Toronto Sun: TFC fans under fire

Loud Mouth Soup

TFC fans under fire

Irked fan and MLSEL clear air about incidents

Let's start this off with the admission that Toronto FC fans -- who have a well-earned reputation across Major League Soccer as the most passionate, most colourful and loudest supporters -- are no candidates for sainthood.

As Sun Media writer Brett Clarkson pointed out so well in the Sunday Sun, however, there are some of the more than 20,000 who have made seats at BMO Field the hottest ticket in town, who have taken their enthusiasm to an ugly new level.

At the Sept. 13 game against the Columbus Crew, for example, full cups of beer were thrown at opposition players from the rumbustious south end stands and after the game Crew fans alleged that they were assaulted by drunken, foul-mouthed Reds supporters in the parking lot.

The beer-throwing has been documented and yesterday TFC's parent -- Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment Ltd. -- let it be known that it has identified some of the participants as season-ticket holders who now are in danger of losing their seats...

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Rudi

Yes, I too find revisionist history hilarious.

1. Beer cups thrown at Crew players / beer cups thrown at an injured Adam Braz

2. Stolen Crew scarf / Stolen Impact scarf from an Impact Front Office guy

3. TFC mob waiting for Columbus in parking lot / TFC mob waiting for Montreal fans outside the gate

The only difference is that unlike Columbus supporters, we were kept inside the stadium by the police while we waited for our bus to come pick us up. Oh and of course there were the waves over waves of objects thrown at us by TFC fans behind our section after the game which doesn't seem to have happened to Columbus fans...

1. Throwing **** is stupid, yet it's happened at every TFC game in existence. You and Columbus are not special in that regard.

2. You don't even want to talk to me about stolen scarves.

3. Again, those in glass houses should not throw stones.

There was no 'mob' waiting for anyone. In fact, there was absolutely NO WAY of knowing that the Columbus fans would be exiting the stadium through that side, since no other visiting fans had ever done so before.

The "mob" you talk so assuredly of (despite not actually being there) was on the way to the pubs north of the Exhibition grounds and the commuter trains also in that same direction. The Columbus fans were directly sent through a giant crowd of exiting TFC fans, some words were exchanged, and some idiots on both sides started throwing punches.

It was all over before it got started. To the security's credit they made up for their incredible stupidity by actually leaving the stadium to help police control the crowd.

That's the real story. But please, continue to endeavour on telling us how it went down from your computer 600km away.

Rudi,it is all great and amazing fun,but that media is waiting and also wonder if even the other sports may have a say so in these happenings.

That original article in the Sun made reference to the threat of European hooliganism on display in Canada.Anyway have fun and keep an eye out for things getting out of hand.

fits with what i heard happened to a lone whitecaps fan at swangard on july 9... TFC fans have quickly become hated around the continent, and its not the atmosphere, we admire that, its the drunken shenannigins thats happens after games, its like on the trip to portland last year that toronto fans took notes on how to be complete pricks from the timbers army. you guys wouldnt be hated if you acted the way the guys i met at the canada game vs SVG did. We love our club teams but this isnt about bashing in the other supporters, we should be supporting the sport of soccer together, bad publicity like this hurts everyone, not just TFC fans.

self-policing... you may not have been involved with beer throwing, you may not have been involved with a parking lot scuffle. but if you witnessed and stood by you should be ashamed. this stuff wouldnt happen if the other TFC fans steped up and told these yahoo's to knock it off.

my two cents

How is this a big deal? Sounds like every other sporting event in this country. My guess is some Muppet at the paper still holds the football fun equals hooligan stereotype and wants to write about nothing.

For those attacking TFC fans I must point out some things I have seen over the years:

* The Southsiders v Portland Timbers handbags that happened two years ago at Swangard. Which was started when four southsiders (myself included), fueled by booze and the scoreline, decided to go over to the timbers section and wave our flag.

* Canucks Fans attacking Oilers fans at GM place after they beat Vancouver

* Some wannabe ICF who attacked me outside a pizza shop in Victoria because I was wearing a Manchester United jacket, and according to them "West Ham Rules"

* Bottles, a can, a lime and a tennis ball that all have been thrown on the field this season during whitecaps matches

quote:Originally posted by morbital

fits with what i heard happened to a lone whitecaps fan at swangard on july 9... TFC fans have quickly become hated around the continent, and its not the atmosphere, we admire that, its the drunken shenannigins thats happens after games, its like on the trip to portland last year that toronto fans took notes on how to be complete pricks from the timbers army. you guys wouldnt be hated if you acted the way the guys i met at the canada game vs SVG did. We love our club teams but this isnt about bashing in the other supporters, we should be supporting the sport of soccer together, bad publicity like this hurts everyone, not just TFC fans.

self-policing... you may not have been involved with beer throwing, you may not have been involved with a parking lot scuffle. but if you witnessed and stood by you should be ashamed. this stuff wouldnt happen if the other TFC fans steped up and told these yahoo's to knock it off.

my two cents

Right.

The "lone" Whitecaps fan at Swangard? How could he have been alone in a crowd of over 5000, the overwhelming majority being fellow Caps fans?

As for becoming quickly "hated" around the continent, that's pure crap. Right now Chicago's Section 8 is planning on meeting with with TFC supporters for a kickabout prior to the Fire's game here at BMO on the 18th. Pure hatred right there.

As for the policing, I'll leave that to the police. The supporters groups are very good at self-policing, but what everyone seems to forget is that outside of the supporters groups, there are still another 17-18000 people at BMO Field every week.

I'd rather enjoy my time at a footy match rather than going around telling every drunk what's what.

As piltdownman said, this crap happens everywhere, yet whenever Toronto is involved, it's a big deal because a) we've ruffled the feathers of a lot of "established" MLS groups with our fervent support and B) the rest of Canada loves to pile on Toronto.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

The "lone" Whitecaps fan at Swangard? How could he have been alone in a crowd of over 5000, the overwhelming majority being fellow Caps fans?

Because the guy who was reportedly targeted in this incident happens to be... how shall we put it... somewhat "special" if you catch my drift, although this may not have been obvious to the TFC guys messing with him.

He is a little guy who is almost always, always, always out and about by himself. As I understand it, the incident in question was reported by a TV cameraman on the roof of the grandstand who observed this on the concourse outside the match.

quote:Originally posted by Johnnie Monster

Because the guy who was reportedly targeted in this incident happens to be... how shall we put it... somewhat "special" if you catch my drift, although this may not have been obvious to the TFC guys messing with him.

He is a little guy who is almost always, always, always out and about by himself. As I understand it, the incident in question was reported by a TV cameraman on the roof of the grandstand who observed this on the concourse outside the match.

Interesting. Thanks for the info, JM.

Still, I don't see how a couple of idiots wearing TFC jerseys 3000km away is representative of our fanbase.

quote:Originally posted by Johnnie Monster

Well nobody's saying all TFC fans are like these particular tools in question, but in the minds of others they are indeed "representing" your fan base by virtue of the fact they are at an away game.

Actually, I took a couple of comments in here as saying that these types of tools are representative of our fanbase in general. Your comments weren't among them, though. I just used a quote of yours as a jumping off point.

It doesn't really matter though, as my issue is more with Columbus supporters and their seeming obsession with TFC and its fanbase more than anything else. Although I do take exception to the lecturing from certain Montreal posters on here, who seem to suffer from pot-calling-kettle-black syndrome.

This sort of thing happens in Canada all the time? Beer being thrown onto the pitch was clearly visible on TV. I haven't seen that on TV at Whitecaps or Montréal games. (Mind you, how often are the Whitecaps on the box?) I haven't seen people throwing beer (not often anyway) onto the ice at hockey games in Canada, either.

As Morbital pointed out, we (people who live not in the centre of the universe) admire the atmosphere at BMO, and obviously there is a large percentage of Toronto supporters who can behave in a civilised fashion, but there are also clearly a few knuckle-scrapers who should be told to smarten up. Surely there are enough sensible people around them persuade them to grow up.

I just can feel the love for TFC here.

For the record, most TFC fans (or at least the ones I know...also take note that I said fans, not supporters here) don't care if we're hated or not by rest of North American soccer fanbase. But then again, I am sure most TFC fans don't care what rest of North American soccer fans think about us. :D

Is it just me or does the TFC fan base "red patch boys" etc seem a little somewhat orchestrated??. How much is/was MLSE involved in the evolution of this section. And dont get me started on the BMO ads for "This Is Our House". So tiresome and boring. Get some songs and cut the White stripes chant, its laughable!! Lastly if you are really passionate fans then its time to get on MLSE's ass to start putting a decent football team together because the product right now from management down is abysmal. Still you have to hand it to TFC, a crap team,crap pitch, crap managers and yet still selling out every game. Sound familiar?? GO LEAFS GO

quote:Originally posted by bingham

Is it just me or does the TFC fan base "red patch boys" etc seem a little somewhat orchestrated??. How much is/was MLSE involved in the evolution of this section. And dont get me started on the BMO ads for "This Is Our House". So tiresome and boring. Get some songs and cut the White stripes chant, its laughable!! Lastly if you are really passionate fans then its time to get on MLSE's ass to start putting a decent football team together because the product right now from management down is abysmal. Still you have to hand it to TFC, a crap team,crap pitch, crap managers and yet still selling out every game. Sound familiar?? GO LEAFS GO

I dont know about RPB. But MLSEL was not involved in the evolution of U-sector. Unless you want to count the pub gatherings that U sector had the winter before the first season whereby Paul came out to meet people. Dont forget, U-sector was around long before TFC arrived.

PS.: I too have always been very curious about how RPB evolved.

And from the moment Major League Soccer announced the awarding of a new franchise to Maple Leaf Sport and Entertainment in 2005, the many life long football fans hibernating in the Toronto soccer “underground" came to the surface and the buzz began.

It wasn’t long after the team was officially named, and the new logo presented for the first time in May of 2006, that a gentleman in England known only as “Simon”, started a discussion group on-line to talk up the new team.

From those humble beginnings the seeds of our club were formed, and a meeting was called amongst the local members of that discussion group, with the specific purpose of forming a proper supporters club.

The first ever meeting was held on September 29, 2006 at Toronto’s “Overdraft” pub with representatives from TFC on hand.

Prior to that historic meeting the group had decided to use the name “Red Patch Boys”, in homage to the veterans of the “1st Canadian Infantry Division” of the Second World War. This unit was referred to as the “Red Patch Devils” by axis troops in recognition of their bravery and perseverance in the face of heavy combat.

The founding members felt that a name honouring this illustrious fighting unit could be worn as a symbol of pride for our country, our city, and our newfound team. As well the new group hoped to emulate the camaraderie and fellowship exhibited by our soldiers in arms.

The name was modified to its current incarnation so as not to be mistaken with the popular nickname of the Manchester United supporters group, “The Red Devils”.

Source: http://www.redpatchboys.ca/rpbhistory.htm

Archived