Brandon Bonifacio moves on loan to FC Zwolle.

SCF08

quote:Originally posted by lowlander

How is Zwolle doing in the league?

Zwolle are just 3 places below Cambuur in 6th place. They are on course to reach to Promotion Play-Offs.

Bonifacio has only made 1 or 2 appearances so far I believe. Cambuur have signed many excellent players last summer so that's why he lost his spot. He's still a young lad though at 19

20090115133412-Cambuur_Leeuwarden_Brandon_Bonifacio_15_7_08.jpg

quote:Originally posted by marcl_19

Still lots of room for improvement and understandable if he's not getting tons of playing time. Defintily a positive though, this loan move. Who's seen him play? what sort of potential does this kid have with our nats?

He'll certainly be a decent squad player to have on the bench.

It all depends on the next 2 years of his career if he can be more than that. He really needs the experience of playing to improve himself. If he can play regularly at Zwolle and maybe earn a transfer to them if would be great for the lad.

I think his Cambuur days are over with all the ambition Cambuur have shown in recent times.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, in response to the questionable comments by canucklefan who may not have all the facts I would suggest the following comments for thier collective consideration:

--how many Canadian players have played professional football first team minutes at the age of 17?

--how many Canadian players have actually signed a pro contract and have played 15 first team GAMES by the age of 18

--do you know that the second division of Holland which is a superior football country to develope football talent has had several players start thier career there.

-- all if not all 18 or 19 year olds in Europe play on second/reserve teams and dont get sniff on a first team let alone any minutes or games.

Question: who played at Zwoole and Cambuur and went on to EPL, Serie A etc.

Point: the list goes on with great or good players who started in Holland and in the Jupiler league no less. Also sure looks like both SC Cambuur and FC Zwolle have a good chance of moving up to Premier next year.

SO FOR a Canadian kid to accomplish this by 19 is remarkable and should not be understated by uninformed posters......PROBLEM?

ya you may want to take your entire name off your profile...

but i have to say, i saw brandon play here in toronto and i was very impressed he has great vision and shows very developed "european-like" control (much better technically than most canadians) and he is a great kid too!.

i spoke to him and some of the others outside bmo field and they al talked to my kids, signed autographs and posed for a great team picture.

class act! he will be making headlines in holland and bigger ones in canada!

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

I think we have a relative in the house. [:P]

Though I agree completely. Get off his tits! He has as much or more experience at a decent level than the rest of our U20s.

+1

I give full approval to what he's doing in comparison to some people who entrust their careers to more well known clubs that have nothing short of terrible records in talent development.

He'll be a better technical player for taking the path he is. And for F'sakes he's playing at a better level than the majority of our player pool at his age level. If he "lacks motivation" well that's a sad statement on the entire pool or a pretty strong indicator of his talent.

quote:Originally posted by sc101

Ok, in response to the questionable comments by canucklefan who may not have all the facts I would suggest the following comments for thier collective consideration:

--how many Canadian players have played professional football first team minutes at the age of 17?

--how many Canadian players have actually signed a pro contract and have played 15 first team GAMES by the age of 18

--do you know that the second division of Holland which is a superior football country to develope football talent has had several players start thier career there.

-- all if not all 18 or 19 year olds in Europe play on second/reserve teams and dont get sniff on a first team let alone any minutes or games.

Point: the list goes on with great or good players who started in Holland and in the Jupiler league no less. Also sure looks like both SC Cambuur and FC Zwolle have a good chance of moving up to Premier next year.

SO FOR a Canadian kid to accomplish this by 19 is remarkable and should not be understated by uninformed posters......PROBLEM?

You are getting this personal, I was just saying that he lacks some motivation if he just played 1 game this season, and second, it's pretty cool all those facts you said about Bonifacio but the past is the past, and the present is now. I know by EXPERIENCE that if you are 20 and you don't play for the first team, then your career will finish sooner than you think.

And by the way, don't get me wrong because I wish the best for him, same as everybody else here.

Marcel De Jong also started his career in the Eerste Divisie as a teenager...aslong as the kid continues to improve and gets some more PT he should end up in the Eredivisie sooner or later. Now, if he's still toiling in the 2nd division in 3 or 4 years then i'd start to worry.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by sc101

I think that your arguments are great, your thinking is entirely reasonable, and that most people on this board know you are right. The kid is doing great and is in a great position to keep growing as player, and we should be proud of him.

Thanks for the input and give him our regards.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

I think that your arguments are great, your thinking is entirely reasonable, and that most people on this board know you are right. The kid is doing great and is in a great position to keep growing as player, and we should be proud of him.

Thanks for the input and give him our regards.

Maybe you don't understand what I mean. What Bonifacio does right now is good but I believe he could achieve better and I want to him to do better and with good reason if he signed a pro contract and have played 15 first team games by the age of 18 (BTW I don't agree with those who think that Edgar shold play in CCC).

The US has players at Everton, Aston Villa, Hannover, San Luis, Pachuca, Rangers, Monaca, Bayern Munich, to name a few. Honduras has players at Wigan, Totteinham, Benfica, Anderletch, Puebla. Jamaica has players at Marseille, Middlesbrough, Stoke City, Hull City, Bolton (currently they have more players than us in the EPL). When you take a look at our CONCACAF oponents, we don't have the choice, we must do better.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by canucklefan

Maybe you don't understand what I mean. What Bonifacio does right now is good but I believe he could achieve better and I want to him to do better and with good reason if he signed a pro contract and have played 15 first team games by the age of 18 (BTW I don't agree with those who think that Edgar shold play in CCC).

The US has players at Everton, Aston Villa, Hannover, San Luis, Pachuca, Rangers, Monaca, Bayern Munich, to name a few. Honduras has players at Wigan, Totteinham, Benfica, Anderletch, Puebla. Jamaica has players at Marseille, Middlesbrough, Stoke City, Hull City, Bolton (currently they have more players than us in the EPL). When you take a look at our CONCACAF oponents, we don't have the choice, we must do better.

I think you need to start another thread and stop making irrelevant generalizations about young players and first team play, which happen to be dead wrong and bring your supposed "experience" into question.

Anyways, what the hell does all the crap about US players here or there have to do with Brandon moving to Zwolle?

Brandon Bonifacio has scored his first ever league goal in Holland yesterday. He has just signed on loan at FC Zwolle and came on the 60th minute for them. In the 83rd minute he scored the only goal for Zwolle in a 1-2 loss against first division league leaders VVV Venlo.

He made his debut 1 1/2 weeks ago and also played 30 mins in that game.

I'm not sure if the video below works outside of Holland but here are the highlights and goal of the Zwolle - VVV game.

http://www.jupilerleague.nl/video/4879.php

This is the league standing at the moment.

1 VVV-Venlo 25 games 57 points

2 RKC Waalwijk 25 games 44 points

3 Excelsior 25 games 42 points

4 SC Cambuur-Leeuwarden 24 games 41 points

5 MVV 25 games 38 points

6 FC Zwolle 24 games 37 points

7 Haarlem 24 games 36 points

8 Helmond Sport 25 games 36 points

9 Go Ahead Eagles 25 games 36 points

10 FC Den Bosch 25 games 35 points

2006/07 Cambuur Leeuwarden 1 0 Eerste divisie

2007/08 SC Cambuur-Leeuwarden 11 0 Eerste divisie

2008/09 SC Cambuur-Leeuwarden 1 0 Eerste divisie

2008/09 FC Zwolle 2 1 Eerste divisie

Total: 15 1

quote:Originally posted by canucklefan

See tne problem there is that half the teams you're naming don't develop anything, they just take the finished product. So unfortunately, for some of the youth players we have in these systems they are pretty much an after thought when the club takes their transfer money and buys what it needs as opposed to developing from within.

For example, your clearly referencing Ricardo Fuller for Jamaica. At Brandon's age he was playing practically zero games for Crystal Palace, and after he played for some team in Jamaica. He went through a **** load of club teams before he ended up at Stoke in 2006.

I wish we had a nice list of players who developed at Bolton or Wigan who actually went through their system and ended up in top flight. But reality is the majority of these guys start somewhere else that specializes in developing talent (like where he is right now) then makes a jump to a club that plays at a high level if everything goes according to plan.

Archived