How come Group A winner plays Group B second? [R]

puskas

Because the 1/4s consist of:

- 3 group winners

- 3 2nd place teams

- 2 3rd place teams

So one winner HAS to play a 2nd place team!

With our group being the easiest by consensus, can't say I'm complaining. We've seen much worse in this region. Count your blessings we don't have groups of 3 (!!!) and invited teams anymore.

Well, if you want a have 1/4 finals you have to have one group winner playing a second team.....

And I agree with this move from CONCACAF, matching the two best 3rd teams with the group of our #1 and 2 teams in the region. It's fair.

I'm imagining a day when we have SSS in Vancouver and Montreal as well. Wouldn't Canada be the ideal hosts for this tournament? Or perhaps another question is why don't Columbus and Colorado host, in addition to Carson. These cavernous american football stadiums are no good. It could be a great tourney if they put some thought into it.

I also don't mind the inivited nation, cause I have dreams of Canada in Copa America. I can't think of a better experience. It's a shame we didn't go to Columbia when we had the chance...

quote:Originally posted by CanadianSoccerFan

Just another day in CONCACAF. Considering they hand pick the groups it's not surprising they'll do the utmost to have a Mexico v USA final since it's all about making money.

Well....Mexico and USA are the top two seeded teams in the region...CR is third, so it seems fair to me to have the third seed group have to play the second seed advancer.

And if you can't beat the group B second place finisher you don't deserve to be in the semis anyway....

quote:Originally posted by puskas

Really Media Guy? USA could easily lose to one of Trinidad, El Salvador, Guatemala then that Group B team that we should easily beat according to you would be the United States. Give your head a shake.

The probability of the US losing to Guatemala, El Salvador, or Trinidad on home soil is quite low. The tournament has always been geared for a USA-Mexico showdown. It makes perfect sense to me that Canada's group play a 2nd place team.

The best scenario would be to have a 16 team tournament.

'Eventually play the best', eventually is the key word. When you finished first you should eventually and not right away play the best. I think USA is in a fairly tough group and surprises could easily happen.

Moot issue, really. No matter what, Canada will have to beat the big teams to advance

regardless of which round in the tournament.

And yes, the tournament is geared for a USA-Mexico showdown, which is why they were

not amused in 2000 when we won despite the odds against us.

Still only 1-0 for USA in about the 60th minute and now the Americans are playing with 10 players. Despite what people have said, the Americans are not a given to finish first but probably will.

I think if say Canada goes 3-0 while USA wins the group with say a 2-0-1 or 2-1-0 record then Canada should play the third place team not USA. If Canada goes 3-0 and other teams do know then Canada deserves to avoid one of Mexico or USA.

This supposed 'injustice' also use to occur when the World Cups involved 6 teams. Four of the 1st place teams got to play a 3rd place team in the knock-out stage. The 2 other 1st place teams had to play a 2nd place team in the 2nd round.

I really don't think its that big of an issue.

I think it is way too early to speculate but I will anyway. It seems like Costa Rica is a better team than Trinidad, Guatemala and El Salvador so the door is wide open for us to get to the semis. Maybe a Mexico, USA, Canada and Costa Rica final four. If we can make it to the semis in the Gold Cup, then there is no reason we can't qualify to the World Cup. Again, still too early to say.

quote:Originally posted by puskas

Thanks for proving my point, according to that website USA and Guatemala recently tied each other.

It was a 0-0 draw with the US dressing a young team and the Guates bunkering with Ruiz alone up top. Nothing to be proud of.

Not to mention at the UNCAF they had trouble putting away Nicaragua and Belize.

We're gonna win our group and win in the QF's so this is all trivial anyways.

Archived