ESPN & TSN lose Champions League

red card

I have heard ESPN Latin America had lost the CL rights to Fox a few weeks ago, but it appears it lost North America rights also.

Star media guy speculates Setanta/Sportsnet will have rights - though, wouldn't Fox Sports Canada have first dibs or maybe they just don't have the money to spend?

http://thestar.blogs.com/sportsmedia/2009/04/champions-league-gets-boot-from-tsn.html

So, there goes any reason for footy fans to get upset about not receiving TSN2. Paul James has also been pushed out from GOLtv

As it stands now, TSN has their pick of the best games. I don't really want another situation like we have with the premiership where Sportsnet just gets to show the crap game that Setanta can do without.

I'm really surprised at ESPN. Only a few months ago they were making noise of moving into the UK market for premiership rights. Now they're out of the Champions League altogether.

quote:Originally posted by Portuguese Sensation

Here's the thing I don't understand... if the Fox Soccer Channel got the rights to Champions League - then it would make sense that Fox Sports World Canada would get the games since they're sister stations. It just doesn't make sense to me...

Different rights for different countries. For instance ESPN will still show CL in Australia and they may still get Premiership rights in England. But its clear they have giving-up on soccer in the USA & Canada. They're also trying to get out of their MLS contract as quickly as possible (they currently show an MLS match every Thursday night in HD).

quote:Originally posted by CanadianSoccerFan

I'll temper my excitement until I know whether Sportsnet will actually be getting the best games or they'll be picking up the rubbish Setanta doesn't want like we see every saturday.

Well what do you consider the 'best' games? In my opinion, getting Man U and Liverpool on TSN all the time are not the 'best' games especially when they are playing crappy opposition.

People were complaining when Setanta got their hands on the EPL. I think that was not justified. They have been the best thing that has ever happened for soccer fans in this country.

If we, as soocer supporters, are not willing to subscribe to Setanta, we deserve the 'rubbish' that we get.

quote:If we, as soocer supporters, are not willing to subscribe to Setanta, we deserve the 'rubbish' that we get.

setanta is quality - rather have option to pay for it than not have the matches shown.

additional news from the Star:

Soccer fans should get better coverage from Sportsnet, mainly because it’s more likely to put tape-delayed games in prime time. (Hey, it’s a lot easier to pre-empt poker than basketball.) It most likely will offer more games, too.

Sportsnet will air more than half the 146 games, which is good news for those not willing to pay the $14.99 a month for Setanta.

http://thestar.blogs.com/sportsmedia/

quote:Originally posted by masster

Well what do you consider the 'best' games? In my opinion, getting Man U and Liverpool on TSN all the time are not the 'best' games especially when they are playing crappy opposition.

People were complaining when Setanta got their hands on the EPL. I think that was not justified. They have been the best thing that has ever happened for soccer fans in this country.

If we, as soocer supporters, are not willing to subscribe to Setanta, we deserve the 'rubbish' that we get.

I don't necessarily want to see Man Ure. I just don't want to see Rosenborg vs Steaua Bucharest or some crap like that. Sportsnet's game of the week is almost always a relegation hack versus a mid-table "going nowhere" club.

Mixed feelings here. I liked the work that ESPN did with the Champions league and I am not sure that Fox has have the reach and exposure of ESPN. So it doesn't sound like good news for US soccer fans.

But I think that this is good news for Canada. TSN never replayed the CL in Prime time, preferring (on occasion) junk programming. The games were replayed in the times when the infomercials despite the fact that CL following in Canada is very strong.

Furthermore, beyond the broadcasts, TSN devoted nothing (in terms of resources) to the game. Boxing, for example, has regular show on TSN with a domestic panel that deliver content that mixes the bigger picture and the Canadian angle. Many other sports ( on TSN )such as golf have similar shows or features that bring a Canadian perspective to things. Their webiste was no different, its full of stories written by someone else outside Canada that you could pickup from a gazillion other sources.

TSN seemed content to just milk the CL and WC coverage. There is an interesting Champions league show from ESPN that they carry but most would not know about it since its aired at the wee hours of the morning. Until this year there was barely any coverage or mention of MLS soccer.

I'm still amazed that TSN shows the Champions League games on their HD channels in lame 4x3 format. Anyone in the TV community know why they still do this? I'm sure these games are originally broadcast in full HD. It's so disappointing to have to watch these matches looking like they're from 10 years ago.

quote:Originally posted by Loud Mouth Soup

For the love of all that is holy, please let this be true.

Is this the end for Tommy Smyth, possibly the most hated football commentator in history?

That's being a bit harsh! He's not that bad. WE might be relishing the days we got to listen to Tommy after Fox takes over the CL. There's a lot of armchair fans who never kicked a soccer ball in their life working for that channel.

I'll take Tommy Smyth over Max Bretos any day.

And Max is the best FOX has at the moment (apart from maybe Bobby McMahon).

Maybe next season we'll get to hear the UEFA commentators for the matches, which will be okay by me. But I will miss the CL highlights and analysis shows that ESPN does with Shaka Hislop, Janusz Michallik and Derek Rae. They are a quality team. Any of these guys could apply for jobs at the BBC or Setanta and get hired tomorrow. lol @ the thought of Max Bretos or Jeremy St. Louis working at the BBC. [:o)]

I'll take Tommy Smyth over Max Bretos any day.

Really?

Max is Max, but Smyth is something else.

It is a bit of a toss up between the two though isn't it? Lose-lose. It's like the doctor giving you the bad news that you've contracted gangrene in your head but the good news is if they amputate your body it shouldn't spread.

I mean come on, what sort of choice is that?

Archived