Voyageurs Cup in the Soccer Hall of Fame..........

Just thought I would let you guys know what I have been working on over the past few months.

John TV originally raised this idea, and it's something I have been negotiating over the past few months with a number of individuals/groups.

The major stipulation that I have put on this, is the Hall of Fame make an EXACT duplicate of the Voyageurs Cup, and cover the cost of this endeavour. I believe this to be a very important condition for us, and many who witnessed the jubilant celebrations after the 2009 Voyageurs Cup recognize this to be a prudent idea. We have already lost the original case that was solid oak and virtually cost as much as the trophy itself. The trophy could easily be damaged/broken or go completely missing. Damage is inevitable at some point and this gives us a bit of insurance in that regard.

The original trophy will be kept in the Hall of Fame and be available for presentation to the victorious club. The club will then keep the duplicate Voyageurs Cup for the year. This has been agreed upon by the CSA and Hall of Fame. Again, I have insisted that the duplicate be an EXACT copy.

Everyone has been working in good faith and things are progressing in a positive manner. Les Jones, Chairman of the Hall of Fame, has been working on their behalf and Peter Montopoli and Joe Guest from the CSA are fully supportive of this endeavour.

At any rate, I can't think of a better home for the Voyageurs Cup than the Canadian Soccer Hall of Fame. It simply increases the stature of our trophy, which is already viewed as "Canadian soccer's equivalent to the Grey Cup and Stanley Cup."

I think this is another exciting chapter in the evolution of the Voyageurs Cup and hope you are all as excited as I. Hopefully everyone is good with this development and I would like to hear what the V's think, particularly those that contributed to the creation of the Voyageurs Cup in 2002. Much work has been completed, but if people don't want this to happen, I can put the brakes on this project...........

http://www.thesoccerhalloffame.ca/

Always good to have a permanent home for an important trophy (sort of like how the Stanley Cup original sits in the Hockey Hall of Fame, but better cuz it's footie)!

I have to say, though, that the HoF website could use a definite facelift. Perhaps after this site's facelift is completed we can put our services to helping that one out.

I am delighted with the response and am looking forward to see that great trophy on display. The Hall attracts around 12000 spectators yearly and I guess over these years some 120000 have seen the displays,those that are inducted and the Olympic Gold Medal in Soccer that we won in 1904 and other famous trophies.

One hundred and twenty have been elected into the Hall of Fame, which is broken down into two categories,players and builders.The Hall is located at the Soccer Centre in Vaughn/Woodbridge.I assume that we will receive a history write up on this trophy including those that contributed to it's original cost.I visualize that this will also serve as one that will further attract Canadian team supporters and further increase the awareness of the Nutrilite Canadian Championship.Ultimately it will rank up there with the Stanley Cup and Grey Cup. The big difference is that this is donated by the Canadian fans and the Voyageurs in particular,which is just marvelous.

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

I am good with it. I trust the HoF write up will include the full history of the Cup and not just its recent history?

Absolutely, as well as a list of contributors.

In fact, if people can e-mail me old photo's from over the years, I will pass them on.

quote:Originally posted by Trident

Will this "replica" feature the engravings from all previous Vcups?

Because I've heard that the Impact never bothered to engrave their names on it?

The Impact never did any engraving, but the CSA contacted me about this, and stated they would look after it.

So yes, the replica will have their victories engraved.

^No kidding. Who would have known that our measly individual contributions

way back in 2002 would have evolved into an important part of Canadian professional

soccer history?

We owe Dwayne Cole for working hard and making this happen. Big thanks, Dwayne!

(If everyone buys you a beer, that's 3,000 beers from the Voyageurs.)

I guess we could plan a Voyageur,Soccer Hall Of Fame media conference.Makes a great story and even prepare a scroll of those that contributed towards the cost.They will be part of Canadian Soccer History.Don't buy those 3000 beers yet, we need Dwayne.

Just wondering,suggesting and recommending guys.

quote:Originally posted by Martyr

Great idea. I'm completely in favour.

Regarding the Oak case... if Montreal lost it shouldn't they replace it?

I don't think that would be an unreasonable expectation of Montreal. That said, they are under no contractual obligation to do so.

The CSA didn't know it existed until I told them. I really don't know when the case went missing, as it was the CSA that informed me.

The CSA said they would get another case, but I would not expect it to be anything of the magnitude that we had. The custom case we made was very expensive.

Dwayne I truly believe that this being of very historical value,it to be replaced at it's orignal status.

We don't want any mickey mouse story to this and minimize the investments of those that did.This is and will be an historical trophy and mickey mouse ain't part.The fans invested and they will get their money's worth at least,

quote:Originally posted by john tv

Dwayne I truly believe that this being of very historical value,it to be replaced at it's orignal status.

We don't want any mickey mouse story to this and minimize the investments of those that did.This is and will be an historical trophy and mickey mouse ain't part.The fans invested and they will get their money's worth at least,

I believe the CSA have already replaced the case, and unfortunetly nobody is under any contactual obligation to replace the original case. I doubt anyone has seen the case since 2002.

The case was originally designed to stop a semi-trailer, as we envisioned the V-Cup traveling from coast-to-coast. I wanted to insure it was well protected on it's travels. With Montreal owning the trophy for 7 years, the case was never really used.

Now that it is under the CSA's administration, our original concerns have been resolved so the need for a case like the original design is not as pressing. If Montreal replace the case, it will still not be the original case, and I doubt the original design.

The CSA did tell me that they would replace the case, so I will follow up in this regard...........

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

The Impact never did any engraving, but the CSA contacted me about this, and stated they would look after it.

So yes, the replica will have their victories engraved.

No wonder I didn't notice any engravings when I took a quick look during the presentation ceremony.

I thought maybe I had missed them (I only took a glace as I handed the trophy to Jim Brennan).

Just confirmed with the CSA they have in fact purchased a wood case for the Voyageurs Cup (that they replaced at their expense).

No, it is not the solid oak sarcophagus that we originally designed, and really is not necessary at this point.

Unfortunate, but not entirely surprising, which is why I want the replica V-Cup made.

Archived