Hemming on trial

loyola

According to this post on BigSoccer the club is Hammarby, and you can add Tosaint Ricketts and the Erin Mills/Detroit Ignition kid - Vassapour to that list.

http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showpost.php?p=14654839&postcount=102

"Three Canadian players on trial for Swedish Premier League (Allsvenskan) team Hammarby.

- Tyler Hemming

- Vahid Assadpour

- Tosaint Ricketts

Hammarby is based in Stockholm, Sweden and are in part owned by US conglomerate Anschutz Entertainment Group. At present, US U23 international Charlie Davies is part of the squad. We've had no Canadians before, though."

Well, great news to see two other names (specially Ricketts) to that list. Good luck to them.

I'm currently in Sweden, I'm going to check where Hammarby is training, maybe I can catch a reserve game or something...

Is Ricketts going pro ahead of time then? Interesting to see that he's there. Perhaps Tyler Hemming put a word in his ear about the prospects with TFC for young Canucks coming out of college.

Good news for the players, especially Hemming hopefully for their sakes they are able to make the team.

Not been on the usector board for about six months so either great minds think alike or fools seldom differ as the sayings go. Hammarby would be good as they are usually one of Sweden's bigger clubs just as AIK Stockholm would have been good in Rosenlund's case. Dropping a division in Nordic terms is not necessarily a smart move.

In my interview with Andrew Ornoch, he specifically mentions Vahid as a player to look out for. Pretty cool to see his name pop up like this again. I had never heard of him.

quote:Who would you say is the most talented up and coming player in Canada that you have played with?

Canada is a huge country, and it has some wonderful talent throughout. I have only played in Ontario, Toronto specifically. Canada has a lot of up and coming talent, one of which is the most talented and hard working player I have played with in PSA, Erin Mills, and Detroit, Vahid Assadpour of the MISL´s Detroit Ignition. He is currently trying his luck in Europe, and I am confident that sooner or later he will sign in Europe and have a bright professional career.

One or two of these guys should be able to make the squad. I mean, Hammarby signed Charlie Davies and had the patience to wait until close to the end of the season before he scored his first goal, and I think Ricketts is a little more consistent.

quote:Originally posted by torontofc

In my interview with Andrew Ornoch, he specifically mentions Vahid as a player to look out for. Pretty cool to see his name pop up like this again. I had never heard of him.

Ah, I was wondering where I had heard about Assadpour before, this must have been it.

As for their prospects for making the squad, well Hemming may have a shot as a defender. I've no idea what Assadpour's position is, if he's like Tyler Rosenlund and is a creative midfielder he may find it difficult - Rosenlund's claim was that he was totally useless on the pitch in Sweden because they kept by-passing the midfield with their long balls out of the back for the strikers to run on to. So Ricketts may have a chance - he may not be the biggest target forward, but on the other hand he's got the speed to track those long balls down.

• 3 weeks later...

Many positives to see that Canadians are again in football Sweden.

Although ranked poorly (28th!) among other european leagues, the Allsvenska is a high quality, well funded league that both hones young talent and also maintains quality internation players (4 of whom began in Sweden's starting 11 of tonight's match vs. Greece - Henrik Larsson, Anders Svensson, Niklas Alexandersson, Daniel Andersson)

Hammarby is a great club for young players and a genuinely good club

Few examples:

-they did a Barca and opted for UNICEF as main logo on their kits.

-Söderstadion is by far the best atmosphere for a match in Sweden (intimate pitch with 12000 fans)

-Their developmental team Hammarby TFF is unique in Sweden. It is for those players who've left the junior level but are still not ready for the A-team. Instead of being loaned out to local clubs (outside Hammarby's system), they play and develop for HTFF (Hammarby talent football assoc.). 8 of Hammarby's current A-Team players graduated from HTFF.

quote:Originally posted by jamonty

Many positives to see that Canadians are again in football Sweden.

Although ranked poorly (28th!) among other european leagues, the Allsvenska is a high quality, well funded league that both hones young talent and also maintains quality internation players (4 of whom began in Sweden's starting 11 of tonight's match vs. Greece - Henrik Larsson, Anders Svensson, Niklas Alexandersson, Daniel Andersson)

Hammarby is a great club for young players and a genuinely good club

Few examples:

-they did a Barca and opted for UNICEF as main logo on their kits.

-Söderstadion is by far the best atmosphere for a match in Sweden (intimate pitch with 12000 fans)

-Their developmental team Hammarby TFF is unique in Sweden. It is for those players who've left the junior level but are still not ready for the A-team. Instead of being loaned out to local clubs (outside Hammarby's system), they play and develop for HTFF (Hammarby talent football assoc.). 8 of Hammarby's current A-Team players graduated from HTFF.

Thanks for that. Tyler Hemming's trial was not successful and he has returned to Toronto FC (reported today). Do you have any news on the other two Canadians who were on trial (Tousaint Ricketts and Vahid Assadpour)?

The transfer window in Sweden re-openned June 1 (if I'm not mistaken) and many a team were/are entertaining new, and often unproven, talent. Besides the three Canucks there was a journeyman Swede (35 yr old Fredrik Söderström) and a Portuguese guy named Paolo Monteiro on trial with Hammarby.

This quote from a May 24th article sounds positive for Ricketts.

"Av den gångna veckans gäster har kanadensiske anfallaren Toisant Rickets uppmärksammats. Han var snabbast av alla när laget fystestades i tisdags.

- Han bekräftar fysiken vi hört talas om, det är en spelare med unik spänst och snabbhet, säger Gustavsson. Det var nästan värre, i positiv bemärkelse förstås. Sedan är han lite oskolad både tekniskt och taktiskt."

-rough translation-

Among this week's guests, he (Ricketts) stood out. He was quickest of all participants in the team's physical training tests, conducted Tuesday (May 20th).

Quoting coach Gustavsson "He confirmed the physical assets I'd heard about, he's a player with unique flexibility and quickness. It was almost awful, in a positive way of course. Then, he also was a bit un-schooled in both technique and tactics."

Unfortunately:

I dagsläget verkar det inte aktuellt att skriva kontrakt med någon den gångna veckans gästspelare. Samtidigt hoppas cheftränaren på tillskott under sommaren i anfallet, innermittfältet och mittbacken.

At present, it does not look realistic to write any contracts with any of the players attending the camp. At the same time, the head coach is still seeking talent at striker, inside midfield and midback during the summer.

http://www.hammarbyfotboll.se/se/aktuellt/artiklar/?articleid=32266

^

Is there even any question of that? It is obvious to me that Cdns coming out of NCAA still have to (and can) learn a lot. That is why a player like Friend only starts to emerge as a star after getting down to basics in Europe for a couple of seasons. Watch for the same from players like Riley O'Neill and, if he can find a spot, Tousaint Ricketts.

quote:Originally posted by red card

add in irony since Ricketts actually went to school to play soccer - shows how far NCAA has to go vs European developmental leagues.

You can't put the blame on the NCAA for the players technique since they are getting there at 18 or 19 yrs old. But I would agree the tactics is sometimes very poor, specially since our guys are playing in big conferences.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

^

Is there even any question of that? It is obvious to me that Cdns coming out of NCAA still have to (and can) learn a lot. That is why a player like Friend only starts to emerge as a star after getting down to basics in Europe for a couple of seasons. Watch for the same from players like Riley O'Neill and, if he can find a spot, Tousaint Ricketts.

That's what I'm hoping to see from Josh Simpson now that he's had a somewhat full season in Germany under his belt: a player who can channel his excellent athletic ability into a more consistent performance, improving his decision making with regards to pass/play selections. I don't want to see that guy who played for us in left midfield vs SA last November.

Hammarby is also home to US player Charlie Davies (I believe he might have played for their u23 team). He too got the same knock from Hammarby coaches for lousy technique and vision of the game. His first season was rather disasterous and only now has he begun to catch up.

I suspect most Canadian juniors (under 22-ish) will be much of the same. Our base knowledge for the game needs to be taught sooner (ie. ages 7 - 13)

Archived