Pellerud confirms he'll be stepping down

The Ref

quote:Originally posted by terpfan68

Well Trillium should 25 % of the players be required to be a certain ethnic group or should the players be picked by their skill and fitness levels? There is enough politics in the sport already with each Provincial association having a say. If the best players all speak French or Ukranian or whatever but hold Canadian citizenship then pick them.

Terpfan no one and certainly not me talked about percentages of persons of certain ethnic or racial or lingusitic groups, and if you think that is what I wrote your very very dense.

The point if you did not get it, is something called equity and equality of oppourtunity, you place a national sports team and program in a place where all the relevant services for your athletes exist, ..now read it again all the relevant servcices so take sme time now do some thinking and make a list, what services are required for a team / residency program for a group of canadian women aged from 16 to 40, ( the most likely ages of selected players ).

Once you make up your list you need ensure each of the services which are critical to a player are available in both official languages in order to live up to the countrys laws and the concept of equality of oppourtunity, not to mention the movements within FIFA for inclusion.

Care to write up a list ?

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Richard

Saputo Stadium pitch is beautiful right now and so it should be, it is brand new and hardly ever used. If the Impact can limit use of the field to two or three games a week then it will likely stay that way but already the grass in front of the goals is showing heavy wear. Few facilities in Canada can sustain such a low level of usage however. Even little used Commonwealth stadium needs a new pitch every year.

Where did you get the information that Commonwealhth stadium is re-sodded yearly ?

As to wear on a field a grass field, it can certainly sustain two games a week on average if not more if the field is not used daily for practice, wear in front of the goals can be reduced, especilly if the field is used for practices by movement of goals when certain drills are run.

Give a field appropriate water, top dressing and the occasional rest, and there is no need to re-sod annually, certainly areas of heavy use may be resodded, but usually ongoing application of annual rye grass seed during the course of a season can reduce the requirements. Good turf management is not that difficult. I cant imagine the Saputo field is being used for anything but the Impact and thus I would be very suprised if annual sod replacement is needed.

^ I did not in any way suggest Saputo Stadium would need resodding every year - yet again you missed my point entirely - try re-reading my post but slowly this time. With no practises, not more than three games a week and closed completely during the cooler/cold weather there is no reason why it should not remain pristine as it is now. My point was that few facilities in Canada can enjoy that extremely low level of utilisation, probably only those that are privately owned and there are not many of those. And as for resodding Commonwealth, a public statement to that effect was made by the local Edmonton authorities after the criticism of the state of the pitch for the last exhibition game there.

Trillium:

If the team is all French -- Speak French. If it all English -- Speak English. If you have both either get someone who speaks both languages or hire two people. Don't pick the location because of language. Pick it because you can play outdoors most of the year and spend the money on the players and not the facility. Please do not call someone dense if they don't get what you are trying to say. I'd like to think you are better than that. Too much name calling on this site. Perhaps everyone should sign up for a Debate Course.

Trillium:

If the team is all French -- Speak French. If it all English -- Speak English. If you have both either get someone who speaks both languages or hire two people. Don't pick the location because of language. Pick it because you can play outdoors most of the year and spend the money on the players and not the facility. Please do not call someone dense if they don't get what you are trying to say. I'd like to think you are better than that. Too much name calling on this site. Perhaps everyone should sign up for a Debate Course.

Your still missing the point a National training centre .. residency call it what you will requires outside services not provided by the CSA .. education oppourtunitys for one, why should a player who speaks french not have access to graduate programs in her language ... if she is part of the player pool ?

Agian its not about language on the pitch heck a coach normally uses very few words anyways.. see Gus Hidinck .. in Russia now before Korea... what language does he use to coach ?

No its about the full range of available services required ..take some time make a list and ask yourslef..what city or cities have such infrasturcture in Canada ?

As to taking courses in debate... usually debates the formal kind have house who renders a decision on who won the debate or not ..this forum is different ...its purpose is not who wins but to deepen discussion and increase knowledge.

Just like when you asked .. who or what is CBF when the phrase was used.

Poor Marta she is playing soccer in a country that doesn't speak Portugese. I would assume that BC does allow people to speak French there and that players could receive at least some services in French. Otherwise any facility would have to be built on an island in the Ottawa River.

What I meant by "debate" training was no name calling, no putting down of other posters. That is not really allowed an it distract from any ideas you might want to get across.

As to the CBF question -- I certainly didn't want to misunderstand you, but CBF is a bit of an affectation (conspicuous artificiality of manner or appearance; effort to attract notice by pretense, assumption, or any assumed peculiarity. )

Poor Marta she is playing soccer in a country that doesn't speak Portugese. I would assume that BC does allow people to speak French there and that players could receive at least some services in French. Otherwise any facility would have to be built on an island in the Ottawa River.

What I meant by "debate" training was no name calling, no putting down of other posters. That is not really allowed an it distract from any ideas you might want to get across.

As to the CBF question -- I certainly didn't want to misunderstand you, but CBF is a bit of an affectation (conspicuous artificiality of manner or appearance; effort to attract notice by pretense, assumption, or any assumed peculiarity. )

1. Marta is playing for pro club outside her country a totally different matter then playing for her country or being in residency program for her National team.

2. CBF was used by someone else.. i brought it up again to illustrate this forum helps to educate those who particpate and are open to learning.

3. BC certainly does allow people to speak french that has never been in question, but does Simon Fraser or UBC have french language graduate or undergrad programs for a student wishing to study in the french language ? and what about other services ?

But leave the debate on this one there for now, I am sure the new CSA president will be addressing the issue after the Olympic cycle, in fact we may end up with a french coach, which would be very interesting.

1. Marta is playing for pro club outside her country a totally different matter then playing for her country or being in residency program for her National team.

2. CBF was used by someone else.. i brought it up again to illustrate this forum helps to educate those who particpate and are open to learning.

3. BC certainly does allow people to speak french that has never been in question, but does Simon Fraser or UBC have french language graduate or undergrad programs for a student wishing to study in the french language ? and what about other services ?

But leave the debate on this one there for now, I am sure the new CSA president will be addressing the issue after the Olympic cycle, in fact we may end up with a french coach, which would be very interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

Norway poised for return to elite (FIFA.com) Wednesday 9 July 2008

The Norwegian women's national team last lifted a major international trophy eight years ago when a 3-2 extra-time win over USA claimed them gold at the 2000 Sydney Olympics, four years after finishing as silver medallists. "It was a unique experience," midfielder Solveig Gulbrandsen recalled in conversation with FIFA.com.

"None of us thought we'd make it all the way, especially after losing our opening match to the USA and failing to win our group. Going on to take the gold medal was an unforgettable experience."

Norwegian hopes of defending their title four years down the line were dashed by their shock failure to qualify for the Women's Olympic Football Tournament Athens 2004, but the Scandinavians travel to Beijing this year as medal favourites along with the likes of Germany and defending champions USA.

The opening game in Group G at the Qinhuangdao Sports Centre on 6 August, when Norway cross swords with the Americans in a re-run of the 2000 final, could set the tone for the rest of the tournament. "Our goal is always to finish among the medals at every tournament. We’re certainly capable of it, which we've shown here in China," commented coach Bjarne Berntsen following his side’s fourth place at the FIFA Women’s World Cup China 2007. "We can be optimistic about the future."

Room for improvement

For all the coach's upbeat tone, fourth in 2007 was a minor disappointment for a nation so accustomed to success. The 1993 and 1987 European champions and 1995 FIFA Women's World Cup winners were many experts' pre-tournament tip for the trophy in China PR. "I think it was a very good tournament where the best teams played to a consistently high standard," Berntsen later reflected.

"But as the tournament went on, it became clear we're not at the same level as the world-class teams, especially if your players aren't world-class in terms of athleticism. We need to be a great deal stronger physically. We're capable of outstanding football as long as we're a physical match for our opponents, but everyone saw how we ran into trouble against the other leading teams."

The Scandinavians favour a high-tempo, short-passing game with the emphasis firmly on attack, the full-backs marauding down the flanks deep into opposition territory at every possible opportunity. "That’s exactly how we like to play it nowadays, and our supporters can expect more of the same," the coach insisted.

"I reckon when most people think of Norway, they think of the tactics we used to use in the past, when we dropped deep, defended in depth and hit long balls forward. We play very differently nowadays," Solveig Gulbrandsen confirmed.

With influential veterans such as Ragnhild Gulbrandsen, Lise Klaveness, Camilla Huse and goalkeeper Bente Nordby retiring from the national team after the 2007 tournament, the 27-year-old is the new star of the side. Gulbrandsen, who plays her club football on home soil for Kolbotn IL, rates as one of her country’s most experienced players with 39 goals in 120 internationals.

The talented playmaker took a year's sabbatical after the birth of her son, Theodor, in June 2006, returning to the national set-up in time for China 2007. She is now keen to accept more responsibility on and off the field. "I want to achieve as much as I can in football. It would be wonderful to win the World Cup, and maybe Olympic gold too," she said.

Immediately on her return to the team, Gulbrandsen slotted into the role of midfield pivot, also showing a prolific eye for goal. At the other end of the experience scale, Norway football watchers have high hopes for 20-year-old forward Isabell Herlovsen, blooded into the senior side at the tender age of 16 and contributor of two goals in Norway’s run to the 2005 European Championship final in England. The national team benefits from Herlovsen going in search of goals at club level alongside Solveig Gulbrandsen for Kolbotn IL.

Leni Larsen Kaurin of Bundesliga outfit Turbine Potsdam is the one member of the 18-strong Norwegian Olympic squad who plies her trade in Germany.

Norway open their pursuit of gold in China against the USA on 6 August, before completing their Group G fixtures against New Zealand on 9 August and Japan on 12 August. The 2000 Olympic gold medallists face a full dress rehearsal for this year’s event on 23 July when reigning world champions Germany visit Sandefjord.

Spearheaded by 27-year-old Solveig Gulbrandsen and starlet Isabell Herlovsen, Norway’s medal dreams could become reality in Beijing.

Even Peleruds Norwegian legacy clearly is tarnished by the current Captians comments... One has to wonder if he can get a job back in Norway with the WNT Captain seemingly calling his drop and defend long ball game ... long past its prime.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Soccer/Canada/2008/07/09/6107776-sun.html

July 9, 2008

Northern exposure

Players want to be seen by Canadians

By GARETH WHEELER -- Sun Media

More games in Canada -- that's the unanimous belief of the players representing our national men's and women's soccer teams.

Before a Beijing tuneup against Brazil tomorrow, star striker Christine Sinclair made it clear there is a shortage of national team games played in Canada.

"Obviously we'd like to play more home games but unfortunately it doesn't look like that will ever happen."

Sinclair was speaking to what head coach Even Pellerud was fighting for last year, when he pushed for Canada to host the CONCACAF Olympic qualifiers.

But the Canadian Soccer Association didn't want to pay upwards of $400,000 for the competition, so the qualifiers went elsewhere. Thus, the CSA passed on a perfect opportunity to showcase its players, and Pellerud decided not to renew his contract.

Sinclair says Pellerud leaving is not a distraction heading into the Olympics, but stressed that the women's team needs a similar character in his place.

"We don't know what the future will hold but hopefully the CSA will hire someone who will continue to fight for our program," Sinclair said.

The women's team has had a hectic schedule over the past couple years, competing in many major women's competitions. However, playing overseas, particularly in Southeast Asia, has given the Canadian public very little opportunity to see the squad.

Even more staggering, the women won't have played a game at Canada's national soccer stadium (BMO Field) until tomorrow, more than 15 months after the facility opened its doors.

Sinclair said the turf is not a deterrent for the players, and that the women are excited to play in the atmosphere for which the stadium is know.

On the other hand, the turf is still an issue for the men's side.

Last week it was announced Canada would only play one of their three World Cup qualifiers in Toronto.

WHERE THE FANS ARE

Canadian and Toronto FC defender Jim Brennan believes games in Canada are all important in developing the profile of the players and growing the popularity of the national team.

"The fans are there," he said. "There's no point in playing one or two national-team games across the country and no one really sees them or knows who the players are."

The men's national side has only played four games on Canadian soil since the beginning of 2006. In comparison, the Americans have already played four games at home in 2008. Any question why American players have become household names and why Canadian players waver in a state of obscurity?

Brennan points to the popularity of Toronto FC; with exposure comes the interest.

"Toronto FC players are recognized all the time. The national team has talented players but no one notices them. The more games we play, the more recognition and support we will get," Brennan said.

Archived