Keegan Ayre and Marcus Haber on trial with Caps

Soro17

quote:Originally posted by Soro17

Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere, but according to this story in the Province today, Ayre and Haber are on trial with the Caps.

http://www.canada.com/theprovince/news/sports/story.html?id=442f05bd-711f-4a73-ba12-b315ba56fda1

I don't know whether this is a positive move for both players, but it is a positive move for the Caps to be stocking up on young Canadians, given that a lot of their veteran Canadian talent is getting a little long in the tooth.

On the Caps site it also says that former youth National Team players Jacob Lensky and Michael Nonni are also participating in training camp. I think this is great news, especially about Lensky. We have never heard the whole story, but it would have been a shame for him to give up on pro soccer.

its funny, but i was wondering just this weekend if ayre, lensky, and haber would end up with the caps. I think its good news. Its especially good news for the players and the caps if Vancouver is awarded an MLS side in 2011. This gives these 3 (plus those from the residency) to get 2 years developing in USL-1 to get ready for the MLS.

considering the house cleaning the caps have done with the veterans this year and bringing in these young kids, you would think that they are preparing themselves for entry in the MLS in 2011.

quote:Originally posted by An Observer

there is a recent interview in dutch with Lensky. It seems he left Feyenoord as he had difficulty settling in there on the personal side, and had issues with the new management team

http://www.v-bal.nl/columns/view/115

Really? so might we see him re-start his career somewhere else?

I was under the assumption there was something health related holding him back or he had just lost his desire to play.

quote:Originally posted by ag futbol

Really? so might we see him re-start his career somewhere else?

I was under the assumption there was something health related holding him back or he had just lost his desire to play.

That was all speculation. Nobody really knows. My guess was the desire to play line as well. I think coming home was probably the best thing for him. If he can stay at home and work his way back into football with the Caps, I think that would be the best thing for him.

I took in some of Caps training camp today and I posted my thoughts here:

http://forum.vancouversouthsiders.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=2658

Specifically, here were my thoughts on the young Canadians:

"I spent most of my time watching the Canadian trialists. I don't want to judge anybody on an hour of early season scrimmage but here are some of my thought anyways.

Ayre - I don't know if he is physical/tough enough to play CM. He seems to shy away too much. I had the same opinion of him when I watched him with the U20s and U23s.

Haber - He was kind of invisible, which is hard for somebody his size. With Edwini-Bonsu and Orgill most likely on the roster, I don't think we need anymore young strikers. I thought he had promise as a CB, but that doesn't look like the position he wants to play.

Lensky - You could tell why he was in the youth system for teams like Celtic and Feyenoord. He did some nice things but then he did some really poor things as well. Maybe that was just rust because I assume he hasn't been in high level action for a while. I think he has the best shot of cracking the line up. I don't know where he would play though. If I recall, he is on outside mid player. Teitur seems to like speed in those positions and I don't think Lensky is the fastest guy. I guess he would have his work cut out for him in order to surpass Moose, Toure, Arze or Martin.

Nonni - I thought he did not look out of place. He was always on the fringes of the national team program so he is the only one I never really had an opinion of going into today. I would have to see more."

Also of note to National Team Fans, U20 players Philippe Davies, Randy Edwini-Bonsu, Ethan Gage and Alex Semenets are all participating in the full camp with the first team as well.

Thanks for the translation and the on-site reporting.

Very nice to see JL back at it. I don't know what happened (burnout, homesick, loneliness, injuries or any combo thereof) but there's nothing like mom's cooking and being back in familiar surroundings with friends and family to give you a nice boost.

I hope he sticks with the sport and team.

Archived