Whitecaps - Impact V-Cup Match Thread 06-25-08 (R)

Thought I'd start it for once:

Voyageurs Cup Match Night 3

June 25, 2008

Vancouver Whitecaps - Montreal Impact

Swangard Stadium, Burnaby, BC

Kickoff - 8:00 PM PDT

Radio: Vancouver - Team 1040 http://www.team1040.ca/player/

Internet Video: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/

TV: Live nationwide on CBC Bold

Live CBC Network Ontario/ East (11:00 PM EDT)

Tape Delay CBC Network Manitoba/West/Pacific/North (11:00 PM Local)

Weather: Partly cloudy, 21 Celsius, 33% humidity

0% Chance of precipitation

CSA has the starting lineups posted on the matchtracker.

For Vancouver: Cann, Clarke, Addlery, and Sebrango are returning to the lineup.

For Montreal: Pesoli is returning from his red card suspension from the first game against TFC.

Should be interesting to see if Vancouver does better with four players returning.

quote:Originally posted by BearcatSA

Looked bad giving that ball away, for sure. Still curious as to how he vaulted ahead of Hainault on the MNT depth chart: I wonder if Hainault played himself into DM's doghouse? Anyways, that discussion is not for this thread.

Maybe he was in the St Vag games simply for Mitchell to evaluate him knowing that it was a relatively easy game.

It seemed as though Lenarduzzi was talking with certainty about being in MLS.

cccaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnn!

kidding around is the theme of the night. allow me to quote mr. lenarduzzi: "the mls is the best league in north america." erm, has an MLS team won the regional title over Saprissa or Pachuca etc since 1995? (I will probably have egg on my face!)

quote:Originally posted by bettermirror

cccaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnn!

kidding around is the theme of the night. allow me to quote mr. lenarduzzi: "the mls is the best league in north america." erm, has an MLS team won the regional title over Saprissa or Pachuca etc since 1995? (I will probably have egg on my face!)

Might as well the game is going nowhere for the Caps :(

He must have meant "the areas of North America that didn't have a league before the USA hosted the World Cup" :D

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

Attendance: 4412

OOF

I liked Reed saying how the crowd is getting behind the team blahblah, and Lenarduzzi saying there was a good atmosphere blahblah.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

Nigel Reed: zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

quote:Originally posted by nazzer

It seemed as though Lenarduzzi was talking with certainty about being in MLS.

Yeah, I noticed that as well. He mentioned at one point that they will be moving to the new version of BC Place in 2011 for MLS (without providing any sort of "if we are allowed into the league" caveat) and then mentioned that without the refurbishing of BC Place they may have lost the opportunity to join MLS (implying that they have taken the opportunity).

Nick DeSantis and Joey Saputo were inseperable during the game. They inspected the pitch together, watched the game together, hit on the crowd together, and then left together in Joey's very deluxe rental car.

Nick must be like an adopted son. And Adam Braz is a complete mutt. He took a dive during that scirmish that would have made all of Central America proud.

quote:Originally posted by SilverSamurai

OUCH!

I watched a bit of the 1st half and after being in Montreal last week and watching TFC matches, the crowd sounded like they were dead.

Anyways nice backdrops of mountains and trees though. :)

It's about 800 short of a sellout. The Caps didn't really put a lot into this game...all of their ads leading up were only plugging the TFC game on July 9. It barely got mentioned in sportscasts yesterday.

As for the atmosphere, for some reason, Vancouver's always been a different kind of crowd. I don't know if it's because we're more laid-back here, or if it's because we've never gone "soccer hungry" the way Toronto and to an extent Montreal has. I have a hunch this might change when the Whiteaps go MLS much the way it did in Toronto and in MTL when they got their stadium. Time will tell.

quote:Originally posted by Vancouversoccerman

It's about 800 short of a sellout. The Caps didn't really put a lot into this game...all of their ads leading up were only plugging the TFC game on July 9. It barely got mentioned in sportscasts yesterday.

As for the atmosphere, for some reason, Vancouver's always been a different kind of crowd. I don't know if it's because we're more laid-back here, or if it's because we've never gone "soccer hungry" the way Toronto and to an extent Montreal has. I have a hunch this might change when the Whiteaps go MLS much the way it did in Toronto and in MTL when they got their stadium. Time will tell.

Seems like it's more family oriented targeting. Maybe you guys can take CV2 from us. lol

They're promoting TFC? Wow... I don't think any supporters are going since the big west coast trip is to San Jose for the last MLS game of the season.

Any of you guys coming to TO for the game @ BMO? TFC is pushing this as a must win game and I expect the entire 1st squad to play. Man I wish I could go to the game.

I think the rest of the country knows why you guys are more laid back. ;) lol j/k

But in all seriousness, the shots they showed of the woods and mountain look nice. I really have to get out to BC sometime looks really nice.

So hurry up and get your stadium built and join MLS! Would be nice to do an away trip w/o having to leave the country!

Archived