Canada vs. US 2007 Gold Cup Semi-Final (R) in game

Gian-Luca

Might as well start the match thread now that it is game day.

Suggested starting line-up from the Boston Globe (who were inaccurate with their starting line-up for the Panama game):

Twellman/Donovan

Beasley/Dempsey/Mastro/Bradley

Bornstein/Boca/Onyewu/Hejduk

Howard

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Suggested starting line-up from the Boston Globe (who were inaccurate with their starting line-up for the Panama game):

Twellman/Donovan

Howard

I think those were the starters for the US's last game, except position-wise, Dempsey played forward ®, Bradley was CM and Donovan was RM.

quote:Originally posted by sstackho

Was it Keller who stoned us in the penalties back in 2002?

I still blame that US penalty loss due to us having to go penalties against Martinique...

So no penalties tonight please. :)

Yup. Keller Vs. Hirschfeld. Keller gave him a bit of a hard time at Tottenham in the locker room over that defeat.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Twellman/Donovan

Howard

Ives Galarcep has the same line-up, in this formation:

-------------------Twellman-----------------------

Beasley----------------------------------Dempsey

--------------------Donovan-----------------------

----------Mastroeni---------Bradley--------------

Bornstein-----------------------------------Hejduk

--------------Onyewu-----Bocanegra-------------

---------------------Howard-----------------------

Got to love this, from the Soccernet preview:

quote:Perhaps a bigger key for the U.S. is stopping De Guzman. Early in Canada's quarterfinal triumph, the Maple Leafs were struggling to play through Guatemala's packed midfield, so De Guzman began to drop deeper to get the ball. Initially, it appeared as if this would play into Guatemala's hands, because it took the Canadian midfielder further away from goal. But in this case, De Guzman's skill on the ball allowed Canada to keep possession better and build its attack. Once it got into the attacking third, the goals came quickly, with its second tally -- a clinical series of passes that was finished off by striker Ali Gerba -- a thing of beauty.

Link

Who would have thought before the tournament that we'd be reading stuff like this about Canada?

Got to love this, from the Soccernet preview:

quote:Perhaps a bigger key for the U.S. is stopping De Guzman. Early in Canada's quarterfinal triumph, the Maple Leafs were struggling to play through Guatemala's packed midfield, so De Guzman began to drop deeper to get the ball. Initially, it appeared as if this would play into Guatemala's hands, because it took the Canadian midfielder further away from goal. But in this case, De Guzman's skill on the ball allowed Canada to keep possession better and build its attack. Once it got into the attacking third, the goals came quickly, with its second tally -- a clinical series of passes that was finished off by striker Ali Gerba -- a thing of beauty.

Link

Who would have thought before the tournament that we'd be reading stuff like this about Canada?

quote:Originally posted by Metro

Odd...hasn't Howard played the whole tournament thus far? No mention of injuries in the article...

Keller played at least one game (against T&T I think).

Sadly, there's no difference between Howard and Keller, 2 quality keepers.

Less than 3.5 hours to go, and crap, I'm nervous. I hope that I can sop up all of the jitters on behalf of the players. For some reason, I get the impression our guys won't be too nervous. They've certainly grown as a team these past couple of weeks, and will likely relish this game vs. the best team in the region.

Border battle for Gold Cup

June 21, 2007

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/article.jsp?content=20070621_123119_5388

It may not have the allure of the typical Canada-USA, on-ice clash, but when the two nations meet between the lines in the Gold Cup semi-final, a fresh sporting rivalry just might be born.

Canada's confident play to date at the CONCACAF tournament has significantly raised their profile prior to the US showdown, to the point where the typically underachieving Canadians have caught the eye of soccer pundits south of the border.

(*Programming note: Viewers with the Sportsnet digital package can view the Canada-USA semifinal game live on SN East or Pacific at 7 pm ET. All others can watch the game on tape delay. Check the TV sked for times in your region.)

A pre-match preview on ESPNsoccernet highlighted the tournament play of Dwayne De Rosario, Atiba Hutchinson and Julian De Guzman as something the US team would be unwise to overlook.

"It's a team effort, it doesn't take two players to win championships," De Rosario told Sportsnet.ca. "For them to target us will be good as it will leave space for the other guys to get open and advance forward."

De Rosario and De Guzman have carried the Canadian offence through their four matches, with each player scoring twice in separate group phase games.

"We know that because we have scored, and have been successful in the tournament they will be trying to limit out touches on the ball."

So far Canada has played the majority of their matches against the congestive style of the central American countries, something which will change when the free-flowing Americans take the field in Chicago.

"We've watched them play, we know what they are about," said a confident Stephan Hart. "The US is a little bit different, their game is quicker, a lot of it is based on their physical ability to get up the field. A lot of their game is in the transition phase, the counter-attack. We are aware of that and we have to match them physically. If we don't we could be in trouble."

While the Americans are considered tournament favourites, the Bob Bradley-led squad have been criticized for their lack of killer instinct versus lesser opponents. Blessed with a wealth of talent up front, the Americans will rely on the ability of Landon Donovan to upset the Canadian gameplan.

"He's playing in a somewhat new position, wide right. We've looked at the tapes to see the things he likes to do in certain positions on the field. Somebody has to service him the ball, so we will be trying to take that away."

Donovan was named 'Man of the Match' in the quarter-final win over Panama, and enters the Canada match with two tournament goals. De Rosario is familiar with Donovan as the two have met quite often as members of two of the MLS best teams.

"We're not going to change our whole gameplan to revolve around one player. He's a good player, he's smart and he makes great runs but we have the right guys to limit his touches and close him down," said De Rosario. "It is no big secret that he helps the team to advance forward, so we are going to be mindful of that, but we have to play our game and continue to do what we are successful at."

Hart will field a similar starting 11 to what supporters saw in the group and quarter-final matches. Canadian striker Rob Friend, who missed the quarter-final win over Guatemala to get married, will again be absent due to matrimonial duties.

"Friend is on his honeymoon in Bora Bora, or somewhere nice like that," joked coach Hart.

As for the goalkeeper, Hart will again adhere to the old adage that 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it.' Pat Onstad was instrumental in getting Canada to the semi-final match up, and should be the man when the whistle blows on Thursday night. As for Toronto FC goalkeeper Greg Sutton, the news is getting better surrounding his condition.

"He trained yesterday, he thought he felt quite well, but we are going to take it day-by-day. We haven't sat down with the medical staff and discussed the situation yet. He still hasn't scrimmaged yet, where there is any sort of contact, but he did train for the 90 minutes," explained Hart.

Sutton has been battling the symptoms of a concussion he suffered while training for the Gold Cup.

With the Canadian men's squad jumping 40 places in the FIFA rankings and now playing for a berth in the Gold Cup final, a few have whispered that win or lose, the tournament and recent events have already served as a turning point for the program. De Rosario and Hart would disagree.

"We've got to the semi-final, which is good in itself, but we would love to be able to play in the final, but we have the US to step over first, and we are still taking it one game at a time," said a modest Hart.

As for the man known as 'DeRo', the patriotism could not be hidden when asked about a shot at repeating the magic of the 2000 Gold Cup.

"For me it is a success when you make it to the final. We all believe in our hearts that the team is good enough to beat the States, and we just have to prove it now. The talking is over, and we are looking forward to making our fellow Canadians proud by making it to the final."

Programming Note:

Live on Sportsnet 7 pm ET for viewers with SN digital package. Sportsnet.ca NewsTicats Maas focused on regaining form

Canada battles US in Gold Cup semi

Injured Dichio resumes TFC training

Edgar anchors Canadian U20 squad

A blurb from Gerry's blog entry from yesterday:

---

It will be tough, and there's no doubt CONCACAF wants a U.S.-Mexico final. Why not? That's where the money is.

And there is little to prevent those suffering from paranoia fearing the Americans will get some extra help.

On Monday for instance, the U.S. trained at a nearby first-rate facility while Canada was subjected to a 90-minute bus ride in order to train on a miserable patch of rock hard junk. Tuesday they were allowed to train where the Americans did.

Despite such slights, real or imagined, the Canadian players are spot on. Morale remains high, the leaders are leading and everyone else is stepping into line.

Coach Hart allowed them to cut loose a little after the famous Guatemala victory and to his great satisfaction, they behaved admirably.

And finally, Soldier Field is in great shape.

Game on.

quote:Originally posted by The Beaver

For some reason, I get the impression our guys won't be too nervous.

I would imagine that the US team would be feeling much more pressure than our guys. Even if we were to lose tonight, we would still come away having had a very succesful tourney (uncovered a new midfield with ball possession and attack). The US though, might need the win to save face - especially playing at home - double-especially if Mexico advance tothe finals (who they want to keep pace with).

I wounder who the ref will be, of course it can't be an American or a Canadian, but can it be a Mexican or would they be out too because Mexico may play the winner? If the ref is to be Mexican I hope for that Dracula guy, he did a good job, if not Mexican I fear that we may get Weingaard from Surinam who lost control of Guadeloupe vs CR.

I've got to be out for the first half, can't get around it, so I'll record the gol TV feed, found that to be more unbiased than sportsnet. I'm just worried that were due a rediculous decision from the refs, as most things have gone our way and Stalteri's phantom yellow isn't bad enough to qualify as our Concacaf moment.

Went back to the January 2006 lineups to see what continuity/experience there would be within the two teams, not much use, only four returning starters each. Jazic, Hutch, DeRo and Bernier for us, Hejuuk, Dempsey, Donovan and Twellman for them. So no real familiarity except with some who play in the same league, I think that helps us as how our guys react is likely to be more of a mystery to them than how they react is going to be to us.

Guest Jeffery S.

Onyewu and Hedjuk have cards. Run at them, they'll be reluctant to get more as they know that will take them out of the final. Let them take the risks.

We have not heard if Stalteri's has been revoked, so hard for just one journalist to ask the right question?

I am nervous too, perhaps as much for how well the Chinese tv links will work tonight as anything else.

Archived