July 11th - SJ Earthquakes vs TFC [R]

quote:Originally posted by BringBackTheBlizzard

Containing the player was not enough in that situation. The last thing you want is the player turning inside to the top of the six yard box where he can potentially get a low and hard shot away to the far post. Attakora was very hesitant and should have been trying harder to clear the immediate danger by getting a tackle in. Maybe he has the Andy Boyens failing of being reluctant to leave his feet for fear of giving away a penalty. He's doing quite well at the moment but Cummins took the right approach by pointing out that he still needs to do a bit more to really establish himself as a starter in MLS terms. He'll wind up a better player if he is pushed to be all he can be at this stage in his career rather than having people around him acting like sycophants by telling him that he is already the finished article.

On Wynne, I can definitely see where people are coming from but I would like to see the action from behind the goal before stating categorically that Huckerby should have been his man. Can remember a goal last season away to the New England Revolution (the one Brian Edwards was heavily criticized for) where watching that carefully made it obvious that Laurent Robert was the culprit in terms of leaving the player who scored wide open, something that you could not tell from the other camera angles.

Huckerby came late on the play. Wynne may not have seen him. Hucks received the ball at the top of the box IIRC so was probably about ten yards outside the box when the pass was made.

It was an intelligent play by the attacker.

It sort of reminded me of how Gretzky would sucker in one or two defencemen, do a 180 and float a pass out to Jari Kurri who would slide in all alone and put one in.

Marvell was suckered a bit. He was obviously trying to assist his fellow defenders but he really did have the blinkers on. He's got to be looking out for the late opportunist.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Gordon

Maybe Cummins figures that the other 3 are vets and what you see is what you get whereas Nana still has an upside and the possibility of improvement if pushed.

Perhaps, although given that Wynne is (IIRC) only 23, one would think that was pretty much an indictment of his soccer savvy if they think that his positionaly cluelessness on the field that we see from time to time (evidence of which we say perfectly on the play) will never improve.

quote:Originally posted by Tuscan

While the win is fantastic (and deserved), I don't enjoy the fact that Barrett got the goals. I won't deny being biased against him, and I'd prefer to see him on the bench once Ali arrives.

TUSCAN ... I cant even watch the TFC games with you and your still pissing me off. I cant believe that your still against this guy. he scored 2 goals i dont care if the defender got hurt Barrett had him beat either way. like you said a striker's job is to score goals and he did that. Vitti rides the bence when Gerba gets here. Gerba will need a hard working striker to get him the ball.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

Actually, MLS has had the second assist for as long as I can remember. They just don't hand them out very often.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I still think the announcers were annoying tho haha. Actually my bro told me today about the 2 assist. I kind of like that tho cause sometimes the person who made the 1st pass made the goal happen like set up on vitti's goal, bt either way it doesnt seem to soccer like but if they dont do it often its not to bad.

Guest speedmonk42
quote:Originally posted by dbailey62

Yes, that was very special by Di Canio.

I can certainly understand FIFA's concerns though.

With all the diving, cheating and fakery that is going on out there in this world of "modern football", what is to stop a defender who thinks he is going to be beaten to a ball from feigning a serious injury in the hopes that some sympathetic attacker might forego a scoring opportunity.

I say, for the sake of consistency, leave it to the referee the only exceptions being, as mentioned above, an obvious life threatening situation.

The guy went down as part of the play as they were both running forward at full speed.

He could have just fallen. It's all one event really, not a seperate event he subsequently gained an advantage from.

I think it would be different if he were lying there obviously injured and Barret carried the ball from center past him from something that happened earlier as is the case with the Di Canio situation which was the right thing to do.

quote:Originally posted by kcisoul

Vitti rides the bence when Gerba gets here. Gerba will need a hard working striker to get him the ball.

If Cummins is blind, deaf and dumb (I'm not ruling that out), he will put Vitti on the bench when Gerba joins the team.

The fact of the matter is, if the SJ defender's groin doesn't explode, Barrett scores only 1 goal and misses numerous golden opportunities and will be remembered as a guy who continues to miss out on chances to score.

Vitti on the other hand had one of his best games as a member of TFC and appears to finally be fitting in with the team. His passing was excellent, he took his goal wonderfully and he is a hustle player just as much as Barrett...he's just smarter about it (doesn't run around like a headless chicken, unlike the Wayne Rooney lookalike)

Barrett is and always will be mediocre. Vitti is finding his confidence and will start to soar once he hits full speed.

A few random comments.

Sounded like TFC fan group songs were being sung late in the second half on the SJ Earthquakes feed used on mlsnet.com. If so even though the San Francisco area has its attractions for a weekend trip it's still quite impressive, in my opinion. I've long since removed myself from the loop on that stuff as the inter- and intra-group squabbling that sometimes breaks out bores me rigid so no idea who might have organized a trip.

On Wynne on the first goal I have never played at anything like the exalted level of MLS but what was always drummed into me as a kid was that when in doubt as a defender you try to get behind the ball as quickly as possible and then go to the place of most immediate danger, which is pretty much what Wynne did. Think focussing on immediately picking up a man is maybe more of a hockey mentality. Where late runs to the top of the box are concerned I'd like to see what De Rosario, Guevara and Robinson were getting up to in midfield before pointing fingers. They are not supposed to be standing still watching events unfold in these situations after all. They have to take a big share of the responsibility in dealing with the second wave of runs into the box.

I don't think it was anything related to organizing the defence that Cummins was upset about as that would probably be more down to Garcia.

I see people on the RPB board are negative about Wynne's performance as well but I suspect he was doing a lot of running off the ball, which wasn't obvious with narrow camera angles. Hence the positive comments from Cummins. Still would think about trading him, however, as an American team might go a bit overboard where a USMNT player is concerned and I'd sooner see a right back who is more comfortable in possession with the way the team slowly appears to be moving away from the long ball. When playing against a 4-4-2 one of the full backs will often be the player open for the ball when possession changes so having full backs who are less than stellar at working the ball up the field with short passes was probably a key ingredient of the summer slumps of 2007 and 2008.

Surprised anyone would think Vitti would sit after that game and for the first time I can remember Cummins was obviously enthused rather than diplomatic about his performance in his comments after the game. My thoughts afterwards were more along the lines of Cronin possibly living to regret the international call up and a case of too little too late from Barrett. Things fell for him just right on both goals in a way that usually doesn't happen.

With the benefit of hindsight why exactly did John Carver and Mo Johnston prefer keeping Jarrod Smith to Mike Zaher as league minimum filler last season again? Suppose Dunivant being around was a factor but left backs are not easy to find so a few seasons from now that might be seen as a missed opportunity.

quote:Originally posted by speedmonk42

The guy went down as part of the play as they were both running forward at full speed.

Yes and the defender is 5 yards closer to the ball than Barrett and with position on him.

quote:

He could have just fallen. It's all one event really, not a seperate event he subsequently gained an advantage from.

I think it would be different if he were lying there obviously injured and Barret carried the ball from center past him from something that happened earlier as is the case with the Di Canio situation which was the right thing to do.

Agreed, like I said it takes a special man to seize a special moment. Barrett said he knew Pitchkolan was injured.

-------------------------------------------

* hopefully the next version of this editor has a spell checker... I have to be the WORST typer in the world

quote:Originally posted by loyola

I'm pretty sure Tuscan doesn't want to read this but Chad Barrett has been named MLS player of the week for his 2 goals performance against SJ.

I saw that...that says ALOT about the quality of play this week in MLS. Summer Doledrums for sure.

Of course, scoring 2 goals will always get kudos from people, especially those who look only at stats. However, if his performance was the best individual performance in MLS last week, call me lucky to have only watched 1 match because that means the week was plagued by SH-T soccer.

Barrett can't win. If he miss he's at fault because he's being paid to score....if he scores some fans won't give him credit because that's what he's supposed to do....

Barrett has been among TFC best players lately, scoring a few goals and providing a few assists (3 goals, 4 assists since the MTL game). He's a good player and has contributed to TFC succes a lot more than Vitti so far this season (BTW, Vitti had a great game against SJ but will he show consistency?).

quote:Originally posted by Vic

. . .

Agreed, like I said it takes a special man to seize a special moment. Barrett said he knew Pitchkolan was injured.

Barrett didn't say any such thing. His comments were in retrospect during a post-game interview. No need to call his sportsmanship into question, whatever you think of his finishing.

Barrett can't win. If he miss he's at fault because he's being paid to score....if he scores some fans won't give him credit because that's what he's supposed to do....

Barrett has been among TFC best players lately, scoring a few goals and providing a few assists (3 goals, 4 assists since the MTL game). He's a good player and has contributed to TFC succes a lot more than Vitti so far this season (BTW, Vitti had a great game against SJ but will he show consistency?).

I won't lie...I can't stand Barrett. he'll never do well in my eyes.

By the way, that "assist" vs. SJ is a joke. he lofted a 50/50 ball into the 18 yard box that Nana litterly soared to get a head on and then Vitti soared almost as high to put in.

Chad stinks...[:P]

From what I've seen Chad is a much better passer than Vitti.

We disagree. However, I will agree that Vitti needs to show alot more consistency. That has been his problem the past 3 years. Its time for him to get rid of the bad habits that keep him from potentially being one of the best players in MLS. He also needs to accept the limitations of his teammates and adapt his game accordingly.

I'm pretty sure Tuscan doesn't want to read this but Chad Barrett has been named MLS player of the week for his 2 goals performance against SJ.

Haha I am buddies with Tuscan we used to watch TFC games together before i moved back to Regina, I might call him to bug him about this.

I also think that Barrett is a lot better passer then Vitti, a few people on here said he made some good passes to create scoring chances but when he passes the ball going down the field.

VPjr next time I'm in Toronto we need to meet up, the Chad stinks comment earns you a pint :D

Granted the first goal was a good strike, realistically had Pitchkolan not gone down, that second goal never would have happened.

quote:Originally posted by Tuscan

VPjr next time I'm in Toronto we need to meet up, the Chad stinks comment earns you a pint :D

Wow...if that's all it takes to win myself a pint, I'm going to start a Chad Barrett hate-a-thon and collect donations to send Chad to another team. That might convince you to buy me a burger to go with that beer :D

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

I won't lie...I can't stand Barrett. he'll never do well in my eyes.

I appreciate your frankness. Many of us on here have a player (or two, or three...or more;)) we feel the same way about. Mine is Harmse, but I must concede that his last match in a TFC shirt was the best I have ever seen him play.

Archived