Canada to host the 2009 Gold Cup?

loyola

That's what FIFA says on their website:

http://www.fifa.com/confederationcup/intro/

"The first CONCACAF Gold Cup was held in 1991 in the United States. It replaced the CCCF Championship (1941-1961) and the CONCACAF Championship (1963-1971). The participating teams are from North and Central America and the Caribbean Islands but the tournament has been dominated by Mexico and USA. Both countries have also hosted the Gold Cup but this will change in 2009, when Canada stages the next edition."

quote:Originally posted by loyola

That's what FIFA says on their website:

http://www.fifa.com/confederationcup/intro/

"The first CONCACAF Gold Cup was held in 1991 in the United States. It replaced the CCCF Championship (1941-1961) and the CONCACAF Championship (1963-1971). The participating teams are from North and Central America and the Caribbean Islands but the tournament has been dominated by Mexico and USA. Both countries have also hosted the Gold Cup but this will change in 2009, when Canada stages the next edition."

Thats great news. There is no reason to believe that it cant be a success in canada. When you really think about it, the demographics and other factors that make the Gold Cup viable in the current US cities, also exist in Canada. the only problem with the 2009 edition, is that it occurrs right in middle of WCQ ( hex). That takes a lot of steam out of the event.

quote:Originally posted by N-A

Thats interesting hope Fifa has got this correct. Has Concacaf mentioned yet who the host country is for 2009 yet?

It really needs to move around...which, of course, makes me think it never will.

One of the reasons it's argued that the tournament must be played in the U.S. all the time is because it is felt that the U.S. is the only country in CONCACAF where reasonable crowds can be expected to show up for all matches (the ex-pat factor). I'll actually make the argument that Canada would have better attendance, as the ex-pats here haven't grown accustomed to having the tournament every couple years--they would view it as a great chance to see their national team play.

Sadly, you know there would be a sizable amount of self-hating 22-year-olds that would jump in their Civics and make the 40 min drive down to BMO from Brampton to support the homeland against Canada. And, it will be reported that the "majority" of the crowd supported (insert central American country here), even though the actual support was about 10 per cent.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

the only problem with the 2009 edition, is that it occurrs right in middle of WCQ ( hex). That takes a lot of steam out of the event.

...which is another reason why the Gold Cup should be held every fourth summer. I'd suggest the years immediately after the World Cup (It would avoid a conflict with the EUROS and Olympics).

Actually, what I really want is for there to be a Tournament of the Americas--North and South America--to run at the same time (or a month after) as the EUROS, with qualification taking place the year before...but I ain't holding my breath...

quote:Originally posted by MediaGuy

Actually, what I really want is for there to be a Tournament of the Americas--North and South America--to run at the same time (or a month after) as the EUROS, with qualification taking place the year before...but I ain't holding my breath...

Yeah. that has been brought up at other times and, I agree, it would be the ideal sceanrio. Though, I believe through past discussions on this topic, that it was revealed that the actual resistance to this concept or idea is not from the South american federations but rather Concacaf. I think they ( Conmebol) are actaully the ones who embrace this concept. If this is all true, then I am at a total loss as to what the hangup would be for Jack Warner and Concacaf

quote:Originally posted by Loud Mouth Soup

India, Pakistan, and Bangladesh are in CONCACAF now?

I always use Brampton as an example of 905ville. To be fair, many of the above mentioned sorts will take the subway into the game from the 416 too. Some may even walk. I still maintain that most will drive Honda Civics and attend York part-time.

quote:Originally posted by Loud Mouth Soup

India, Pakistan, and Bangladesh are in CONCACAF now?

I always use Brampton as an example of 905ville. To be fair, many of the above mentioned sorts will take the subway into the game from the 416 too. Some may even walk. I still maintain that most will drive Honda Civics and attend York part-time.

Lets say we use BMO, SS and Commonwealth. Id say Canada should be in Edmonton since Edmonton will draw the smallest number of Caribbean fans. Toronto most likely will draw fans from anywhere. Montreal could have Haiti/US, Im not sure what other nationalities would draw well in Montreal. We all know putting Jamaica, Mexico or Costa Rica in Toronto would sell out.

quote:Originally posted by piltdownman

I thought the tournament was still going to be based in the states, but Canada's group would be hosted at BMO. Kinda the same way that Mexico and the USA have co-hosted it a few times. If attendance is good, this could lead to us hosting the whole thing in the future.

this is a plausible scenario

I think Jamaica and Mexico would sell quite well here but Costa Rica? That was done and they had a few hundred maybe. Trinidad would be a more suitable sell here in Toronto.

The real question has to be how many Americans will show up? My guess is not that many

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

the only problem with the 2009 edition, is that it occurrs right in middle of WCQ (hex). That takes a lot of steam out of the event.

I hope poor attendance for a watered down event in 2009 wouldn't prejudice any chances of hosting in 2011. Maybe Vancouver will have a proper soccer stadium by then.

quote:Originally posted by MediaGuy

...which is another reason why the Gold Cup should be held every fourth summer. I'd suggest the years immediately after the World Cup (It would avoid a conflict with the EUROS and Olympics).

The Copa America practically is a Tournament of the Americas since they invite the top two CONCACAF teams. There isn't much motivation to expand it any further. Canada just needs to win the Gold Cup again to get another invitation.

Archived