Brazil Goal

sting

I looked at the replay three times and unless I'm missing something,

it sure looks like that goal was offside. When she back heeled the

ball, I saw only one Canadian defender between her and the goal.

McLeod was ahead of the ball. Not sure how FIFA Ref's could not

see that their was not two defenders between the Brazil player and

the goal. At least that is what the TV angles show.

Even Pellerud began his press conference by mentioning it but he didn't dwell on it.

Brazilian coach said he was missing Marta, Christina and Daniela (all players only use one name) and after club commitments are over, they will join the team on July 20th.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I've got some big WAV files of the post game press conference.

1. Portuguese coach and Erika (goal scorer)

2. Even Pellerud and Christine Sinclair

3. Melissa Tancredi (fifth time she's broken her nose)

4. Erin McLeod

How can I post these? Their size is between 11MB and 20 MB each. between 6 to 10 minutes each.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I don't have the web size for files that big.

tech help appreciated. What would I use to compress them?

Robin, if the files are 11 MB to 20 MB I wouldn't even bother compressing them.

As for hosting them, create an account at www.adrive.com and simply upload them there. Once they are uploaded click on 'share'. After that post the links online.

If you need any other help let me know.

By the way, the Brazil goal looked onside to me. I haven't watched it in slow motion though. One Canadian defender was on the floor playing the Brazilian scorer onside.

Two defending players have to be in between or level with the attacking player receiving a forward pass and the defending goal line.

Off side by a few feet but the 2nd last defender rushing hard forward for a block must have been mistaken as level by the linesman. Linesman's what, thirty, thirty-five yards from the action?

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

Two defending players have to be in between or level with the attacking player receiving a forward pass and the defending goal line.

Thanks Cheeta. I assumed it was changed to one defender.

The funny thing is I don't think this rule is properly called all the time (the 2 defenders part).

If the A.R. had her vision obstructed or could not see where the ball came from she can't call what see doesn't see. You must "see" an offside infringement, you cannot assume an offside existed and raise your flag. But Mr. Pellerud must have had the best view from centre field as he said the player was offside.

If Brazil can muster a tie with their 3 best players missing and using their relief goalkeeper I wonder if Pellerud's team can do the same if he had his 3 best players missing and playing with his relief goalkeeper.

^ The pic shows the AR had a clear view & was square to the offside Brazilian player. Definitely a brain fart by the officating team.

Great game but some moments of disorganization. IMO the game vs the USA in the PQC was a better game. Hopefully the tournament format of the Olympics will bring some more focus to each game.

Pathetic that this was the teams 1st international home game in 2 years!!! Super to have a great turnout by the Toronto soccer community...well done Toronto.

I was sitting between two referee's guru's and they all concluded and agreed that this goal was offside.I also had made the same conclusion based upon the two player rule.

I must say that the skill of our players was very subpar and on both teams as well.The ball control and visions were terrible and it sure needs a lot of attention.

Not sure if it is the skill level, or more the tactics. We played

for a lead and then it was defend the lead. Once the game was tied,

all of sudden we started to play again. They tried what they did

against Mexico. 1-0 lead and try and hold on. The problem is that we

will play a higher level of competition at the Olympics and holding

a lead will be much harder.

I read his book and understand what he is trying to do. I like the

pressure defending he is enforcing with two players attacking the

ball carrier. I'm just not sold on the long ball to the lone striker

as offence. It may work to cause havoc for the other teams defence

but does not encourage as much skill amongst our players.

These tactics could be why your not seeing the skill from the

Canadian players. If they want to go to the Olympics, they have

to play the way the Coach dictates otherwise they sit at home

and he chooses someone else.

Inability to control the ball at your feet, repeated lost possession, failed passes and wild, frantic clearing kicks up into the sky... methinks that has far more to do with individual skill than tactics. The coach is doing the best he can with what he has.

The game was definitely a battle of midfield, delay, kill the transition, jump to the quick counter attack & try for the lockdown/pin in the offensive zone/final 1/3rd. Diane was on a mission last nite to delay the Brazilians in the Midfield zone. Even though they played a 4-4-3 it look more like a 4-3-1-3 w/ Diane being all over the field.

In comparing last nites game to the PQC games, I prefer the PQC games that were more wide open. Last nites game looked like 2 wide open teams playing on a barely legal field where they really struggled to put their games together.

Skill wise both teams looked off too. All the air balls & high boots were brutal. 1st touch really not there for BR. Brazil had some decent build up & showed thinking in moving the ball around in the backs.

Was a lot of panicking going on & it was uncomfortable to watch as I've seen better.

Would be interesting to see the stats of the game. If anyone has please post.

Regardless some momentum

quote:Originally posted by CoachRich

^ The pic shows the AR had a clear view & was square to the offside Brazilian player.

The proper position of an A.R. is square with the second last defender, NOT with the player offside. You can't assume what the view of the A.R. was.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

I too was really disappointed in the apparent poor personal skill level of so many of the Canadian players. If they play like that in Beijing they'll be lucky to get out of the round robin stage, Pellerud's game tactics aside.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

Inability to control the ball at your feet, repeated lost possession, failed passes and wild, frantic clearing kicks up into the sky... methinks that has far more to do with individual skill than tactics. The coach is doing the best he can with what he has.

More than a fair assessment.

In my opinion however, I think our girls have more skill, but their style hinders them from showing more. Surely the coach is doing the best he can with what he has as you say, but let us not forget he has had 8 years to groom his players one style or another. Insofar as balls kicked "wildly" into the sky, that is usually a standard defensive play when under pressure intended to gain time for re-shaping and remove immediate threat, at least momentarily, with the possibility of gaining a header.

quote:Originally posted by AlanDouglas

Way offside. Too bad.

offside.jpg

Player ten has possesion of the ball, she is not offside, the half fallen Brasilian player is in an offside positon but not affecting play, i.e waving her arms etc. so in this image no offside.

.... see the photo at : http://www.cbf.com.br/sitenoticias/_850522462008710.html

Upon watching the video a few more times I think the referee could not have judged the moment 10 passed the ball to the goal scorer 20, I do suspect she was offside when the pass was made, so the goal should have been blown down.

CBF player w/ the ball is 16 who is outside of the GA who Erin is trying to stop. CBF player 10 or 20 is on the ground inside the GA & in-between Can last defenders 1 & 2. You can see this clearly in the pic of your link which shows there was only 1 Can defender back when CBF 10 played the ball. Use the field markings to be your position guide.

Archived