Canada to host Gold Cup

JesseDart

Guest Jeffery S.

I read an article on the FIFA site that mentioned it as a sure thing, I think it was in a u-20 WC piece as a complementary detail.

Why is there a Gold Cup in 2009?

It takes place right in the heart of the hex, which Canada should be involved in the next around. CONCACAF needs to drop this every other year crap and hold the Gold Cup ever 4 years.

Regardless, I've heard that Canada's group at BMO Field is as good as scheduled.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

Why is there a Gold Cup in 2009?

It takes place right in the heart of the hex, which Canada should be involved in the next around. CONCACAF needs to drop this every other year crap and hold the Gold Cup ever 4 years.

Regardless, I've heard that Canada's group at BMO Field is as good as scheduled.

even still, the more games the better, would be a good chance to look at a few folks for WCQ

quote:Originally posted by bc_soccer_fan

Time to phone up Canada Customs to close down the border to all Mexican referees.

Could not agree more, speaking of which our friend Archillia I believe was apart of the officating crew last night at Copa America between Boliva and Venezuela. Might want to check the official score card.

jagum

quote:Originally posted by mrpopulistfutebol

Could not agree more, speaking of which our friend Archillia I believe was apart of the officating crew last night at Copa America between Boliva and Venezuela. Might want to check the official score card.

Yes Mr. Archundia was the ref number four in the match

quote:Originally posted by Luis_Rancagua

What are the possible venues that Canada will use to host the event??? BMO Field, Commonwealth Stadium, Swangard Stadium, etc...

Well I have been thinking of this topic for quite some time and now it seems like it's going to happen. I couldn't see why we weren't capable of hosting an event like this.

As for the stadium issue, if you notice the Gold cup is always in the USA, which is unfair, and they use a few stadiums with a capacity of no smaller than 60,000. So if big is what Concacaf wants than that is what we'll give to them.

My choices would be,

Montreal - Olympic stadium, because it was in Canadas World Cup feasability study, so therefore can be used for Soccer.

Toronto - Rogers Centre, hosted a friendly match between Italy vs. Serbia I believe, natrual grass was put in. So soccer can be played in this stadium. I assure you that Toronto's Carrabiean and Central American communities will come in numbers, that is why the Rogers Centre is more suitable the BMO.

Edmonton - Commonwealth stadium, Canada should open up the group stage there because they will have the best fan support possible. If played in toronto there will be more fans of the opposite team.

Swangard? - Vancouver, I would have liked this city to host a game however I believe Swangard is smaller than 20,000, no? BC PLACE CAN HOST POSSIBLY HOST SOCCER MATCHES, CSA JUST ISN'T SURE IF A NEW PITCH WOULD FIT.

In the end I hope we do host the tournament regardless of where the games are going to be held.

GOO CANADA

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

Any link?

I read it months ago. I believe it was in the notes at the bottom of a Neil Davidson article.

It only mentioned the one group being held, not the entire tournament. I think the CSA should apply to host the whiole thing in 2011. If they want to keep it contained within 3 cities, Toronto-Ottawa-Montreal could host it very well.

All three cities are close to the population heavy US northeast, and all three would have the facilities to host.

Toronto (BMO Field and SkyDome)

Ottawa (Frank Clair)

Montreal (CCR, Saputo and Olympic Stadium)

The bigger stadia (SkyDome and Big Owe) would only be used for a final or semi-final, and even then I'd rather go with BMO Field over SkyDome and Olympic Stadium.

quote:Originally posted by btash

Edmonton - Commonwealth stadium, Canada should open up the group stage there because they will have the best fan support possible. If played in toronto there will be more fans of the opposite team.

While the risk of having a lot of opposing fans in Toronto is very real, I'm doubtful that Edmonton would have "better" fans than Toronto.

If done right (advance tickets to TFC supporters), we might be able to get solid, experienced, organized pro-Canada fans into BMO Field or Rogers Centre.

There's a lot to be said for a bunch of fans that stand beside each other at least 15 times per year, learning each others songs and co-ordinating support.

You simply wouldn't get that at any other venue in Canada at this point. Sure, the split of Canadian vs. opposing fans may be more equal in Toronto than it is in Edmonton, but if the U20 friendly versus Argentina was any indication, the huge block of Canada support among the TFC supporters group co-ordinate far better than the casual opposing fan. We shouted them down the entire 90 minutes. Same goes for the Benfica vs. TFC friendly.

quote:Originally posted by btash

Thats is just not true! From my experience, that is nothing more than myth. I saw the last qualifier in Edmonton and the level of Honduran support was no different, if not more noticeable, than what I experienced at the last qualifier that played in Toronto ( Varsity stadium against Mexico in 2000). Also, just listen to the crowd in matches versus Guatemala and CRC on TV for matches in Burnaby and tell me if thats sounded like a unanimous pro canada crowd?

What we need to understand is that there approx 60 million hispanic americans with origins from central america. They are very passionate about the games and will travel and scoop up tickets early. Unlike the average Canadians. The USA NT has the exact same problem in the USA where the americans cant get a pro US crowd for any of their home matches. DId you watch the GC final? What we need is better organization and planning in the area ticket distribution. Cant just leave it to the CSA and ticketmaster. If we can do something like what happened in the recent Can-Arg, whereby tickets are sold to existing season ticket holders, that would help immensely. And even then its not 100% guarantee.

Incidentally do you want to know what the best pro canada crowd ever was ( excluding Belize matches)? It was the game in Montreal last sept versus Jamaica. I'd say 90-95 % pro canada

The fact that it was also a "meaningless game" didn't hurt, IMO.

The US gets home-field advantage in places like Salt Lake City and (especially) Columbus.

Setting up priority ticketing for season ticket holders in Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver would probably help a bit. Holding more games in Newfoundland would help a LOT.

quote:Swangard? - Vancouver, I would have liked this city to host a game however I believe Swangard is smaller than 20,000, no? BC PLACE CAN HOST POSSIBLY HOST SOCCER MATCHES, CSA JUST ISN'T SURE IF A NEW PITCH WOULD FIT.

CSA isn't sure if a new pitch would fit? BC place was built with soccer configuration as first priority. How could a pitch not fit, it was the home for the NASL Vancouver Whitecaps.

quote:Originally posted by Krammerhead

CSA isn't sure if a new pitch would fit? BC place was built with soccer configuration as first priority. How could a pitch not fit, it was the home for the NASL Vancouver Whitecaps.

I wondered about that too. Also it is hosting the Beckham Game. Not to mention to that CFL (59m by 137m) fields are bigger than NFL Fields (48m by 109 m), the fifa required dimentions are (46m to 91m) by (91m to 119 m)

quote:Originally posted by Free kickIncidentally do you want to know what the best pro canada crowd ever was ( excluding Belize matches)? It was the game in Montreal last sept versus Jamaica. I'd say 90-95 % pro canada

Yes this is true that the Montreal match was very pro-Canadian and those Jamaican supporters who were there were not organized and sat at various parts of the stadium (and were actually pretty cool compared to the fans of many other teams we play here). On the other hand with the exception of the Voyageurs, the Montreal crowd was very quiet like they usually are for soccer matches (I wonder if this would change if the Impact joined the MLS.) We had a much better atmosphere in Kingston and especially in the second game got quite a few people in the crowd to cheer with us.

quote:Originally posted by piltdownman

The stadium was built first for soccer, and secondly for CFL football because at the time the Whitecaps were averaging crowds larger than the Lions and played more games per season to boot. It does and can fit a FIFA regulation pitch. However I don't know if the crowds they'd draw would warrant th cost of having to bring in grass or a better fieldturf pitch for the few games it would be holding if they were to use the stadium to host some of the games.

I wondered about that too. Also it is hosting the Beckham Game. Not to mention to that CFL (59m by 137m) fields are bigger than NFL Fields (48m by 109 m), the fifa required dimentions are (46m to 91m) by (91m to 119 m)

Archived