I agree with Forrest

Natesta

Yes I fell that Mitchell should never have been hired in the first place. But come on, the players performances these last 4 games has been absolutely aweful for the most part. And before they should be pointing fingers at anyone else, they need to look themselves in the mirror.

This is a failure of the CSA, a failure of the coaching staff, and yes an absolute failure of the players.

If they were playing their bags off and looking like they cared yet could not succeed because of the system.. that's one thing.

But they flat out look like they didn't care. And that's inexcusable.

There is one exception to this... Radz, he had a ton of heart, and put in a full effort every time he was out there. Maybe Hume too?

but I am having trouble thinking of anyone else who really stood out in their effort.

So sack the CSA, Sack Mitchell, and Sack the 3/4 of the team who look like they could give two ****s what happens.

The trouble with saying "it's the players more than Mitchell" is that it's so easy to point to specific mistakes that Mitchell made - mistakes a better coach wouldn't have.

Did he make a single effective substitution in the entire tournament? Bringing out Bernier tonight, for example, was madness considering how Bernier was playing, and using both strikers at the half was highly questionable. The Kevin Harmse debacle, the formation, the fact that none of his players seem to want to play for him...

I didn't say it was the players more than Mitchell, he absolutely made some terrible choices and should be fired.

BUT we can't give the players a free pass on this, specifically the ones who didn't show up once they put on that maple leaf and took the pitch. They do share some of the responsibility for our aweful failure.

quote:Originally posted by Lord Bob

The trouble with saying "it's the players more than Mitchell" is that it's so easy to point to specific mistakes that Mitchell made - mistakes a better coach wouldn't have.

Did he make a single effective substitution in the entire tournament? Bringing out Bernier tonight, for example, was madness considering how Bernier was playing, and using both strikers at the half was highly questionable. The Kevin Harmse debacle, the formation, the fact that none of his players seem to want to play for him...

Our goal against Mexico was scored by a sub on a FK taken by a sub.

quote:Originally posted by CanadianSoccerFan

I also agree with Forrest. Yes, Mitchell is garbage and should never have got the job. I'm just not buying this idea that the players deserve zero blame. DeRo is right in his criticism but I think he should also step up and admit he hasn't played to his potential in the first three games.

I think you will find most (not all) agree with you.

I prefer to place the majority of blame at the feet of the CSA (for hiring Mitchell) and Mitchell himself (for being a piss poor coach and for having a personality that makes Stephen Harper seem like a great guy to party with).

However, to not assign some blame to the players would be foolish. Many of the players played poorly in these 4 games. Why they underperformed, who knows? I'm not a shrink. It's simply a fact that many did underperform.

Now we've got 4 more years of thumb twiddling before we get anymore meaningful games to worry about.

It is time to look forward. It was fitting that Stalteri got schooled on the final goal. That summed up our WCQ campaign. Our defense was woeful. I thank Mitchell, Stalteri, Radz, Onstad, and Hastings for their tireless service.

The gap between us and the other CONCACAF teams is not that great. We can beat them in four years time.

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

I think you will find most (not all) agree with you.

I prefer to place the majority of blame at the feet of the CSA (for hiring Mitchell) and Mitchell himself (for being a piss poor coach and for having a personality that makes Stephen Harper seem like a great guy to party with).

However, to not assign some blame to the players would be foolish. Many of the players played poorly in these 4 games. Why they underperformed, who knows? I'm not a shrink. It's simply a fact that many did underperform.

We scored four goals so far in WCQ. Three came from balls in the air as a result of set pieces and only one was scored by a fwd. Only one goal was scored as a result of an actual build up of passes ( ie.: DeGuzman's goal against Jamaica). These characteristics are consistent with what we have been seeing in Canadian soccer for well over twenty years. Inability to control the ball properly, execute proper passes, and creatively construct offensive chances. The difference this time was that defending was crappier than usual.

The goals that we scored in 2004, that I can remember, were very similar. eg.: devos on header against Honduras. Dero's goal was an individual effort against CRC and I dont recall atiba's goal. But clearly there are problems in the kind of players that we develop.

I agree that you can point equally in three different directions for our overall lack of success. But when it comes to the players, I dont think underperformed is the adjective that I would use to describe this campaign. Its more like, we performed as we have in the past. Until we develop players who can play in this region and who can influence games on their own, it will be much of he same n the future.

Archived