Canadian Fotball Managers....soccer managers

canadianfoot

Funny that of the Canadians, Busby, Miller and Yallop are the only ones to have any kind of coaching experience abroad. Given that we have only 3 fully professional clubs in the country, this is a disturbing trend. I was reading on the TFC academy site that Dasovic has all his UEFA licenses. He has a lot of talent and ambition, I hope he doesn't get complacent and gives it a go abroad at some point. Other than him, Peschisolido may be the only other candidate based on his family situation.

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

I was reading on the TFC academy site that Dasovic has all his UEFA licenses. He has a lot of talent and ambition, I hope he doesn't get complacent and gives it a go abroad at some point.

I wonder if he can use his connections for Scotland? (St. Johnstone, Miller). At least it's a start.

Rafael Carbajal of North York Astros has head coaching experience in Serie D in Italy and has all his UEFA certifications. He is an outstanding coach and loved by his players.

I will admit a bias as I consider Rafa a friend but I find it astonishing that he is not working for a pro team or the CSA.

Originally posted by orletafc

Someone probably ran into this on WIKI it might also be incomplete:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Canadian_soccer_coaches

This is one of the most ridiculous and inaccurate lists I've ever seen. Tony Di Thomasis is a coach? he was born in 1978? what is that a joke? he is in his fifties...

I didn't know Holger Osieck was a Canadian coach!! and where did Busby, Miller and Yallop coach outside north america? as far as I see Busby and Yallop only coached in Canada and USA and Miller is an Assistant coach in England NOT a head coach but an assistant.

Where is Armando Coasta in this list? an excellent coach that coached overseas for real, not overseas in the states, I know for a fact he has all the UEFA certifications and the same applies for Rafael Carbajal who also has a US A License. These coaches are probably two of the most experienced Canadian coaches we have right now and they're not in that list (Holger Osieck is german in case no body knowticed) so please somebody put together an accurate list of Canadian coaches so once and for all we can see what we have to choose from, in case any of us has a say in a pro club looking for experience coaches.

One more I don't see in this list is our recently hired U-20 coach Tony Fonseca.

I though VPjr was going to put together a list of the best pro coaches we have in the country, sorry VPjr I'm just reminding you, no obligations here ;)

No wonder the CSA has problems finding good coaches in Canada, they're probably using this list.

quote:Originally posted by Eric

This is one of the most ridiculous and inaccurate lists I've ever seen. Tony Di Thomasis is a coach? he was born in 1978? what is that a joke? he is in his fifties...

I didn't know Holger Osieck was a Canadian coach!! and where did Busby, Miller and Yallop coach outside north america? as far as I see Busby and Yallop only coached in Canada and USA and Miller is an Assistant coach in England NOT a head coach but an assistant.

Where is Armando Coasta in this list? an excellent coach that coached overseas for real, not overseas in the states, I know for a fact he has all the UEFA certifications and the same applies for Rafael Carbajal who also has a US A License.

One more I don't see in this list is our recently hired U-20 coach Tony Fonseca.

It's probably a work in progress - why not edit the article and include the new info? Your knowledge would be a great help.

quote:Originally posted by Eric

and where did Busby, Miller and Yallop coach outside north america? as far as I see Busby and Yallop only coached in Canada and USA and Miller is an Assistant coach in England NOT a head coach but an assistant.

I agree with the rest of your post, but "abroad" does included the US by most standards. Miller was the player/manager of Hamilton Academical in Scotland as well as his brief term at Derby. Busby managed with a Kenyan club according to wiki.

3 more CANADIAN born coaches to add to the list

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Canadian_soccer_coaches

John Kerr, Jr. (born March 6, 1965 in Toronto, Ontario) is an American retired soccer midfielder who played professionally in the United States, Canada, England and Ireland. He was named the 1986 Hermann Award winner as the top collegiate player of the year. He also earned sixteen caps, scoring two goals, with the U.S. national team. Currently the Men's Head soccer coach at Duke University.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Kerr_(soccer)

James Michael "Jimmy" Nicholl (born 28 December 1956 in Hamilton, Ontario) is a Canadian-born Northern Irish former footballer and, later, a manager

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Nicholl

Johannes Nicolaas ("John") van 't Schip (born December 30, 1963 in Fort St. John, British Columbia, Canada) is a former Dutch international footballer. He was raised in Powell River, British Columbia, Canada, where he grew up playing youth soccer in the small community before his family moved back to the Netherlands in 1972.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_van_%27t_Schip

I'm not wiki savy - sorry, I've tried and failed.

I agree with the rest of your post, but "abroad" does included the US by most standards. Miller was the player/manager of Hamilton Academical in Scotland as well as his brief term at Derby. Busby managed with a Kenyan club according to wiki.

I don't think the US and Canada can be consider two different countries when it comes down to coaching, the schooling is the same, they interchange constantely and soccer in the states is not the real thing. I'm sorry guys but IMHO coaching in north america is a far cry from the world of pro football. Yes I know it's all we have and it's better than nothing, but if a coach says to me that he has international experience because he coahed in the US, I laugh in his face.

• 2 months later...

Just saw this on the FIFA site.

"Dutch champions PSV Eindhoven have appointed their Canadian-born assistant manager Dwight Lodeweges as caretaker coach to fill the void left by Huub Stevens."

http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/clubfootball/news/newsid=1008723.html#psv+name+lodeweges+caretaker+boss

While I am pretty sure he is only really Canadian by birth, he still technically counts as a Canadian coaching abroad.

EDIT: Just found his wiki page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dwight_Lodeweges

Dwight seems to have more of a Canadian conncetion than I originally thought. He isn't listed on the Canadian managers abroad wiki page, so if anyone fancies adding him to it, go for it. I would but I have no idea how to do so.

Krautzen spent a lot of time in Canada. How do you know he's not a citizen?

I don't, he might be a citizen afterall. I just figured looking at his CV in wiki that he hasn't coached here in 30 years so how Canadian can he be? Maybe i'm wrong about him though...

Well, he never stays in one place very long. Other than Germany, his longest stay would be Canada. And he did a lot for Canadian Football, so I don't mind him being associated with the game here. I would think he would be a good candidate for us now, given his age. However, I understand he was very jaded on the Association even back in the day. You can't argue with the two German Cup finals and he also did some work at Hoffenheim immediately prior to their meteoric rise up the pyramid.

Archived