Where should Canada play WCQs?

gkhs

I think the most depressing thing about the two Canadian games (disasters) in u-20 has been that both venues/crowds were terrible.

As a Torontonian I feel qualified to say that the match in Toronto was disheartening. As always, a Canadian team played an away match in Toronto. As much as I would like to think that we could replicate the TFC exprerience for CMNT, I can't think of a single CONCACAF opponent (aside from the USA) who couldn't count on good support in TO.

As a person with eyes and ears I feel qualified to say that Edmonton had a terrible showing last night. Even if I grant that my eyes deceived (and that the crowd was mostly camera-side), Commonwealth was a mausoleum. You could hear a pin drop from minute 1 through 90.

The question. Is there a venue in Canada that is any better?

Edmonton

pros; good stadium, amazing crowds in 94 and 02

cons; disappointing crowds/atmosphere for u-20

Toronto

pros; good stadium, great football culture

cons; seemingly endless supply of away supporters

Montreal

pros; solid football culture

cons; lack an ideal venue

Ottawa

pros; stadium/crowds look good for u-20s

cons; football culture?

Vancouver

pros; solid football culture, weather for spring/fall

cons; lack an ideal venue

If I had to speculate, I would say that 2014 qualifying will be split between: a new stadium in Vancouver (?), for games early and late in the year; Toronto, for games not involving the most locally popular away teams; and, Saputo (?) in Montreal.

But 2010 looks to me like it will feature more crap crowds and/or crap venues. Does anyone strongly disagree?

(Anyone else curious about Frank Clair? I imagine its free 360+ days a year)

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, the Canada/Chile match was disheartening. But look at the Canada/Argentina match. There was a lot of Argentina support, but it never got a chance to get going. At that game, we had the organization to control the cheering. The numbers for the Chile game weren't much different. The difference was that we (against our wishes) were scattered throughout the stadium.

quote:If I had to speculate, I would say that 2014 qualifying will be split between: a new stadium in Vancouver (?), for games early and late in the year; Toronto, for games not involving the most locally popular away teams; and, Saputo (?) in Montreal.

I'm not sure that there will be a new stadium in Vancouver by 2014. If there is you won't get a different atmosphere than the Canada game that was recently held in Toronto. It will be the same as the last two WCQ's at Swangard except for larger crowds, with more security to cater to the visiting supporters and to put the Canadian supporters in their place.

quote:Originally posted by gkhs

And who's to say that that wouldn't happen again?

No one. I don't think I said anywhere that it couldn't.

However, every possible effort is being made with the CSA to ensure that it doesn't happen again. We'll see in September, I guess.

For chrissakes give us a game on the East Coast.

If RAP in Victoria can be expanded, so can St.Mary's in Halifax, UNBSJ (Canada Games) in Saint John, King George V in St. John's and the new stadium in Moncton will be open by then.

Now a WCQ game would be nice game for the long promised replacement for the U-17 CONCACAF Tourney that was moved from Saint John to Mexico. CSA at the time promised Soccer NB a replacement for giving into Mexico.

By the geezus start including the East Coast. How do we know how'll it sell 'till we try!

There are direct flights to the East Coast from Europe for our players abroad ya know;)

I would avoid the west at all costs - simply becuase of the travel issue with our European players. You saw that in the last cycle.

The east coast would be good. I think a temporary structure could go up and the fans would be ours.

On balance, though, I think Toronto is the place - best stadium and reasonable for travel. The trick will be ticket sales. I would offer up tickets to all TFC season holders before the general sale. That could, I think, mitigate support for the other teams.

Toronto in February, March or November seems a little unlikely. Also, TFC scheduling will likely play some role, won't it?

It better not. Or at least not be stated so publicly. TFC are NOT the primary tennent at The National Stadium and their schedule will have to accomodate even the potential of a date being required by the MNT. Which in all honesty shouldn't be that difficult.

Not worrying about the WNT.

It would be nice if they could have a game in St. John's. Why the hell not? Our best success was made there.

Personally I would prefer Montreal over Toronto, but really the CSA will pick the National Soccer Stadium.

quote:Originally posted by redhat

It would be nice if they could have a game in St. John's. Why the hell not? Our best success was made there.

Personally I would prefer Montreal over Toronto, but really the CSA will pick the National Soccer Stadium.

Why do I wanna puke every time I hear the the phrase........

"National Soccer Stadium"

Please help with therapy to get over this:(:(:(:(:(:(

quote:Originally posted by SF

On balance, though, I think Toronto is the place - best stadium and reasonable for travel. The trick will be ticket sales. I would offer up tickets to all TFC season holders before the general sale. That could, I think, mitigate support for the other teams.

That's been mentioned before and it's such a no brainer. It's not labour heavy and while it doesn't guarentee anything it would be hugely helpfull for our cause and all it takes is *snap*, and it's done.

Maybe it wasn't possible under the ticket distribution scheme for the U20s because of FIFA's involvement I don't know, but for Canada's WCQs it'll be all the CSA's party so they can call the shots.

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

Maybe it wasn't possible under the ticket distribution scheme for the U20s because of FIFA's involvement I don't know, but for Canada's WCQs it'll be all the CSA's party so they can call the shots.

I would wager that FIFA regulations were the obstacle on that...I just hope that CSA wouldn't have a similar regulations against partnering with club teams in that way. Unfortunately I have a feeling they might well. Simply because if something is pointlessly counter-productive, CSA has probably thought of it and implemented it as policy.

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

That's been mentioned before and it's such a no brainer. It's not labour heavy and while it doesn't guarentee anything it would be hugely helpfull for our cause and all it takes is *snap*, and it's done.

The thing is that Hondurans in Toronto will grab up tickets long before most Canadians will even figure out there is a game to be played. It's not something that would be solved by offering them to TFC fans first, IMHO, as only a small percentage would be sold in this manner before they go out to the general public. It's not like Canada's games sell out on the first day like some hot music concert. Canada's fans just can't be bothered to be first in line (on the phones or online either), although they may start to get interested much closer to the game dates, when it's too late to stop the stadium being half (or more than half) full with opposition supporters. I also don't think for a second that the strong TFC crowds will translate into 20,000 showing up to cheer on Canada vs El Salvador. Not for a second. I hope to hell I am made to eat my words, though.

quote:Originally posted by villus

Never ever Edmonton after that piss poor display of fan support yesterday.

Here we go...let him have it boys. :)

I think, someday Edmonton might be the third or fourth choice venue, but considering its capacity I can't imagine CSA abandoning it completely.

quote:Originally posted by villus

Never ever Edmonton after that piss poor display of fan support yesterday.

Ouch that hurts. But unfortunately it sure looked that way, even from section D last night. We dressed in red, drummed, clapped and chanted for the entire game and were acutely aware that we were the only ones, save for a small group across the stands. The cheering section was arranged with the CSA a year ago, and they made no attempt to put us on the camera side or coordinate with CBC to put a mic near us, both which would have been smart moves for optics. They also had a good 5000 Canadian fans lined up for tickets through the first half, but that's another rant for now.

I brought my parents with the rain checks from the Czech friendly, they sat in the upper deck at the other end of the field, and they told me they could distinctly here me booing after any bad calls. That indicates how quiet the crowd was.

The fact is Edmonton has the best football stadium in Canada but not the fan support to fill it. I selfishly hope we get qualifyers so I can be there, but I have to agree after last nights showing Commonwealth leaves a lot to be desired as venue.

Turning on the TV and seeing a barren commonwealth made me want to puke. There wasn't too much urgency or passion in our players and it doesn't help with an empty, quiet stadium. The crowd shots were just soccer moms and kids with the occasional canadian flag. Just horrible.

As for the qualifiers, I'd say we have to avoid the west coast simply because it's too many time zones to cross for our players. Saputo Stadium and BMO only please.

And who's to say that that wouldn't happen again?

Toronto fans are already working to alleviate that problem.

Will we be successful? That all depends on the CSA's willingness to listen to us.

quote:Originally posted by CanadianSoccerFan

Saputo Stadium and BMO only please.

If either had a roof I think we might be able to avoid the west coast, but with the likelihood of qualifiers in March and October, and, god forbid, February and November, I don't see abandoning the west as an option.

quote:Originally posted by argh1

Why do I wanna puke every time I hear the the phrase........

"National Soccer Stadium"

Please help with therapy to get over this:(:(:(:(:(:(

Wow! Someone is a really big fan of the Bank of Montreal.

Its ok, they'll call it BMO Field again soon. :)

It hasn't been said yet, but Canada is contractually obligated to play a minimum of 6 games per year at BMO Field. These games can be for any gender or age group however...regardless, it likely means atleast a few home matches per year for the MNT at BMO...

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

It hasn't been said yet, but Canada is contractually obligated to play a minimum of 6 games per year at BMO Field. These games can be for any gender or age group however...regardless, it likely means atleast a few home matches per year for the MNT at BMO...

Are they contractually obligated or contractually entitled?

I kind of got the impression it was entitled. Meaning it is there choice to make use of the 6 dates, or not.

Archived