Pellerud confirms he'll be stepping down

The Ref

quote:Originally posted by Ed

Well, I don't know how many grey cells I have left, but it is painfully obvious to me that you made up your mind about that 'uppity xxxxx' a long time ago.

Posed Oct 2006 by Richard:

I have no wish to put down these three players' abilities on the field of play or their accumulated statistics but it seems to me this is all about money and not a result of any supposed loyalty to the national program. If it really was about the team the last thing they would have done was sue because of the inevitable impact it would have and has had on their team mates, the women's game in Canada and their own reputations. Hooper and the others are no doubt sore that through their own actions they have lost their CSA carding money (up to $1,500 per month) and the $20,000 a year from Kerfoot's fund, totalling a possible $38,000 per year.

Frankly it strikes me Charmaine Hooper has got just a little too big for her boots and she has dragged the other two down with her.

The evidence is there, in the public domain, for everybody to see and form their opinions. Do you have a problem with that? Clearly you and I have different opinions on what said evidence tells us which seems to bother you mightily.

Anyway, how does your post above have anything whatsoever to do with the issue of contractual obligations which was the point of my post?

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought this post was about Pellerud stepping down. As he is set to leave sometime before December, does anyone have an opinion on what changes might arise from that departure? Or what Pellerud might move?

Will he leave Canada for a job at, I don't know, a college in the US (before anyone jumps on his credentials, he does have an academic background)? Might he work for the Whitecaps? Go back to Europe? Maybe a move to the Toronto FC should they be looking to field a woman's team in the fledgling WPS, set to start in '09?

What about the style of play? Will the team begin to move to a possession-style of play, with skillful players setting the tempo? Do we even have those abilities within our player pool? Will a new coach bring a different philosophy of play? Might a different approach help the WNT to move up the FIFA rankings?

Will Birarda be a leading candidate to take over the WNT? Will we again look outside of Canada for a WNT coach?

I think that should be the focus of this discussion, not a rehash of the very unfortunate Hooper, Nonen and Latham vs. Pellerud situation. Or contractual law. What a tangent!

Hooper will not be the next WNT head coach - she doesn't have the coaching credentials required - but it would be an interesting turn of events if she again became involved in some capacity in the future as she doesn't suffer fools gladly.

Let the sleeping dog lie (at least here) and concentrate on the changes that are sure to come with Pellerud's departure, or at the very least consider what he might do next.

I told you, the CSA dont care, they are untouchable and they will continue on exactly as in the past. Pellerud will be recycled in to another position, likely of more importance.

Well I beg to differ. Charmaine is world class and the best representative of Canada presently available.

Her coaching potential is as good as lots of past world class players who started with no or superficial paper credentials who became succesful coach's. Even if she had any desire to coach or participate in Canada after the dick club screwed her and the entire WNT. I know she would be superior to a lot of her predecessors. However I dont want to see her here in any capacity with the CSA.

The point is the CSA is crap and it will continue on in this path their are no possible improvements here, just same people different positions different year. Only the vast or overwhelming skill of the individual players like Charmaine Hooper, Forrest, Lang, Sinclair, Burtini, and DeRo, Forest, have made the CSA look impressive and made this momentarily palatable for all of us , passionate fans.

Fan, you should run for office at the CSA. Then you could fix everything you so passionately believe is broken with the CSA and Canadian soccer. You could even fire Even Pellerud which I think many of us here have concluded would be an orgasmic type experience for you.

Thanks Richard, I am just not as perverse as you I guess, to be orgasmic over that.

Now if we hired Marinho I might get kind of titillated.

Rarely anything the CSA does gets me excited, and only when mini-me throws a tantrum do I get interested in him.

Like I said the players are my only source of passion.

I do miss Charmaine's bright light on the park.

I think we all miss Charmaine Hooper as we do many players from days past, but Ms Hooper is now 40 years old and way past her international or even pro club level playing days. While I am sure she can be a good ambassador for the game and some think she would be the best choice to succeed Even Pellerud as WNT head coach, she simply does not have the credentials and I for one would be very dissapointed if by some miracle she was handed the job as I think even the CSA can do better than that.

Speaking of titillating, it would be a great favour to many of us if you would lower your vitriol level regarding Even Pellerud for a while. He is only around for a few more months. Lets just root for our young women to do the best they can at the Olympics shall we, there really is nothing like a good, positive attitude.

The race issue is all dried up and turned into nothing but PC nonsense by the media. I dont think Charmaine feels any race issue anyway. She would be an excellent choice as coach even right now but for her sake she should pursue other organizations and prosper without the CSA bungling and mismanagement.

The CSA is just too negative an organization to be involved with for anyone She needs to wallow in the praise and honour the rest of the world rightfully bestows on her.

Pellerud is over as a coach and hopefully the remaining women who have not been too badly effected by his ego and greed will at least go unscathed enough to enjoy positive encouraging experiences outside of the CSA in their soccer careers.

I will just watch again for that unbridled skill and joy in players we have witnessed over the years with Charmaine to surface again in the Olympics. Our hope is in the hands of the players overcoming all obstacles including Pellerud and succeeding in glory anyways. Go Canada Go !

Well I mixed with many members of the WNT on Saturday at Swangard for the Whitecaps retirement of Andrea Neil's #5 and there was plenty of enthusiasm, high spirits, fun and joy in evidence with Even Pellerud and without Charmaine Hooper... no problem on that score. No person is indispensible or irreplacable.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

Well I mixed with many members of the WNT on Saturday at Swangard for the Whitecaps retirement of Andrea Neil's #5 and there was plenty of enthusiasm, high spirits, fun and joy in evidence with Even Pellerud and without Charmaine Hooper... no problem on that score. No person is indispensible or irreplacable.

I take it Charmaine was not their ...so how could "fun and joy" have been expressed for one who was absent and no doubt not invited to attend ?

What is interesting is you describe Even Pelerud being there, I guess cause he is part of the Whitecaps family....for the Whitecaps retirement of her jersey... funny stuff about perceptions and leadership knowing when to turn up to an event and when to send regrets.

Now not to be to pedantic about it .. Richard how were the players as individuals expressing there joy and the fun they have with Even Pelerud...was it physical demonstrations .... hugs, kisses on the cheek for there coach ...or was it something more subtle you read in their faces as they mixed and mingled around Even ?

I really do want to know what made you feel it was joy and fun ....expressed.

I guess it must have been you who didn't waste the opportunity to rejoice for Mrs. Hooper absence. I agree with you that no person is indispensable o irreplaceable (note corrected spelling). This apply to Mr. Pellerud as well and in my view they have not been able to find anyone who can fill Mrs. Hooper shoes and never will. If in almost two years she is still on their minds and yours is significant.

quote:Originally posted by The Ref

I guess it must have been you who didn't waste the opportunity to rejoice for Mrs. Hooper absence. I agree with you that no person is indispensable o irreplaceable (note corrected spelling). This apply to Mr. Pellerud as well and in my view they have not been able to find anyone who can fill Mrs. Hooper shoes and never will. If in almost two years she is still on their minds and yours is significant.

In what possible way could you infer from my post that I rejoiced in Ms Hooper's absence you a**hole!

Let me say it again, the team was quite happy, comfortable and eager without Ms Hooper being their to cause it, even with Even Pellerud in charge of the program still. This was in response to somebody else's earlier post that all the joy and eagerness or whatever had gone out of the program since Ms Hooper left - quite the contrary.

From my direct observations Ms Hooper's presence is not missed by the current team even if some of them might still hold fond memories of her good times with the program in years gone by, even if those memories have been sullied by her more recent behaviour.

As for the facetious spelling correction, I assume then that you never mistype when posting?

I guess you incessant Charmaine Hooper boosters just can't come to terms with the fact that the WNT can get along just fine without her. Indeed, in all the years Ms Hooper was on the team they never qualified for the Olympics but without her....

She was a strong player in her day for sure, but nobody is indispensible. Pity she queered her own pitch and missed out on the kind of fond sendoff ceremony enjoyed by Andrea Neil at Swangard on Saturday with the full WNT present and rooting for her.

"a**hole" Richard, again you are the one with vitriol and it certainly is increasing.

"facetious spelling correction, I assume then that you never mistype when posting?" You are the one who professed your command of the English language.

"This was in response to somebody else's earlier post that all the joy and eagerness or whatever had gone out of the program since Ms Hooper left" Who was that? If you are referring to me again your comprehension is very poor.

"Pity she queered her own pitch and missed out on the kind of fond sendoff ceremony "

The only queered pitch came from the CSA, Pellerud, and Kerfoot group.The ceremonies Charmaine has duely received from world class, far more respectable, competent and prestigious organizations like FIFA were considerably more illustrious affairs than any the CSA could manage.

I am sure that Charmaine will get along just fine and the CSA honouring her is not something she would easily participate in given their atrocious conduct towards her and her family.

Charmaine was a bright spot that made us all smile I look forward to finding more bright spots among the players in the future.

Wow this thread just keeps getting better and better...

I'd like to see who people they think would be the ideal head coach for the team, outside of the aforementioned Hooper who does not have the qualifications or coaching experience (although some day if she decides this is what she wants to focus on and to this point she has expressed NO desire for the job, she should certainly be considered), if you could hire anyone with the qualifications necessary and experience coaching women at the elite level who would you choose.

Now back to your usual tribal warfare...

quote:Originally posted by fan

The ceremonies Charmaine has duely received from world class, far more respectable, competent and prestigious organizations like FIFA were considerably more illustrious affairs than any the CSA could manage.

While I certainly support your sentiments fan - competent and prestigious are not words I associate closely with FIFA.... [:o)]

I don't think any of Charmaine Hooper's WNT teammates attended that far off FIFA afair whereas the whole WNT turned out for Andrea Neil on Saturday. I am sure they (and I) admire Ms Hooper's onfield record, just her final act left a really sour taste which is unfortunate for everybody and it could so easily have been avoided if Ms Hooper had behaved more graciously.

quote:Originally posted by Bill Ault

I'd like to see who people they think would be the ideal head coach for the team, outside of the aforementioned Hooper who does not have the qualifications or coaching experience (although some day if she decides this is what she wants to focus on and to this point she has expressed NO desire for the job, she should certainly be considered), if you could hire anyone with the qualifications necessary and experience coaching women at the elite level who would you choose.

How about Jim Gabarra? or Tom Stone? both former WUSA coaches...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Gabarra

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Stone_%28coach%29

Stone is at Texas Tech, bit Gabarra may be out of work...

quote:Originally posted by Bill Ault

Bill, Lets assume we stay within Canada, how about Marc Mounicot (McGill U. Women's head coach). A Canadian licence A holder and has had many years of experience coaching women's soccer. Not sure about his values re:possession type soccer vs. kick & run though!? Being from the "east", maybe you know him / met him?

http://www.athletics.mcgill.ca/varsity_sports_article.ch2?article_id=4292

I don't think any of Charmaine Hooper's WNT teammates attended that far off FIFA afair whereas the whole WNT turned out for Andrea Neil on Saturday. I am sure they (and I) admire Ms Hooper's onfield record, just her final act left a really sour taste which is unfortunate for everybody and it could so easily have been avoided if Ms Hooper had behaved more graciously.

So I guess Latham and Nonen showed up as well then?

^ [^]

quote:

How about Jim Gabarra? or Tom Stone? both former WUSA coaches...

Stone is DiCicco's Assistant for the US U20's, who are in Mexico for the CONCACAF qualifiers this week. Bit of a farce in that 3 teams come out (USA, Canada and Mexico). The only real mystery is Sydney Leroux who's in the USA squad of 20 players going down. They've played quite a few games this year and I don't know if she's hit the pitch. I still wonder if they're trying to landlock her.

Archived