rate him? Or perhaps they feel he might be spending more time in the physio room than on the field over the course of the upcoming season.

^ Preki definitely has seen enough of him to have an opinion of him, that's for sure.

I'm just a little surprised that Serioux (a Canadian) is expendable when Garcia (a stiff) is still on the roster. Of course, in fairness, Garcia might not break camp with the team but it seems like Preki is more willing to give an ex-teammate a chance to win a spot on the team but not a Canadian NT player.

Maybe TFC don't want so many Canadian MNT's on the team (they already have 2-3), especially if Canada plans to have a more active schedule of friendlies. Just pulling that theory out of the air...

All in all, I'm disappointed for Adrian. I've always appreciated him as a player and I really rated his play very highly early last season....too bad injuries ruined the 2nd half of the year for him.

Hasn`t Garcia been rumured to be on guaranteed money.

I think it`s unfair that he get played chronically out of position last season, and that`s what we have to judge him by. Looking at his skill set, i`d say he`s much closer to a RB than anything else. Unquestionably a usable part even if he`s not envisioned as a starter. Although i wonder if this isn`t just all about contract talks and sticking a guy with less money because TFC is in cap-space hell after mojo wasted all the allocation dollars last year.

He been roundly f*ed over by TFC twice now IMHO.

I forgot about that, you mean when he joined at like the start of TFC and they swiftly traded him to dallas? That first year he probably would have been a huge upgrade for us. And responding to someone else, I always considered him a defensive midfielder, strong ball winner (and in CDM he goes in a little more freely) with good ball skills and I don't want to give him too much credit but he'd probably be the most dominant (physically) in central midfeilder in maybe half to 2/3 of his games.

^ Preki definitely has seen enough of him to have an opinion of him, that's for sure.

I'm just a little surprised that Serioux (a Canadian) is expendable when Garcia (a stiff) is still on the roster. Of course, in fairness, Garcia might not break camp with the team but it seems like Preki is more willing to give an ex-teammate a chance to win a spot on the team but not a Canadian NT player.

Maybe TFC don't want so many Canadian MNT's on the team (they already have 2-3), especially if Canada plans to have a more active schedule of friendlies. Just pulling that theory out of the air...

All in all, I'm disappointed for Adrian. I've always appreciated him as a player and I really rated his play very highly early last season....too bad injuries ruined the 2nd half of the year for him.

I agree. During the first half of the season I thought he was really strong with man marking, either outmuscling big strikers or having the agility to stay with quicker forwards but then the injury bug hit and it undermined his performance significantly.

...I'm just a little surprised that Serioux (a Canadian) is expendable when Garcia (a stiff) is still on the roster. Of course, in fairness, Garcia might not break camp with the team but it seems like Preki is more willing to give an ex-teammate a chance to win a spot on the team but not a Canadian NT player...

Garcia may be on a guaranteed contract for this season. This time last year Frank Yallop gave him his latest multiyear deal in San Jose and I've seen it stated that two years guaranteed plus two more on league held options is the norm for well-paid veteran players (unfortunately I neglected to bookmark the article I read this in and don't have time to back that up with a url at the moment).

http://web.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20090121&content_id=213342&vkey=news_sje&fext=.jsp

I suspect Carl Robinson and Ali Gerba are two other players on big money guaranteed contracts who may hang around for the upcoming season even though Preki would prefer not to have them. On the plus side if Preki were to motivate Garcia and Gerba to recapture their form of two or three seasons ago and manages to persuade Carl Robinson to play at centre back (something John Carver appeared to want to try this time last season) a lot of the issues with the roster would potentially be solved. He'll be doing well to achieve two out of three on that, unfortunately.

I guess that would make sense BBTB...

Mo sure likes to saddle his team with bad contracts for middling players.

Molinaro just posted over at RPB he is indeed on guaranteed money for this season (with a team option after this year). Well there's another skeleton that just fell out of the closet.

Archived