Brandon Bonifacio moves on loan to FC Zwolle.

SCF08

• 1 month later...

I wonder how serious Bonifacio is about playing in Europe. He has just agreed a loan move to Zwolle for 5 months and then he goes away for a month to play some meaningless games with Canada U20.

Zwolle are is need for players (reason why they took him) , are paying his wages and he just bails out. Zwolle have had only 4/5 subs on the bench for the last few games and this was a golden chance for Bonifacio to get 90mins after 90mins and prove his worth.

It doesnt look good for him. It will probably take him another week to get back and adapt and then there are just not many games left. Cambuur Leeuwarden are definately not having him back because of the quality of players they have in midfield now so where will he end up next ??

2nd division in Belgium or back to North America ?

quote:Originally posted by rdroze

Meaningless? Are you serious? I realize Europe tends to hold the U20 World Cup in low regard, but those were hardly meaningless games!

U20 World Cup and European Cup are big events in Europe but the games that he has just played were not exactly U20 WC were they [B)]

The WC and EC are even scheduled during the summer so that every player can participate without missing club games.

This Concacaf tournament is rubbish considering the situation Bonifacio is in. It he was warming the bench at Cambuur I could understand him playing there but this was imo the worst thing that he could have done at this moment of his career.

if canada had of won, this would've looked like a brilliant move. he's a good player. it's not his problem that zwolle is having issues. and i am 100% behind him. i'm sad that we don't have more players like him that put their country before their club.

well done brandon!

quote:Originally posted by hodgkiss

if canada had of won, this would've looked like a brilliant move. he's a good player. it's not his problem that zwolle is having issues. and i am 100% behind him. i'm sad that we don't have more players like him that put their country before their club.

well done brandon!

Playing for your country in games like this are not making him a better player or realising his full potential (which is in the end is much more important for Canada than playing these meaningless games).

Brandon needed to put his club career first because it's 23:57 right now in his European career. This was his golden chance to get more first-team experience with Zwolle and get himself some attention from other clubs. Bonifacio would have been a guaranteed starter in recent weeks.

No club will be keen on taking him right now. The Canada youth play so many games and have so many camps it's quite unbelievable. Every club will be missing him for at least 10 games a season. He has missed 5 games already in his 2 months at Zwolle and is very likely to miss the next one as well.

It doesnt matter if Canada would have won or lost every game. These are meaningless game for a player in Europe who can smell first team action.

I can just see Brandon going back to some crappy USL club wasting his days as a player because of the choices he has made thinking what could have been.

EDIT :

Playing at a WC U20 is important. Playing Concacaf tournament to get there during the league season is not important.

Clubs pay his wages , develop his skills and teach him everything. Playing meaningless game for your country like this are harming everything that is important in the long term.

Especially in the Bonifacio sitation where you are playing on loan for half-a-season.

I cannot understand people thinking playing these games was smart.

quote:Originally posted by SCF08

I can just see Brandon going back to some crappy USL club wasting his days as a player because of the choices he has made thinking what could have been.

You won't find a much bigger supporter of Dutch football on these forums than me, but this remark is off base.

At his age, Bonifacio wouldn't be that much worse off as a USL-1 starter for a good team (say, Vancouver) than being a borderline player for a bad 2nd tier Dutch team.

The same way that it wasn't that much of a step down for Will Johnson moving from a bad Eredivisie side to a decent MLS one.

i think the main point is that, the way things turned out, leaving his on loan club will likely turn out to be a bad club career move for him. we can sugar coat it all we want to but we know very well he will face negative consequences.

these guys sacrifice so much to play for us. hope things turn out ok for him.

quote:Originally posted by jonovision

You won't find a much bigger supporter of Dutch football on these forums than me, but this remark is off base.

At his age, Bonifacio wouldn't be that much worse off as a USL-1 starter for a good team (say, Vancouver) than being a borderline player for a bad 2nd tier Dutch team.

The same way that it wasn't that much of a step down for Will Johnson moving from a bad Eredivisie side to a decent MLS one.

FC Zwolle were in the Eredivisie a few years back and are in the promotion play-offs already.

Cambuur are 3rd (Owners of Bonifacio)

Zwolle are 6th (Loan team of Brandon) (Have reached play-offs thanks to winning a period standings in the season)

He would have been a starter for Zwolle last 5 games with every chance of promotion.

And he throws it all away..[B)] He could have earned himself a great contract there. Zwolle has just build a new stadium and are building a new team with a lot of youth. It's ridiculous

quote:Originally posted by SCF08

FC Zwolle were in the Eredivisie a few years back and are in the promotion play-offs already.

Cambuur are 3rd (Owners of Bonifacio)

Zwolle are 6th (Loan team of Brandon) (Have reached play-offs thanks to winning a period standings in the season)

He would have been a starter for Zwolle last 5 games with every chance of promotion.

And he throws it all away..[B)] He could have earned himself a great contract there. Zwolle has just build a new stadium and are building a new team with a lot of youth. It's ridiculous

Do you have any informations about Zwolle being upset by Bradon decision? Or you are assuming everything you just said?

quote:Originally posted by jonovision

If his entire career is in jeopardy because of an absence of a few weeks, then was never a good enough player to be excited about anyway.

If he is talented enough, he'll have a job somewhere.

How is he going to prove and market himself to other clubs then ? There will surely not be any Euro club scouts available at these U20 Concacaf games.

Cambuur have signed good experienced players so they will not take him back and play him and there are only a few games left in the season.

Brandon has missed 5 games and it will surprise me if he is available for next Friday. These were crucial for him.

And it's not about him being a good or poor player. Other clubs will rather take someone who commits to the club and will not leave the club at any chances to play far far away in another Continent. Especially in meaningless games.

NT game with the first team or summer tournaments are alright but leaving in the critical stage of the season for a full month missing 6 games (with 13 games to go) is crazy beyond words. When he gets back there are only 7 games left.

^The games aren't meaningless for us. I know one of Brandon's relatives posts/lurks here so I hope he knows that we all support his choices and are thankful for the sacrifice at any level, be it U-17, U-20, and senior.

I'm of the opinion that we don't need Europe anymore -and certainly not second division leagues in second rate countries. In fact, Europe has done us harm repeatedly. Your own club brainwashed DeGuzman and stole him from us. One day he will cry himself to sleep knowing that the turned his back on his brother and his countrymen for a nation that will use him and throw him away. With Whitecaps, TFC, and Montreal playing at the top level here, fewer of our boys will need to be subjected to this senseless prejudice many Euro clubs exude.

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

^The games aren't meaningless for us. I know one of Brandon's relatives posts/lurks here so I hope he knows that we all support his choices and are thankful for the sacrifice at any level, be it U-17, U-20, and senior.

I'm of the opinion that we don't need Europe anymore -and certainly not second division leagues in second rate countries. In fact, Europe has done us harm repeatedly. Your own club brainwashed DeGuzman and stole him from us. One day he will cry himself to sleep knowing that the turned his back on his brother and his countrymen for a nation that will use him and throw him away. With Whitecaps, TFC, and Montreal playing at the top level here, fewer of our boys will need to be subjected to this senseless prejudice many Euro clubs exude.

[:o)]

Archived