Will Friend be back versus the US?

Gaucho

quote:Originally posted by nolando

And mr. smartypants, do you really think that the dutch league plays all year round, or eleven months even, with just this little break right during the Gold Cup? Not even a week to get away at any point? Or that no players ever miss a league game (or, better, a meaningless dutch league cup weekend or something) to get married, even overseas, DURING THE SEASON?

My argument is base on the fact that most weddings are planned well in advanced. So last year, Friend had 2 caps with Canada, so yes I think he was kind of an outsider and wouldn't be so sure he would make the squad for this GC.

As for Heerenveen, they're season could've finish at worst on May 27 (end of the dutch playoffs) and training camp starts early July in Holland. So yes, not that much time to get married unless you do it in-season (but I don't know many people who'll get married during the winter, we'll agree the ideal is in the summer as it's usually easier for everyone).

Considering the fact that he wasn't a regular MNT yet plus his club calendar, I think he went with the dates he thought he would've free.

In the end, it would be interesting to have some infos about when he did plan it, but I guess we'll never know.

It's funny Friend is being criticized for this but a guy like Hirschfeld continues to get all the love as our #1 keeper spot despite showing no commitment to the team.

quote:Originally posted by KAS

He answered the call, played well, and stayed as long as he could. That is alot more than some other Canadian players who didn't show up at all. We should simply thank him for his contribution to the team in this tournament, and hope that Gerba and the others get the job done tonight.

I think this is a very important distinction. Even though he had other commitments, he answered the call for as long as he could. A wedding is not just a one day affair.

quote:Originally posted by Nolando

And mr. smartypants, do you really think that the dutch league plays all year round, or eleven months even, with just this little break right during the Gold Cup? Not even a week to get away at any point? Or that no players ever miss a league game (or, better, a meaningless dutch league cup weekend or something) to get married, even overseas, DURING THE SEASON?

The problem, Nolando, is that he wouldn't have missed just one game as he would've had to fly over here, have the wedding/family stuff and then fly back. I would think about a week and half to do everything and get over the jet lag. Or should he have flown all his wedding guests out to the Netherlands?

You might think these are excuses, but I like to give the benefit of the doubt for players like Friend who have shown their commitment to the team in the past.

quote:Originally posted by nolando

If you play for the Canadian MNT you have two major events: World Cup Qualifying and the Gold Cup. That's all we have, people.

Yes, I realize that football isn't as important as my wife's health, or my future childrens' births or world peace for that matter. The Canadian National Team, however,is something that means a lot to me.

Does it mean enough to guys like Friend? Klukowski? Radz?

I remember Pat Onstad delaying his honeymoon plans so that he can

play in the Gold Cup in 2000.

quote:

Regarding the other posts in this thread: it is usually not the Groom who has the biggest say in setting the date, or making many of the other decisions about a wedding. It is not refered to as the "Groom's day". Weddings are planned well in advance and the summer window when his club won't require him is quite small. There may have been reasons why late-June/early July didn't work, and to be honest, just keeping your schedule open for the group stage is usually enough for Canadian players going to the Gold Cup.

He answered the call, played well, and stayed as long as he could. That is alot more than some other Canadian players who didn't show up at all. We should simply thank him for his contribution to the team in this tournament, and hope that Gerba and the others get the job done tonight.

Agreed. Rob Friend may be whipped, but he'd hardly be alone in that regard when it comes to weddings.

haha, what a funny thread. I love how some people seem to think that life should revolve around Concacaf tournaments...lol Fact is when you play pro overseas you have a limited time frame to get things like this (marriage, honeymoon) done, especially with all the planning that goes in. 20 years from now he's gonna look back at June 2007 as one of the most amazing months of his life, and it's not gonna be because of the 2007 Gold Cup results.

quote:Originally posted by kelownaguy

haha, what a funny thread. I love how some people seem to think that life should revolve around Concacaf tournaments...lol Fact is when you play pro overseas you have a limited time frame to get things like this (marriage, honeymoon) done, especially with all the planning that goes in. 20 years from now he's gonna look back at June 2007 as one of the most amazing months of his life, and it's not gonna be because of the 2007 Gold Cup results.

What you say is possible, perhaps even likely.

On the other hand, it's also possible that Canada could win the Gold Cup and his marriage could end in a bitter divorce. If that happens, he'll probably regret missing out on the chance of a lifetime to lift the Gold Cup and stand on the field to hear the national anthem played in victory.

(I realize that he'll still receive a medal if Canada wins the tournament, since he played in the tournament, but I doubt that receiving his medal in the mail will be quite the same experience...)

I'm not knocking Friend for his decision, I'm just pointing out what he may have sacrificed.

1) you try getting in the way of a woman and her wedding with talk of the gold cup.

2) contrary to that point, if It were me, I would have been "I have to fight those american bastards"(no offence to any americans)

3) we got a few games out of him the month he got married, that shows more commitment then alot of players who aren't taking **** right now, I'd say ease up.

I don't doubt Friend's commitment to the MNT, in the long-term.

But I also am not happy with Our Target Man, with the tough guy/physical role he supposedly plays on the team, being so damn ***** whipped that he cannot stand up the Missus to delay a wedding/honeymoon for a damn week. Weddings get delayed all the damn time- weather, sickness, death in family, caterer cancels, whatever, THE GOLD CUP wasn't enough? Give me a break! Friend, you disappoint me!

You always play the game- you publicly dedicate the game to your bride to be or you score a goal for the kid whose birth you are missing and you do the Bebeto rocking the baby celebration- but you play the damn game. If your family gives a damn about you, they will tell you to play the damn game because its your dream and its all youve ever worked for your whole damn life.

How about the fact that his wife has followed him to Norway and Holland so he can work and follow his dream? One summer/month or so out of his life so all their family can get together and then enjoy a honeymoon. Not alot to ask.

And we're assuming that Friend didn't think ahead and alert the CSA he was getting married. What if he did and then stepped up to fill the void when Occean backed out?

I'm not going to slander the guy when i don't the whole story.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

Guys, chill out.

He was getting married, it's a good excuse. Maybe he let the team know when he got called up. Let's just move on.

Congrats to Rob!

I'm 100% sure Friend let the staff know about this when he was called, that would be crazy to think he told SH only a few days before the wedding.

Agree with Daniel: Congrats Rob!!!

Archived