Kent O'Connor on trial with Blackpool

From CBC's webiste U-20 player profiles:

Kent O'Connor, Defender

O'Connor, who plays with the 1860 Munich youth team in Germany, is technically very sound, aggressive and quick with both feet. Born in Australia but raised in British Columbia, O'Connor first played for Canada's U-20 team at the 2006 Porto International tournament.

Is he still attached to 1850 at all?

quote:Originally posted by ag futbol

From CBC's webiste U-20 player profiles:

Kent O'Connor, Defender

O'Connor, who plays with the 1860 Munich youth team in Germany, is technically very sound, aggressive and quick with both feet. Born in Australia but raised in British Columbia, O'Connor first played for Canada's U-20 team at the 2006 Porto International tournament.

Is he still attached to 1850 at all?

No. He was released by them.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
quote:Originally posted by united717

Anyone hear anything yet?

Wouldn't it be ironic? Andy Welsh was recently sold from TFC to Blackpool. Welsh is 24 and was pretty much the unanimous whipping boy by TFC supporters for bad performance and I dont disagree with that sentiment. But imagine if the acquisition of Welsh ends up costing a canadian a job at Blackpool.

I know that the two are totally different type of players and play different positions. But, a budget is a budget and professional opportunities is often a numbers game.

Blackpool played Hull City in CCC action over the weekend (shown on Setanta)

and no sign of Welsh nor O'Connor on the pitch or on the bench.

O'Connor played with the reserves in a 3-1 loss to Burnley on the

29th of August.

http://www.blackpoolfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/ReservesMatchReports/0,,10432~1101991,00.html

Welsh will likely play on the 15th against Burnley:

http://www.blackpoolfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10432~1105777,00.html

I've been trying to follow his progress there and I don't think he got picked up. The reports for the games where all the trialists played were generally critical of them, saying that none of them shone.

Since then he hasn't dressed for any reserve games nor has been mentioned on their OS. I doubt he got picked up.

Edit: Redhat, are you assuming that the "Trialist" in the lineup is O'Connor or are you reading that somewhere else? I don't think that would be a safe assumption as O'Connor was one of 5 or 6 trialists when he was brought in. That would also constitute a month-long trial which seems a little excessive. Although I might be wrong.

quote:Originally posted by El Hombre

Redhat, are you assuming that the "Trialist" in the lineup is O'Connor or are you reading that somewhere else? I don't think that would be a safe assumption as O'Connor was one of 5 or 6 trialists when he was brought in. That would also constitute a month-long trial which seems a little excessive. Although I might be wrong.

The reserve game on Aug 29th against Burnley lists him playing 90.

Maybe he made it ...http://www.blackpoolfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/ReservesMatchReports/0,,10432~1101991,00.html

quote:Originally posted by El Hombre

There's an O'Connor in the Burnley lineup but not in the Blackpool lineup. The Burnley O'Connor is J O'Connor.

You're right, I read the article wrong. The inexperienced team the

article referred to was Burnley's and they had an O'Connor, but

not Canadian. My apologies.

• 3 months later...

On the street car ride to the Chile game at the u-20s I was sitting beside Kent's family. His parents and brother, nice people. I was talking to them for about 15 min about the game before they told me who they were. Anyways love to here that he could get some time at a new club.

quote:Originally posted by Joe MacCarthy

HajdukSplit at Xtratime is reporting that Kent O'Connor is on trial with Hajduk Split. Maybe a Croation reader can make sense of these links as the translations aren't very good.

http://slobodnadalmacija.hr/20071130/sport02.asp

Address of team website

http://www.hnkhajduk.hr/

I can translate it...(I was born here but am fluent in Croatian though I might miss the meaning of some words).

Kent O'Connor is a 21 year old candidate for a new spot on the team. He had his first training sessions and looked satisfactory, although team officials aren't saying anything, it's too early. He's here and it'll be seen how he performs.

The blond-haired representative of Canada with the Irish last name is easily recognized among his fellow players. At first glance, it's easy to tell which face goes with the last name O'Connor and you would be correct. Don't boast! But will he satisfy the ambitions for left back?

- I'd like to, I'm here to try to stay here, it's been agreed that I'm here on trial until the 8th of December.

Polite and communicative, he's adapted quickly and we caught up with him for a few words.

- Yes, I know that Hajduk is a big club and that not just anyone can get a trial here. Franjo Pasalic, who from Munich directed me to Hajduk, has definitely helped me a lot. I am staying with him, in the marina of Frapa, in Rogoznica (we helped him with the names of the places, he had trouble pronouncing them).

It's pretentious to ask him what he knows about Split, he only know s a few things. But that young member of the Canadian U-20 team is quickly gaining his first experiences in the Adriatic.

- Oh yes, I had difficulty with seafood yesterday. It must be that I ate too much, overate, and didn't react well. I was broken yesterday, but still trained. I feel much better today!

The team has accepted him, they're used to foreigners and passerbys, and some of them got their chance with the team exactly that way. Here to stay.

- I played for the U-20 Canadian team, I'm actually from Vancouver, and I was at Munich 1860. From Munich, I'm coming to Hajduk to try to help the team, and for the team to help me. If you're asking for damage, there is none [i don't understand this next part]

We mention that Hajduk played in Vancouver in the early 80s, and on that far stadium, coach Pero Nadoveza succeeded in victory playing against the real Manchester United and the Vancouver Whitecaps.

- Really? I didn't know, that was before I was born. I did however know that there is a strong Croatian community in Vancouver, and Nick Dasovic, who has Croatian roots, is a trainer on the Canadian national team. Croatia? Well, the whole world is talking about how you defeated England at Wembley. It was very nice!

Kent O’ Connor, will we write him in the books for the trophy this spring with so many others who have represented Hajduk to the league championship?

•• That's what's happening at Hajduk, a foreigner fell from the sky, it's hard to figure out what's what. The director of the team, Tomislav Erceg is swearing that Kent is not in his already decided in the annointed Erceg 12 [no idea what that means]. In fact, Erceg is underlining a very lengthy list of new names waiting for the green light [from the government to come to train maybe?]

- A long list? There's that many? Where did you hear that, in a cafe? - laughs Erceg. - No, O'Connor is not on it, this is the first time I've heard of him, I have no idea. Let the guy try out, maybe he's good.

How did he get here?

- Franjo Pasalic from Munich called Fiorentinij(?) and asked him if the young player could show up at training. Fio said to me, tell Jarni you've got a young guy coming over for training. He's staying in Frapa. Okay, let's see him...

The fictional character Connor saved the world in Terminator, can O'Connor raise Hajduk even a crumb? Or will he go back to where he came from on the 8th of December?

Archived