Will Friend be back versus the US?

Gaucho

Does anyone know if Friend will be available for the USA match or if he's lounging on a tropical island with his new wife?

Although I'm a Yank, I hope to take off (eh!) work early to catch the match and root on Canada... but only if Friend is playing.

Thanks!

Go Canada!

Go Gauchos!

I wouldn't read too much into the CSA tracker, one it's the CSA and two until about an hour or two before the Guatemala game the tracker had Sutton active and no Onstad on the team. Having said that I'd be suprised if he cut short his honeymoon to play. Even if there, does he start ahead of Gerba who seems to be on fire?

quote:Originally posted by ovalroaster

even if friend is available, i think you gotta start gerba.

I have no problem starting Gerba, as his finishing has been clinical. But Gerba has yet to play 90 minutes, and I think Friend causes opposing teams more problems in general.

I would love to see both on the field at the same time.

Here's hoping Gerba can beat Pavon's 5 goals ! ;)

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Frankly, if they knew that Friend could miss so much of the tourney due to nuptial reasons, we should have called another striker, at least on the reserve squad.

exactly - it is still pretty strange to me, both scheduling the wedding for now (he HAD to know he was in the general player pool with a good chance of a call-up, didn't he?), and not calling somebody else altogether

quote:Originally posted by nolando

exactly - it is still pretty strange to me, both scheduling the wedding for now (he HAD to know he was in the general player pool with a good chance of a call-up, didn't he?), and not calling somebody else altogether

Btw, by "another striker" I am really meant to say an "additional striker".

I don't mean to make any personal statements about the guy, but I really question his commitment to the team. Missing one game for a wedding was bad enough (IMO) but forgivable I suppose. To miss a semifinal to be on a honeymoon (if this is indeed what is happening) to me is unacceptable. Just my opinion, but I think a deeper commitment is required.

quote:Originally posted by Markus

I don't mean to make any personal statements about the guy, but I really question his commitment to the team. Missing one game for a wedding was bad enough (IMO) but forgivable I suppose. To miss a semifinal to be on a honeymoon (if this is indeed what is happening) to me is unacceptable. Just my opinion, but I think a deeper commitment is required.

Personally, I think you're being a little hard on the guy. Weddings are often planned well in advance and it just seems like unfortunate timing. Once the wheels are in motion though, they are hard to stop/delay. He's shown his commitment to the team and the country in the past so I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

I agree with Gian-Luca that this shouldn't have come as a surprise to the coaching staff and they should have made arrangements for another striker. Not that I know who that other striker would be.

Put it this way. I was married last summer in BC and considered the World Cup schedule as a serious scheduling conflict. Yes, I know it is bordering on illness, but my love of this game (as it must be for most of you) gets serious consideration when I make big plans.

If you play for the Canadian MNT you have two major events: World Cup Qualifying and the Gold Cup. That's all we have, people.

Yes, I realize that football isn't as important as my wife's health, or my future childrens' births or world peace for that matter. The Canadian National Team, however,is something that means a lot to me.

Does it mean enough to guys like Friend? Klukowski? Radz?

A person chooses when they get married. It's not a University graduation or an emergency trip to the hospital. Why, pray tell, does a MNT member get married during the Gold Cup? Would John Terry have considered getting married during Euro 2008?

I would think his wedding was planned before the GC dates were announced or he doesn't have other options with the Heerenveen training camp starting early July.

Edit: GC dates were announced in January 2006 so I guess it's not an excuse. I would think he considered his club calendar in making the decision, not being sure 100% he would be invited to the MNT.

excuses excuses...why do Canadians make (and accept) so many weak excuses?

Well, I'm only trying to figure out why he did plan his wedding during the GC??? There's must be a reason. Weddings are often plan one year in advance, so I'm not sure Friend knew in summer 2006 that he would be a part of this GC squad (he wasn't a regular at that time). Is that possible Nolando??? Or is that an excuse??? Or does all our pro players must stop breathing everytime they could be call for an event???

Let's bash Nsaliwa now that we're at it, for having a baby during the GC. I hope this guy will never get call again.....

Nolando, please tell us if you would've been the traitor (Rob Friend), when would've you planned you're wedding this year considering you're playing in the Dutch League. Thanks.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Well, I'm only trying to figure out why he did plan his wedding during the GC??? There's must be a reason. Weddings are often plan one year in advance, so I'm not sure Friend knew in summer 2006 that he would be a part of this GC squad (he wasn't a regular at that time). Is that possible Nolando??? Or is that an excuse??? Or does all our pro players must stop breathing everytime they could be call for an event???

Let's bash Nsaliwa now that we're at it, for having a baby during the GC. I hope this guy will never get call again.....

Nolando, please tell us if you would've been the traitor (Rob Friend), when would've you planned you're wedding this year considering you're playing in the Dutch League. Thanks.

is it getting warm in here, or what?

is it getting warm in here, or what?

You're attacking one of our player without knowing the facts, only making stupid assumptions. So, I'm defending this player since they're nothing that led me to believe that he did that on purpose.

stupid? me? nobody is saying he poorly planned on purpose

If you're calling my explanations (he wasn't a regular MNT member a year ago, his club calendar year or both) "excuses", then you're suggesting that Friend is at fault in this. So, without any informations indicating that he did poorly planned, I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt considering his dedication tot he U-20's, U-23's and MNT in the past.

Why wouldn't he think he had a chance in the squad? We regularly field weaker squads than we would in WCQ. He knows that, I klnow that, and I know that YOU know that too. And this from a guy who made the squad and started in a year when we have fielded most of our first choice team. Was he that much of an outsider?

And mr. smartypants, do you really think that the dutch league plays all year round, or eleven months even, with just this little break right during the Gold Cup? Not even a week to get away at any point? Or that no players ever miss a league game (or, better, a meaningless dutch league cup weekend or something) to get married, even overseas, DURING THE SEASON?

I ask questions because I care and because I am a fan. Not all of the players (or coaches - think of the many opinions people have of FY, for instance) act in the best interests on the MNT. I can see quite clearly why some might not want to, but that doesn't mean that I have to accept it and say, well, I saw it in my local newspaper, sounds good enough to me, and go on cheering canada, saying aw shucks, have a good wedding man, it's more important than our team anyways,(honeymoon too? - yah, go for it -we probably won't make the finals anyways) or maybe say to those guys who choose or chose not to play for us like Hargreaves, and Jonathan, and Radz, you are just really nice guys and it's all just a game anyways. It's only football. C'est la vie, right?

Of course I am not sure of the circumstances. I am speculating based on what I feel to be fairly educated opinions. I am entitled to do so without being called names (you'll note that I haven't called Friend any either), just as you are entitled to disagree and yet still have my respect.

quote:Originally posted by Gaucho

Does anyone know if Friend will be available for the USA match or if he's lounging on a tropical island with his new wife?

Well, either way, he should be scoring tonight!

Regarding the other posts in this thread: it is usually not the Groom who has the biggest say in setting the date, or making many of the other decisions about a wedding. It is not refered to as the "Groom's day". Weddings are planned well in advance and the summer window when his club won't require him is quite small. There may have been reasons why late-June/early July didn't work, and to be honest, just keeping your schedule open for the group stage is usually enough for Canadian players going to the Gold Cup.

He answered the call, played well, and stayed as long as he could. That is alot more than some other Canadian players who didn't show up at all. We should simply thank him for his contribution to the team in this tournament, and hope that Gerba and the others get the job done tonight.

Archived