Pellerud confirms he'll be stepping down

The Ref

From what I hear, the CSA has been looking for some time and has at least a couple of people in mind. Pellerud might have been waiting for a contract extension, but it wasn't coming - either he makes it now or CSA makes it later. It doubt that he has anything lined up - his speech looked like a "shout out" for job offers.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As much as we may talk or shall I say dream about a new top flight international coach who's offshore for the WP the bottom line is the CSA has no $.

Having no CSA $ is 1 of the single most taxing issues w/ the WP program....especially the WNT. The new coach will have to know how to use the present CSA system to get any $. They will have to know how to sit down w/ Sports Canada & the COC as that is where the majority of the $ comes from. I don't think any top flight international coach is going to want to walk into the CSA w/ no money as they will want a hassle free & deep budget for their program. As we all know that isn't going to happen w/ the current Suits.

The CSA's budget is reported at 13 million (see recent mens article).

Men get 1 million, women say $500,000 all in. That only leaves $11.5 million. Question: "What are those fools in HQ paying themselves?" and "Where does the rest of it go?" assuming of course, that there is any left.

quote:Originally posted by superfan

The CSA's budget is reported at 13 million (see recent mens article).

Men get 1 million, women say $500,000 all in. That only leaves $11.5 million. Question: "What are those fools in HQ paying themselves?" and "Where does the rest of it go?" assuming of course, that there is any left.

Each year FIFA holds its Congress, this year was Sydney Australia.... The CSA was there ..though I personally have not seen the list of attendees, and i do not believe it has been published who was part of the entourage, but you can assume up to fifteen persons, President, Vice, Directors, Head Admin, Technical at $ 1000 per night plus daily expenses...for five days.

Probably near 400k expenditure to be part of the FIFA family, plus a payment to the Trinidadian travel agency that co-ordinates all FIFA related travel in CONCACAF.... there is part of your money gone.

The rest ?

Its a mystery...probably payments to various persons to help the CSA, the marketing folks...in Toronto... Mrs. Pelerud, ..and others..interesting that provincial govt. publish salarys of those earning more then 100k per annum including police and bus drivers and we dont get to see salary list for CSA staff.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

^ I doubt she has the credentials and certainly she does not have the international coaching experience to be head coach of a senior national team program. My post was intended to be deliberately provocative in light of history on the subject in this forum.

By 'provocative', I guess you mean eschewing the vest to go a daring 2-piece instead of 3-piece?

Hooper is an inspirational choice. Ian Bridge is not.

If Ian Bridge is going to coach like he did at the 2002 U19's then i'm all for him. If he's going to coach like he did at the 2006 U20's, then no thanks.

BYW, anyone know how much we're paying Pellerud per year? I'm guessing a couple hundred K's. Now, can we not get a decent women's coach for that? What are the other countries paying? Australia, Sweden, Brasil, etc. There has to be some competent club coaches in countries with established leagues (like Germany, Sweden) or some Brasilian coach who is probably going to fall assbackwards if he got that much to coach a woman's national team.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

By 'provocative', I guess you mean eschewing the vest to go a daring 2-piece instead of 3-piece?

Hooper is an inspirational choice. Ian Bridge is not.

Hooper simply does not have the coaching credentials even to match those of Ian Bridge, there is no way on earth she is anywhere near qualified for the job. A brilliant player does not automatically mean a brilliant coach, not by any means, and she has zero coaching track record. Furthermore, after her nasty and very public legal challenge of the CSA I doubt her application for the job, if she had the gall to submit one, would even make it out of the CSA mail room.

^ There's probably even less chance they'll call you.

I think Ms Hooper is well aware that she is not qualified for the job and that she has queered her own pitch with her action against the CSA, she is at least smart enough to figure that out. Only the zealots on this board would even consider her a candidate.

quote:

My post was intended to be deliberately provocative in light of history on the subject in this forum.

No, your post was bait so you could slag her again. Seems you can't go a month without publicly trashing her and then following it up with "I have no bias" and "I wish everyone would move on." Geez man, I don't know what she ever did to you, turn down an interview with your website, not sign your shirt or whatever, but man you gotta let it go. The only thing you're doing is embarrassing yourself.

^ No, my post was highlighting the silliness of the previous argument in favour of Ms Hooper as head coach of the WNT program. Seems some of you are still unwilling to let go of that idea and in your irrational zeal slag anybody who points out her unsuitability.

The ones who are embarrassing themselves are those like you who continue, despite all that has transpired, to carry the torch for Ms Hooper as WNT head coach against all odds.

Quite an accusation. OK, let's be Men about this. If you can find one single post of mine here mentioning her as a candidate for coach, then I will never mention her again. And if you can't, then you never mention her again. That sounds fair.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

^ There's probably even less chance they'll call you.

I think Ms Hooper is well aware that she is not qualified for the job and that she has queered her own pitch with her action against the CSA, she is at least smart enough to figure that out. Only the zealots on this board would even consider her a candidate.

I don't go around holding a banner as the overseer of people's qualifications. If you are so sure of Mrs. Hooper's not intending to apply, why are you so worry? why do you feel the need to keep playing your beaten up drum? Give it a rest and relax.

Folks focus on the $ issues as that's what it's all going to be about.

1. Will they have enough $ for the WNT & WP after 2008?

2. Will they have enough to attract a existing CSA or non-CSA coach?

One thing to point about the existing title of Even's is that it's "Women's National Team Head Coach/Women's Program Director" IMO it will be doubtful that anyone will want to step into those shoes to do battle w/ the CSA, get sponsors, to have to juggle $ for the WP & etc as there isn't enough $ to focus only on the teams game & training program.

Btw the $ amount quoted in last seasons WNT interviews put up by the CSA was $150K. The rest came from Sports Canada, COC & hosting countries. Kerfoot & carded monies are outside of the CSA budget.

quote:Originally posted by The Ref

I don't go around holding a banner as the overseer of people's qualifications. If you are so sure of Mrs. Hooper's not intending to apply, why are you so worry? why do you feel the need to keep playing your beaten up drum? Give it a rest and relax.

Richard simply cant get by the fact Hooper and her boycott of the National Team resulted in Peleruds hiring and the upgrading of the WNT program.

He finds it hard to credit her for anything outside his faint praise for her a footballer.

The whys to his animosity cant be really known except by him in his mind and heart, might make a good Masters project for some Psychology student.

Richard will continue to post about Hooper and slag her, hoping that his vitrol will influence the blue blazer crowd who will be choosing the new WNT coach.

On a side note did anyone see the performance by Blatter in the video at FIFA.com when he met the media to talk about the Congress in Sydney.... if you watch and listen ... you see a type of person who clearly thinks the world revolves around him and only him, clearly no democracy at FIFA with him charge. He certainly seemed tickled to have the speaker of the Euro parliament invite him to lunch.. to talk about Euro law and FIFA desires to circumvent free labour movement and replace it with a from of enforced football slavery, i.e. under 18 and move to new country ..no matter its laws about nationality FIFA will only grant football citizenship in new country after five years..i.e. when the youth player becomes twenty three.

quote:Originally posted by The Ref

Those who keep advocating for Ms Hooper as a WNT head coach candidate and patron saint of Canadian soccer are the ones who need to give it a rest. She is history.

Hooper would not be the first ex pro with no or little paper or experience to become a head coach.

Some have done very well and I certainly hope she doesnt join this current crew of crap called the CSA and one day returns to become an integral and important part of the CSA womens team where she belongs. A former World class professional star who has done honourable work for her country and had the courage to change what needed to be changed.

Even though she was the main reason for getting mini-me here she did it for a good reason. I hope when she finds her success it is with Canada but I beleive the CSA, Pellerud and Kerfoot have burnt that bridge.

No I dont.You need to comprehend English.

I did not mention a starting point.

I know who started the fire and I know who the manipulators and the instigators were.

Its not opinion its fact.

Hooper will unfortunately likely not have her success with Canada and that is a disgrace.

The point is she could be as a good a coach as any of the previous coach's with little experience who preceded her.

Archived