Pellerud confirms he'll be stepping down

The Ref

Pellerud confirms he'll be stepping down

Canadian Press

June 2, 2008 at 1:52 PM EDT

VANCOUVER — Even Pellerud confirms he plans to step down as coach of the national women's soccer team following the Summer Games in Beijing.

Pellerud says he hopes to remain in the sport but wouldn't discuss his future plans at a news conference in Vancouver today.

The 54-year-old became the team's head coach in 1999. But he has recently criticized the Canadian Soccer Association for not spending enough money on the team.

Canada was fourth at the 2003 World Cup but was eliminated in the first round of last year's World Cup.

The team is now ranked ninth in the FIFA standings.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A good move and the time was right for a change. You could tell that with Pellerud the peak was reached and the team was gradually on a downslope as a results of the competitive field getting better.

But mostly what I am looking forward to is what direction the next coach will take the women. Because I remain convinced that those who beleive that Pelleruds departure will usher in Jogo Bonito and open the floodgates to the supposed masses of players out there of super technical ability but ignored because of the evil WNT coach and the CSA, will be sadly disappointed.

I still contend that the style and tactics that we play have a genesis moreseo in the culture of womens soccer ( right down down to the first time girls pick up a soccer ball and/or choose to take up the sport) in canada as opposed to being entirely the product of Pellerud's teachings. But we shall see.

quote:Originally posted by The Ref

Let the speculation commence as to who will take his place. I like Steffi Jones or Carolina Morace.

What about Charmaine Hooper, plenty of people here seemed high on her as head coach for the WNT a while back?

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

I still contend that the style and tactics that we play have a genesis moreseo in the culture of womens soccer ( right down down to the first time girls pick up a soccer ball and/or choose to take up the sport) in canada as opposed to being entirely the product of Pellerud's teachings. But we shall see.

I would agree with you.. if we were talking eight years ago, but the reality is down at the grassroots coaches and players have changed the jogo bonito is starting to emerge, there are players in Canada, female ones who can play a different style then Pelerud allows / trains his players to play.... what will be telling is if the CSA goes out and finds a coach with the skill set to have a different technical view, clearly the Mens result against Brasil and yes i know its only one game and a friendly will start the pooh bahs at the CSA thinking.... Hart and Womens Comittee will have lots to answer for, if they dont get the replacement hire right.

Onward.. and upward hopefully...as to Peleruds next position... that will be interesting to see where he lands, my prediction is he will not remain in Canada, he will end up coaching a womens club team in Europe, then fade from the scene.

^ I doubt she has the credentials and certainly she does not have the international coaching experience to be head coach of a senior national team program. My post was intended to be deliberately provocative in light of history on the subject in this forum.

quote:Originally posted by CoachRich

Ian Bridge?

Only person who leaps to mind and he fits the CSA mold. Already on the payroll, no senior managing experience, etc etc.

By the way even though it seems it was the worst kept secret in Canadian football to hear public confirmation that Pellerud is out the door after his contract runs out is a welcome relief. Hard to back out now.

And whatever you think of Pellerud's performance/legacy the fact of the matter is this era has run it's course and it's more than time for a new set of eyes.

Wonder how hard the CSA will pursue replacements? How wide a net they'll cast as it were.

And will the future WNT coach/manager be a full time position?

It's times like this we all need to pray.

What happens to the Whitecaps arrangements if the new coach wants to disassociate with them? Did Pellerud lock that up contractually? Or can the new head truly have the control they deserve?

"Wonder how hard the CSA will pursue replacements? How wide a net they'll cast as it were." - IMO not very far as the CSA will be controlled by how much money they have after their Dec annual financials.

If we look at the MNT appointment of Hart, the CSA is not going to change things that much. Ian has been around the WNT for quite awhile now so KISS is best for the CSA.

Thankfully the WNT has had some good results on the field in 2008 so Sports Canada & COC will give them more $ after Dec 2008 for the 2009 season. Hence the new coach should have a bit of a nest egg $ wise for the WNT.

Some questions about what the new era could mean -

No full time coach? ---Good obs Cheeta

Less CSA $ for the WP?

Will the WNT & WP basically continue to operate on Sports Canada & COC $?

No Mr Kerfoot $?

Less sponsor $ for the WNT?

WNT players move on as there is less $

& etc.

quote:

"Wonder how hard the CSA will pursue replacements? How wide a net they'll cast as it were." - IMO not very far as the CSA will be controlled by how much money they have after their Dec annual financials.

Except they're not paying Pellerud, which free's up a lot of money.

quote:

If we look at the MNT appointment of Hart, the CSA is not going to change things that much. Ian has been around the WNT for quite awhile now so KISS is best for the CSA.

Except the point of the exercise is fresh thinking. Pellerud and Bridge have been attached at the hip for close to a decade. Bridge's youth teams play the same system as Pellerud, and the same as the one we've outgrown. I would think we would want someone with a good deal of experience coaching the style of soccer we will be transitioning to, and someone with experience running a national team. Otherwise it's just another old boy's rookie patronage appointment.

quote:

WNT players move on as there is less $

Everyone moves on and manages their own careers and comes back for training camps and internationals. Can't argue with the results on the men's side.

quote:Originally posted by Vic

Except the point of the exercise is fresh thinking. Pellerud and Bridge have been attached at the hip for close to a decade. Bridge's youth teams play the same system as Pellerud, and the same as the one we've outgrown. I would think we would want someone with a good deal of experience coaching the style of soccer we will be transitioning to, and someone with experience running a national team. Otherwise it's just another old boy's rookie patronage appointment.

That is very true. I've seen Bridge coaching the same stupid things as Pellerud. I guess he has to otherwise Pellerud would have kicked him out too, nor has he packed it in like others have. They have been together a long time and I can't see Bridge all of a sudden starting to think on his own. Also I don't think he has the personality to deal with some characters.

I expect the CSA to announce a job competition for appearance's sake and end up appointing someone out of the blue.

quote:Originally posted by Vic

It's times like this we all need to pray.

What happens to the Whitecaps arrangements if the new coach wants to disassociate with them? Did Pellerud lock that up contractually? Or can the new head truly have the control they deserve?

Vic, there is no contractual arrangement between the Whitecaps and Even Pellerud or the WNT other than the Whitecaps agreement to release the WNT players from their club commitment till after the Olympics. You are looking for conspiracies where none exist for no reason other than to justify your own paranoia.

Judging from the pattern over the last few years I think we can expect a local (Canadian) coach to be appointed by the CSA as a replacement for Pellerud. Ian Bridge would be an obvious and easy CSA choice and much cheaper than a foreign coach. Got to remember that the CSA is still in dire financial straights and will be for some time to come. I would be surprised to see Greg Kerfoot continue to sponsor the program at the same level he has till now after the Olympics.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

^ I doubt she has the credentials and certainly she does not have the international coaching experience to be head coach of a senior national team program. My post was intended to be deliberately provocative in light of history on the subject in this forum.

I guess shaking things up isn't really part of your vision, is it? Hooper's troopers would make us forget about that crap long ball and generate some interest in the game. Might even sell more soap!!

quote:Originally posted by Ed

I guess shaking things up isn't really part of your vision, is it? Hooper's troopers would make us forget about that crap long ball and generate some interest in the game. Might even sell more soap!!

Ed your more on the right track then ...Richard will see, If a former world class player is appointed who is an immigrant, black and learned her soccer in Canada you hit a lot of check boxes on what sponsors might just love to see...

Hooper has a lot of upsides as a manager, supported by her own choices for technical training vetted by the CSA Technical Director, who really does not have lot of day to day work to do, having no real contact with clubs or player development.

The real issue at this level of coaching is to select the right players with technical skills who will play to the system the new coach will implement. The other side of it, is to choose players who can and will form a mature group of players on the field who take ownership of their reponsibilitys to perform and reject lame excuses as crutches to poor performance, on this count I suspect Hooper will be far superior to the normal CSA type appointment.

Its time we started to accept a coach who comes from the women's side not a coach moving to women's side of the game as some personal second choice.

So clearly I would be pleased to hear the CSA start its search now with a target to appoint the new coach before the Olympics so the new coach can observe and assess the players and performance up close at the Olympics before Pelerud bows out.

The adverts could be easily up and out within the week as and Anticipatory Hiring with a target to interview candidates in July.

Any of the potential applicants should be able to be interviewed based on the CSA hiring ctte being struck quickly.

Hopefully the CSA will send out a press release to FIFA about needing a new full time coach along with a salary range for the job.

The CSA would be sinking to a new low appointing such a coaching neophyte to head up the WNT program - read her bio - there is plenty there about playing but absolutely nothing about coaching, nothing whatsoever. No mention of any coaching qualifications at all, not even courses attended. Never coached at college level, never coached at W-League level, never coached a pro team never even coached a highschool team, only ever really run summer camps for teenaged girls which apparently ended after 2006. Recent events also demonstrate she now has something of an attitude problem. This is no knock on her long and distinguished playing career, but she is not ready by any stretch of the imagination to head up the WNT program other than as a politically correct and probably relatively inexpensive (to the CSA budget) figurehead.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

[br This is no knock on her long and distinguished playing career, but she is not ready by any stretch of the imagination to head up the WNT program other than as a politically correct and probably relatively inexpensive (to the CSA budget) figurehead.

So your pretty confident in her chances to be appointed, given the two most important factors in such a appointment.

Glad to see you coming around to seeing her as a viable candidate in the eyes of the CSA.

quote:

Whitecaps arrangement, Kerfoot residency agreements, whatever. Kerfoot IS the Whitecaps. Call it whatever the Hell you want. My question was are the players on the WNT locked into any contractual obligations, and I think that's fairly obvious to your average non-argumentative Canadian.

Can't say as I didn't expect the entire country to hope for the best candidate possible and the inner sanctum Vancouver guy's to try and present Bridge as the only logical choice. But I did expect a much better argument than easy and money. The fact that you didn't mention a single thing about coaching should tell you something...

The Pellerud/Bridge system was fresh and successful five years ago. Pellerud's women went to the semi's in the WWC and Bridge's U19's went to the final in Edmonton. But since then not only Pellerud's WNT has stagnated. Bridge's U19 team was eliminated in the quarter-finals the following tournament in 2004 and in 2006 was eliminated even earlier in group play with two losses (including a loss to Nigeria which put them through). Does that ring your bell for experience and current proof of competency running a WNT?

The women's game is much younger than the men's and a large majority of the women on these teams are basically girls still growing and learning the game. Can you imagine if your university experience was limited to the same professor for a decade? Can you say drudgery?

Archived