Canada - Brazil @ BMO July 10

Vic

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Dandal

The Brazilian FA has announced the player roster for the North American friendlies in July at http://www.cbf.com.br/sitenoticias/_846519342008625.html. No Sweden based players (Marta, Cristiane, Daniela).

Perhaps the CSA will be smart and ask that Ana Paula http://www.anapaulaoliveira.com.br/ be appointed she has just passed her physical tests for FIFA and CBF to move into referee status for womens games internationally, here in Brasil.

Seriously how many Canadian referees have their own popular web sites ? Let alone female referees..

Heck she is sponsored by Umbro that should help convince the Blazer boys...

lastest news ( adapted text original below )

Ana Paula is back in the picture with Fifa, Ana Paula de Oliveira ( Bandeirinha ) obtained this thursday (26) her return to the list of assistants of Fifa to work in games of womens soccer. Bandeirinha faced a hard test to pass. First, Ana Paula had to complete six sprints of 20m, each one in less of 6,4s. After that, the assistant gave to others 20 runs of 150m, with the maximum time of 35s for each one of them.

Now, the goal of Ana Paula is to pass the test of the Fifa to come back control the whistle in mens games of the CBF.

According to Ana Paula, the test can only be completed only in 2009.

I am very happy, but of the one but always want to improve. Now I go to work to pass the mens test, that is requirement of the CBF - the Bandeirinha commented, that until then she can will whistle only feminine games of the CBF.

Criticized it has a year ago, when she did not pass test, Ana Paula guarantees that never more she will have physical problems: They had questioned my physical condition. I found that it was unjust, because I was suffering the injury in the leg. For this reason I did not obtain to make those tests.

Now, While voices to hear to speak on Ana Paula about soccer, I will not have more problems with physical tests.

Ana Paula está de volta ao quadro da Fifa

Ana Paula de Oliveira conseguiu nesta quinta-feira (26) seu retorno ao quadro de assistentes da Fifa para trabalhar em partidas de futebol feminino. A bandeirinha enfrentou uma prova dura para passar.

Primeiro, Ana Paula teve que dar seis tiros de 20m, cada um em menos de 6,4s. Em seguida, a assistente deu outros 20 tiros de 150m, com o tempo máximo de 35s para cada um deles.

Agora, a meta de Ana Paula é passar no teste da Fifa para voltar a apitar jogos masculinos da CBF. Segundo ela, a prova deve ser realizada apenas em 2009.

Estou muito feliz, mas dá para melhorar. Agora vou trabalhar para buscar o masculino, que é exigência da CBF - comemorou a bandeira, que até lá poderá apitar apenas jogos femininos da CBF.

Criticada há um ano atrás, quando não conseguiu passar nesse mesmo teste desta quinta, Ana Paula garante que nunca mais terá problemas físicos:

Questionaram muito minha condição física. Achei que foi injusto, porque estava apta até sofrer a lesão na perna. Por esse motivo não consegui fazer aquelas provas. Agora, Enquanto vocês ouvirem falar sobre Ana Paula no futebol, não terei mais problemas com testes físicos.

I've only ever been to one WNT match and it was the 2-0 friendly win in Kingston over Australia. In fact it was the first pro soccer match I'd ever seen. That game was sold out with 10,000 people in Richardson Stadium. I unfortunately can't get to this one either, but I was just wondering what is the interest across Canada from the average fan. I mean will there be a lot of people at the match? And will the people be coming out for a fun day or will they actually have some idea of who the players are?

^ i think 1-1 is a fair result, ball movement by brazil was great, canada played very good but on few occations looked very maive. and they should stop kicking ball upfield all the time, some possession and ball movement would be great. good job by the both teams.

Great hard fought game tonight.

Brazil came on late with a goal post then a goal. Sinclair had a couple of excellent opportunities in the second half as well. And by far the most spectacular player on the field was Brazil's #7.

Melissa Tancredi broke her nose early in the second half but Canada scored with ten players before we even had a chance to make a substitution. Timko came on and did a fine job. Lang got her act together in the second half as well. Diane Matheson was one of our strongest players as well as #6 Schmidt in the midfield. But the player that impressed me a lot was Rhian Wilkinson. In previous attempts Rhian has looked mediocre on team Canada. However, the Pellerud now looks like a genius for converting the former Ottawa Fury striker to an outside defender. Rhian is a natural striker so it adds a new dimension to the back four having a flank defender with the touch to launch the attack and pinch in with the occasional run. The worst move of the game was taking off Schmidt in the midfield midway in the second half, replacing her with a very out of place looking #3, it almost cost us the game.

I like this Canadian lineup, almost all good Canadian Girls with deep Canadian roots. Thats why true Canadians cheer more for this team than the men's team. They are us!

Just finished watching the game. I watched on T.V. so I'd love to hear the opinions of people who were actually at the game, but this is what I saw:

-Nice finish from Sinclair, she scores a lot but I never think she is playing that well until she scores. A bit of the Peter Crouch syndrome - Cristine I'm very sorry for comparing you to Crouch

-Cristine gave a Brazilian defender the finger :)

-Matheson is a class player. Fast, and works very hard really enjoyed seeing her play tonight

-Our best chances (with the exception of the goal) seemed to come from our limited amount of build-up plays where we brought the ball through the midfield

-I can't wait for Pellarud to leave and get a coach who lets the girls play football not kick and run

-I know a lot of the tickets were given away to clubs, but it was still nice to see an okay attendance on a week night

Good look in China girls!

Allez les Rouges!

quote: like this Canadian lineup, almost all good Canadian Girls with deep Canadian roots. Thats why true Canadians cheer more for this team than the men's team. They are us!

Not really sure what you're trying to get at here? FYI - current expected men's national team is nearly all Canadian born - though it might not meet your self(ish?)-defined "deep Canadian roots" standards.

Anyway, it isn't about cheering for the women means you can't support the men. I was at yesterday's game and will be at Canada/Jamaica. Both are true Canadian teams.

But I would say the support for the men's team is much more passionate than it is for the women. Though that is in part due to the inherent gap between women and men in all types of sports.

Just because the men's games isn't all Canadian support isn't a reflection of the lack of support of the men's team, it just shows the real passion of football fans around the world. For example, if yesterday's game was Brazil/Canada men's, you would have more than a handful of Brazilian support that showed up yesterday. Maybe the support is only not there amongst your so-called "true Canadians".

If you don't believe all of this, go to Canada/Jamaica on Aug 20th for a first hand comparison.

Sinclair's finger waving was a good example of a player who has confidence. I for one wish that more 'attitude' was displayed at times by both teams, though with CONCACAF reffing you never quite know what will happen, at least with the men. Sometimes you have to stir things up a bit to get your team going, though that was not necessarily the reasoning behind Sinclair's actions.

PEACH

I went to the game, it was enjoyable, I think Canada was blessed with decent result, but clearly Brasil has better on ball talent and skills numerous four to seven passing build ups to a final penetration.

Although Sinclair scored, I do not think she was large factor in the game Diane Matheson was more important to Canada then Sinclair, Lang seems improved she is trying to do things with the ball at speed, Sinclair still is painfully slow in front of the net, she cannot turn the ball effectivly. She did miss a open net with the failure to square her body and lay in simple ball instead she blasted it wide, her body half turned hips and shoulders out of alignment, by now Pelerud should have had that trained out of her.

On free kick I think we had eight in wall when six would do and we should have had two back on the posts.. Brasil almost scored, other times we did not have players coming back to cover goal line for the keeper... things I attribute to the coach, simple basic failures which will hurt us in big games in China.

I was surprised Pelerud wore a white tie and did not have on a red one... someone might want to tell him red is strong colour and a national colour the white tie looked impotent. Its clear he looks very dour and at times disinterested, he only seemed to talk to Sinclair and Lang, no one else, ( except the player whose nose was hurt/broken ). The players seem to relate to Ian Bridge more, i dont know if that is the plan to have him take over or not, but certainly the players react with smiles near him when he talks and directs etc.

And yes i was sitting just behind the Canada bench.. six rows up so good sight lines to see the interactions.

Other random comments...

I liked the stadium, security seemed a bit over the top far too many Toronto police and security for the event someone needs to do a better analyis. The CSA should allow banners at its games, TFC can do its thing and ban them as the signs say but the CSA needs to let fans bring CAnada banners and flags.

Is it not time the fans wearing club colours ... stop and come to the game in national jerseys not team jerseys from the club they play for ?

An aside to Richard, i hope you never see the photos Sony was taking of the girls on the various teams ( Oshawa Turuls for example ) you would be shocked how they posed and vamped for Sony at the photo tent.

I liked the stadium and access it was easy to get to .. from the East, beer ten bucks for a tall boy at my seat was .. a bit high but it was cold so no real complaints.. the peanuts have too much salt...lots of concessions and variety so well done on that.

It was good to see the U17 girls who will go to Trinidad at the game, seated in 123, row six and five and that the CSA President spend significant time talking to the players after the game urging them to do well, he also talked to the coaches ... about the importance for the CSA to have more bilingual coaches, in fact he discussed the learning of two languages with number of the girls as he asked where they were from, for me it was very very interesting confirmation of the CSA interest to use french more and ensure the coaching staff has two language capability. ( Terpfan if you dont believe me write him or the girls on the U17 team they will tell you what was said. )

The U17 girls seem like a good bunch .. some are a bit reserved, it will be interesting to see how they cope with Trinidad, the group is very diverse so that will be good, i hope the CSA is doing work to ensure they get good media coverage in Trinidad in order to develop the public profile of the players who will clearly be a core of the next wave of National players.

quote:Originally posted by Trillium

I was surprised Pelerud wore a white tie and did not have on a red one... someone might want to tell him red is strong colour and a national colour the white tie looked impotent.

On the Voyageurs board not only do you get heated debate on the issues affecting Canadian soccer but also you can get fashion tips!:D. From your description it looks like Bridge plays the "good cop" to Pellerud's "bad cop."

quote:Originally posted by standfortruecanada

I like this Canadian lineup, almost all good Canadian Girls with deep Canadian roots. Thats why true Canadians cheer more for this team than the men's team. They are us!

That's some pretty ignorant bs ...

Archived