Mexico vs. Canada (NOT AZTECA)

DigzTFC

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If my memory serves me well, the Zapatistas are centred around San Cristobal. Regardless, the dudes offer eco-tours and other guided services to the tourists...when the insurrection occured in 94, they didn't bother the gringos at all.

Worst case scenario, bring your finest Che Guevara shirt, and buy a Subcomandante Marcos shirt down there, and you'll fit in. Until the federales see you....

quote:Originally posted by River City

Anyone up for a road trip for either Honduras or Mexico?

Absolutely. T.G. via Montreal is a definite road trip possibility. Honduras scares me a bit more, plus it's Thanksgiving weekend. I'll wait to see where the Honduras game is announced before making any decisions. Arguably, the Honduras game is going to be way more important than the Mexico game the following Wednesday.

YEG-YUL-MEX-TGZ-YEG is around $1400 FWIW. Hotels should add another $500.

And since you mentioned road trip, how well would a 7-day cruise with a stopover in Kingston work for a November roadtrip? Those with spouses/families could make a nice vacation out of the trip.

Once the schedule is announced, maybe someone can start travel threads for each of the games to gather interest?

The one option I was looking at was a cheap flight to Cancun ($600 right now) and then busing it to TG. For the Honduras game, the plan would be to fly to Cancun, make a pit stop in Livingston (fun Guatemalan city with garifuna culture) and then head to San Pedro Sula.

From what I hear, Honduras is a little sketchier than Guatemala, but I didn't have any problems there in April 07. Even walked by myself from the tourist zone in Guate to the stadium in the morning to buy tickets for the Municipal - Communicaciones derby and back again, which apparently is a big no-no. I didn't see any problems with it. A few guys at the hostel I was at (Xamanec - best cheap place to stay in Guate) went as well, and one brought his Guatemalan gf, who was upper class and shocked that I had bought the tickets in the hoolie section.

The hoolies weren't rowdy at all and I've seen worse behaviour at kids soccer games, so....Having said that, there were parts of the city I wouldn't dream of going into.

I travel cheap and when I eventually go to San Cristobal, the plan is to go via Cancun, spend a few days there, then bus it westwards, stopping off in Merida and at least one more city depending on what fellow travellers recommend. I haven checked flights from Cancun to TX, but the advantage of busing on long-haul trips, is you book it overnight and save money on not having a hotel room.

The entire bus trip is 16 hours, which could be easily made with a stop in between.

You might find a cheaper flight direct to Mexico City, and the bus trip would definitely be shorter (10 hrs). Unless you're eager to enjoy Cancun (I'd prefer the few days in Mexico City myself) I'd consider MEX too. But the buses are fantastic - better than business class on an international flight. Not cheap ($70 - $100 each way) but a good way to spend a night. You might keep an eye on the YEG-YUL-CUN flight to see if you can get a good deal on it. The YEG-YUL-MEX flight is priced as a direct YEG-MEX flight. So is YEG-YUL-CUN...it's just that there's a full-price segment there (YUL-CUN?) I might try the bus from Mexico City to T.G. just to say I've done it, but to make a flight home Thursday I'd have to fly.

Honduras is better than Guatemala so I've been told. But San Pedro Sula isn't a nice "city". Tourist parts are OK, but it's an industrial city with more than its share of crime. How all of that plays at a futbol match...?

quote:Originally posted by Johnnie Monster

Anyone have any good ideas for how a recently married guy can convince his wife that a vacation in Cancun can only be possible by working in a short diversion to a footy match?

I'd make sure to tell her about the **** throwing.

Thanks CanadianTraveller and welcome aboard by the way.

I spent a week in Mexico City back in January 2005 and loved it but I still haven't been to Cancun, hence my interest going down that route. Plus, if any other V's come down, my guess is they'd feel more comfortable in Cancun than Mexico City. Perceptions being what they are.

quote:Originally posted by Johnnie Monster

Anyone have any good ideas for how a recently married guy can convince his wife that a vacation in Cancun can only be possible by working in a short diversion to a footy match?

Tell her you love her and grovel a lot. Women love grovelling.

quote:Originally posted by River City

I travel cheap and when I eventually go to San Cristobal, the plan is to go via Cancun, spend a few days there, then bus it westwards, stopping off in Merida and at least one more city depending on what fellow travellers recommend. I haven checked flights from Cancun to TX, but the advantage of busing on long-haul trips, is you book it overnight and save money on not having a hotel room.

The entire bus trip is 16 hours, which could be easily made with a stop in between.

I've done the Cancun to Merida bus trip, it wasn't that bad.

Might want to look into flying into Huatulco, its a pretty major airport.

Archived