Where should Canada play WCQs?

gkhs

The CSA should decide where it is held based on where the team can succeed.

If you recall the US moved one of it's last home qualifying games to, I believe it was Columbus, why?, because they would have less Mexican support than in LA or other venues, they were in the middle of the US heartland. Mexico plays it's games in Estadio Azteca, high altitude, smog etc.. as an advantage.

What does Canada have? Cold, let's make those WCQ games in places that are uncomfortable for those Central American teams.

Edmonton (or Winnipeg...just dreamin') in the cooler qualifying days and Toronto where climate doesn't make a difference. To the guys in Toronto, I hope the CSA does something about distribution of tickets so Candian supporters get first crack. It seems odd that in our NATIONAL stadium, other supporters are allowed to get tickets prior to ours.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The games will be in Toronto. There is little debating this in my opinion. The CSA has an agreement with MLSE to have a certain number of games their every year, and since home friendlies are something that Mr. Linford has blown a lot of smoke about but not delivered(with the exception of 1 game coming up vs. Costa Rica), these games will have to be WCQ.

As I said in the other thread, the city of Toronto was given a gift from the CSA(TFC), and they have done extremely well with it. I think the entire country is proud of the support that you all are providing at BMO Field. But climb down off your pedestal, and quit ripping the rest of the country - especially Edmonton.

Although I've already hypothesized the games will all be in Toronto, if I was to be given a choice, I would play wherever it gave our team the best chance to win.

quote:Originally posted by RJB

[b But climb down off your pedestal, and quit ripping the rest of the country - especially Edmonton.

Oh my God...

To me, the only ripping that ever takes place on here is posters from the rest of the country going on (and on and on and...) about evil Toronto.

The crowd at the u-20 game last week was awful. Just terrible. And I doubt there was actully 31,000 people there. I'd buy 31,000 tickets distributed, but I did not see 31,000 butts in the seats.

That's not ripping Edmonton (For the record, I briefly lived in the city. I quite like Edmonton). It's stating a fact about one game.

To me, there is a long standing myth about Edmonton being the best place to play MNT games (largely based on a friendly held 13 YEARS AGO). Edmonton has occasionally shown that it can be a good host to the games, on other times not so much.

But, again, this is about what's best for the T E A M. It's not about what's best for the fans. It just isn't.

quote:Originally posted by difab

The CSA should decide where it is held based on where the team can succeed.

If you recall the US moved one of it's last home qualifying games to, I believe it was Columbus, why?, because they would have less Mexican support than in LA or other venues, they were in the middle of the US heartland. Mexico plays it's games in Estadio Azteca, high altitude, smog etc.. as an advantage.

What does Canada have? Cold, let's make those WCQ games in places that are uncomfortable for those Central American teams.

Edmonton (or Winnipeg...just dreamin') in the cooler qualifying days and Toronto where climate doesn't make a difference. To the guys in Toronto, I hope the CSA does something about distribution of tickets so Candian supporters get first crack. It seems odd that in our NATIONAL stadium, other supporters are allowed to get tickets prior to ours.

The reason they went to Columbus was because the supporters of the Columbus Crew, who go the lions share of the tickets for that game, we're pro American. Lations still turn their nose up at MLS and C-Bus isn't as easy to get to compared to the larger cities.

The Americans moved their games around to various cities to try to give their teams an advantage. RFK and Birmingham didn't work out in the way the USSF expected. Foxboro, Salt Lake, and Hartford didn't fill their stadiums but gave the US team it's home field support. Columbus meet both requirements.

This is absolutely pointless discussion. The mens WCQ's will be played in Toronto. End of discussion.

People who don't agree with that or wine can cry all they want. Fact is the past 8 or so years the team has travelled around the country for the WCQ and where has it gotten them??

The CSA has said they would like to be in the eastern time zone and got finances to build the National Soccer Stadium to satisfy that objective. It's as simple as that!!

quote:Originally posted by boban1

hey, the CSA dictates where it is. Don't hate me for spelling it out to you.

Move to Toronto if it pains you so much.

It doesn't pain me at all. What pains me is arrogant a-hole newbies such as yourself who come on here telling people their discussion is pointless and then tells people it's "end of discussion". Which it wasn't because were still discussing.

For me, living in Regina, such discussions are difficult because I'm totally out of the loop as far as hosting games here goes. We've got a stadium, with fieldturf and soccer lines but also those football lines too.

So where ever the games are played if I want to go I need to travel. I feel T.O. is likely the best spot for many of the resons MediaGuy points out. We must hold our games in a place the team enjoys playing in. That said there are issues with 'home atmospheres' in T.O. in the past. Selective ticket sales might provide for local Can. supporters, the rest of the tickets could be snapped up really quick by visting supporters and the same issues from the past could creep in.

I think T.O. is the strong option from a broadcast/media centre position because of the, connections that seem to be forming between Canadian Soccer and TFC. I'm not against TFC, but people already associate TFC with MNT, like Dobson's mental slips (Canada does X, woops I mean...) in broadcast, or my Mom's while watching on a saturday afternoon. I think what some of the T.O. near folks are missing is the alienation this can create. Now there's a 'National Soccer Stadium' and boardroom deals about matches. The CSA's policy commitment of development by supporting the purchase franchises for the major cities, and ignoring development in smaller centres adds to this.

I feel that T.O. however is the logical, and inevitable option at this stage. Hopefully I'll have the money to travel and lend my support as well. But people shouldn't dismiss outright other venues that have been used in the past or new ones, like Ottawa, that show promise.

MediaGuy keeps saying we have to do what is best for the team, but has anybody thought that the team/players don't want to play in Toronto? Radz and Dero are already 2 players that have said they don't like the turf. I can guarentee you there are others. I know some games will be there for sure, it is the national soccer stadium after all, but T-O should get no more than 50%.

Archived