July 11th - SJ Earthquakes vs TFC [R]

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Vic

It's so nice to watch a game on a great grass pitch. I'm getting really tired of turf. From a fans perspective games on grass are far more controlled and attractive to watch.

Something to ponder is what the reaction would have been if a TFC defender had injured himself while running along on the turf at BMO Field like Pitchkolan did on Barrett's second goal. A dedicated grass pitch is better no question but people make way too much of this issue sometimes.

quote:Originally posted by BringBackTheBlizzard

Should have done a lot better on the SJ goal as mentioned by Cummins in postgame comments.

Agreed, though Wynne didn't help matters when he decided to become the third defender to battle Johnson instead of remaining at the far post to cover the oncoming Huckerby.

Good point. And another question is whether it's sporting to attack the net or play the ball out.

Very very few forwards would pull up in that situation. The onus is really on the ref in terms of the rules and FIFA actually actively discourages action by players to stop the game. The injury to Pitckolan was painful but not in any way life threatening so there was no way the ref was going to do anything. The kicking the ball out stuff tends to be confined to situations in open play where the ball is well away from the goalmouth when it could be a while before the trainer can come on otherwise and the etiquette is the ball gets passed back afterwards so the flow of the game is not affected. Paulo Di Canio did do something very sporting while playing for West Ham though when he grabbed the ball with his hands rather than try to score (forget the exact details) so it can happen occasionally.

quote:Originally posted by Metro

Agreed, though Wynne didn't help matters when he decided to become the third defender to battle Johnson instead of remaining at the far post to cover the oncoming Huckerby.

Personally, I think Wynne's ridiculous decision to triple team SJ's Johnson thus leaving Huckerby completely wide open is far more eggregious than Nana having some difficulty winning the ball away from a strong forward. Nana could have done better but Johnson wasn't going to score on his own from that spot. Wynne continues to show how little tactical understanding he has for this game.

quote:Originally posted by BringBackTheBlizzard

Very very few forwards would pull up in that situation. The onus is really on the ref in terms of the rules and FIFA actually actively discourages action by players to stop the game. The injury to Pitckolan was painful but not in any way life threatening so there was no way the ref was going to do anything. The kicking the ball out stuff tends to be confined to situations in open play where the ball is well away from the goalmouth when it could be a while before the trainer can come on otherwise and the etiquette is the ball gets passed back afterwards so the flow of the game is not affected. Paulo Di Canio did do something very sporting while playing for West Ham though when he grabbed the ball with his hands rather than try to score (forget the exact details) so it can happen occasionally.

Great analogy.

"In 2001, he won the FIFA Fair Play Award. The previous December, in a match against Everton, in a noteworthy display of sportsmanship, Di Canio shunned a goal scoring opportunity and caught the ball from a cross instead as the Everton goalkeeper Paul Gerrard was lying injured on the ground after he twisted his knee attempting a clearance on the edge of the box. FIFA described the act as "a special act of good sportsmanship."

Di Canio is such a man of contrasts. One minute an inspirational act of the purest sportsmanship, the next tossing fascist salutes. Loved by the Irons though, almost got the post from Zola.

quote:Originally posted by kcisoul

im watching the game on a stream from comcast and the anouncers are so annoying. they are giving 2 assists out lik ein hockey. the mls only gives one assist out right?

they are also repeating what the other guy says its really annoying. i wish i could watch this game on sportsnet but i only hae west

They changed this year and started adding a second assist. But I agree, a second assist is stupid in soccer. I am not crazy about it n hockey either.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

For the record, I don't think yesterday play warranted such an act from Barrett. He still had the keeper to beat.

Still, you hate to see a team win as a result of a score scored under those kind of circumstances. For that reason alone , the third was important for TFC.

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

Personally, I think Wynne's ridiculous decision to triple team SJ's Johnson thus leaving Huckerby completely wide open is far more eggregious than Nana having some difficulty winning the ball away from a strong forward. Nana could have done better but Johnson wasn't going to score on his own from that spot. Wynne continues to show how little tactical understanding he has for this game.

Agreed. The fact that Huckerby was able to get a free shot on goal was entirely on Marvel's shoulders. He mad a very major mistake that could have cost us two points.

Great analogy.

"In 2001, he won the FIFA Fair Play Award. The previous December, in a match against Everton, in a noteworthy display of sportsmanship, Di Canio shunned a goal scoring opportunity and caught the ball from a cross instead as the Everton goalkeeper Paul Gerrard was lying injured on the ground after he twisted his knee attempting a clearance on the edge of the box. FIFA described the act as "a special act of good sportsmanship."

Di Canio is such a man of contrasts. One minute an inspirational act of the purest sportsmanship, the next tossing fascist salutes. Loved by the Irons though, almost got the post from Zola.

Yes, that was very special by Di Canio.

I can certainly understand FIFA's concerns though.

With all the diving, cheating and fakery that is going on out there in this world of "modern football", what is to stop a defender who thinks he is going to be beaten to a ball from feigning a serious injury in the hopes that some sympathetic attacker might forego a scoring opportunity.

I say, for the sake of consistency, leave it to the referee the only exceptions being, as mentioned above, an obvious life threatening situation.

I agree on the referee, but also with players like Di Canio overruling and taking the game into their own hands. In his case the GKs life wasn't threatened, he pulled a ligament similar to the the Earthquake defender who was clearly not feigning injury or seeking to gain an advantage. He was steps ahead of Barrett and in complete control, and Barrett alluded to knowing of his injury in his post-game comments.

There are so few opportunities in the game to demonstrate a higher order, and even fewer men able to seize them. But when they meet it is a moment people rarely forget in their lives.

Yes the defender was step ahead but Barrett was putting a lot of pressure on him and it wasn't clear to me the defender was going to get the ball despite being ahead. I think Barrett was right to continue specially since he wasn't going to score in an empty net. I think that would've been excessive fair play by Barrett and the situation is different than Di Canio who was going to score in an empty net.

Anyways, good win by TFC and glad Barrett got 2 goals out of it.

quote:Originally posted by Tuscan

While the win is fantastic (and deserved), I don't enjoy the fact that Barrett got the goals. I won't deny being biased against him, and I'd prefer to see him on the bench once Ali arrives.

In term of scoring ability there's a whole world separating Barrett and Gerba. But in term of contributing to the game (passing, defending, positioning) I think Barrett is better than Gerba.

So, if Barrett scores a few more goals until Ali joins the club I think Cummins will have trouble putting Barrett on the bench. That being said Cummins can also move Barrett on the side and have Vittion the bench to make room for Gerba.

Agreed. I was surprised to hear Cummins saying he had a go at Nana for his effort on the play. If he did, I hope that he shouted himself hoarse at the real culprit on the goal, Marvel Wynne, who is in his fourth season as a starter and doesn't have inexperience as an excuse the way Nana might in his first. Cummins mentions that he expects more from Nana - fair enough, but why not expect this from the other defenders, all of whom made much bigger gaffes in the game (and in the first half) than Nana did.

^ totally agree G-L. Cummins' comment about Nana makes me wonder if he can't tell one from the other because I thought Nana was doing an adequate job trying to contain his mark.

Makes you question Cummins' logic and astuteness (is that a word?)

^ totally agree G-L. Cummins' comment about Nana makes me wonder if he can't tell one from the other because I thought Nana was doing an adequate job trying to contain his mark.

Makes you question Cummins' logic and astuteness (is that a word?)

Maybe Cummins figures that the other 3 are vets and what you see is what you get whereas Nana still has an upside and the possibility of improvement if pushed.

Containing the player was not enough in that situation. The last thing you want is the player turning inside to the top of the six yard box where he can potentially get a low and hard shot away to the far post. Attakora was very hesitant and should have been trying harder to clear the immediate danger by getting a tackle in. Maybe he has the Andy Boyens failing of being reluctant to leave his feet for fear of giving away a penalty. He's doing quite well at the moment but Cummins took the right approach by pointing out that he still needs to do a bit more to really establish himself as a starter in MLS terms. He'll wind up a better player if he is pushed to be all he can be at this stage in his career rather than having people around him acting like sycophants by telling him that he is already the finished article.

On Wynne, I can definitely see where people are coming from but I would like to see the action from behind the goal before stating categorically that Huckerby should have been his man. Can remember a goal last season away to the New England Revolution (the one Brian Edwards was heavily criticized for) where watching that carefully made it obvious that Laurent Robert was the culprit in terms of leaving the player who scored wide open, something that you could not tell from the other camera angles.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

They changed this year and started adding a second assist. But I agree, a second assist is stupid in soccer. I am not crazy about it n hockey either.

Actually, MLS has had the second assist for as long as I can remember. They just don't hand them out very often.

quote:Originally posted by Metro

Actually thought Wynne reacted quickly & properly, if not entirely effectively, on the play. Nana was in a tough way, got rolled by the attacking player and was left with Garcia looking at tail-lights as the attacker turned across the face of goal.

If the containing (or free) defender at that point doesn't abandon his mark to take shooter then I don't know. What else is suppose to do? Contain the pass option while watching Johnson power a left footer in from 5 yards?

In fairness to Nana I think he was overcautious with his mark in the area, and he got rolled deep in the box way too easy but to my mind if he got a tongue lashing it would have had to be for keeping the line too square and not anticipating the threat of that break through run early enough.

And so he got ripped by the coach. Big deal. Grow stronger. If he keeps the season going the way he has so far he won't be dealing with MLS coaches for very much longer. (Did I just jinx him?)

Archived