Canada to host Gold Cup

JesseDart

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

So does anyone have recent, tangible confirmation of this?

Pfft, who needs tangible confirmation?

Just accept my memory of an article I may have read months ago as fact :D

I heard on Sports Talk CKNW980 in Vancouver an interview with the VP of the CSA (name i forgot). Even though he was still fuming about the canada game, he mentioned that Canada could host first round games but NOT semis and Finals. I think it was on sunday at 9pm ( you can sign up for audio vault and listen to it) My opinion is that BC Place can certainly have a game since the LA Galaxy/Beckham will be playing there in October. Montreal, Edmonton and Toronto have big enough stadiums to hold even the finals. But of course the problem is getting them sold out. The new stadiums are too bloody small for Conacrap and the attendances for these games are the issue. We cant even sell 5000 tickets for a WCQ at Swanguard (guatemala). DOnt get me wrong but Im totally in favour of us hosting one, just as much as a central american team hosting one or co-hosting with another one.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

While the risk of having a lot of opposing fans in Toronto is very real, I'm doubtful that Edmonton would have "better" fans than Toronto.

If done right (advance tickets to TFC supporters), we might be able to get solid, experienced, organized pro-Canada fans into BMO Field or Rogers Centre.

There's a lot to be said for a bunch of fans that stand beside each other at least 15 times per year, learning each others songs and co-ordinating support.

You simply wouldn't get that at any other venue in Canada at this point. Sure, the split of Canadian vs. opposing fans may be more equal in Toronto than it is in Edmonton, but if the U20 friendly versus Argentina was any indication, the huge block of Canada support among the TFC supporters group co-ordinate far better than the casual opposing fan. We shouted them down the entire 90 minutes. Same goes for the Benfica vs. TFC friendly.

As long as TFC don't sell their tickets to opposing fans, which happened during the TFc /Benfica match. Canada needs this tournamet,

and Concacaf needs to get it away from the States more often.

Archived