How come Group A winner plays Group B second? [R]

puskas

The quarter final schedule has A-1 playing B2 so Canada could win its group and not meet USA or Mex until the semi-final round.

How are the rankings of the third place qualifiers determined? Through goal differential or total goals for or what? Is it the same criteria for tie-breakers within each group? A three-way tie for 2nd may be shaping up in Group A.

For Canada, whether or not we finish first or second in the group stage, we won't play a 3rd place team in the quarter final round. So my question is really about getting a better idea of the probable routes that Mexico and USA will take in the finals.

If we finish 3rd in Group A, of course, we will face either USA or Mexico in the quarter final round. Unless, that is, we tank and finish 3rd among 3rd placers.

Based on pre-tournie games, I'm expecting El Salvador to play Canada in the quarter final round. Then we'd meet USA in the semi-final -- unless the USA does things the really hard way.

The winner of USA's group (B) plays either third in Canada's group (A) or 3rd in Mexico's group ©, but how are the match-ups determined?

quote:Originally posted by puskas

Funny how people get way too high after a victory and way too low after a loss. Still too early.

Yeah, I agree. It feels like Canada already won their group if you read this thread.

And I don't have any problem with the quarterfinal draw. It's the semifinal draw that's silly. [:o)]

quote:Originally posted by puskas

Funny how people get way too high after a victory and way too low after a loss. Still too early.

I'm one of the few who has had high expectations for us in the GC. Check out the other threads on this board.

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

I'm one of the few who has had high expectations for us in the GC. Check out the other threads on this board.

People who were on this board in 2003 would know that we aren't nearly as excited as we were after beating CR at that year's Gold Cup. We've learned to be a little more reserved.

We seem to be more excited about the way we played though, which is totally warranted.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

People who were on this board in 2003 would know that we aren't nearly as excited as we were after beating CR at that year's Gold Cup. We've learned to be a little more reserved.

We seem to be more excited about the way we played though, which is totally warranted.

I'm refering to the expectations i've had prior to the win.

And you're right, 2003 should teach us something about humility. I'm probably being a little too cocky, but screw it, i think we're gonna win the group.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

Oh, I understand. I also have high expectations for our national team.

Welcome to The High Expectations Club

Pop. 2 :D

p.s. there's plenty of room for those who want to join.

quote:Originally posted by CanadianSoccerFan

Just another day in CONCACAF. Considering they hand pick the groups it's not surprising they'll do the utmost to have a Mexico v USA final since it's all about making money.

I have to agree with you here. The 2000 CONCACAF Gold Cup final, which our boys where in, hardly drew flies at LA Coliesum. Jack (I am a knob) Warner and the CONCACAF boys will do anything in their power to prevent a repeat of 2000 again.

That is the said part

For what it's worth, as of 12 June, Canada, Mexico, and the USA could all be in the same half of the quaterfinals with a good possibility of an early USA-Mexico match followed by the winner taking on Canada (assuming a Canadian win in the first round of the finals). And it looks like, if that were to transpire, either Honduras or Costa Rica will have an easier run to the final game in their half of the quaterfinals.

Guess that's why the games are played on the pitch and not on paper.

quote:Originally posted by JPB

For what it's worth, as of 12 June, Canada, Mexico, and the USA could all be in the same half of the quaterfinals with a good possibility of an early USA-Mexico match followed by the winner taking on Canada (assuming a Canadian win in the first round of the finals).

That would be good for Canada as it could mean they avoid playing the USA throughout.

"That would be good for Canada as it could mean they avoid playing the USA throughout."

Why would that be good for Canada? The Yanks are beatable on any day and we're guaranteed a good game. I love beating the USA!

:(:(:(Allez Les Rouges:(:(:(

Guats next, Honduras in the final. De Vos makes an emergency recall and scores the winner. Referee loses his whistle and can't call it back. Jack Warner is forced to pay the prize money out of his own pocket. :D

Life can be beautiful when you have a dream!!!

Well last time we won, Warner said we didn't deserve to win and he'd take great pleasure in seeing T&T beat us. Wonder if he'd expose another ignorant bias if we managed to pull this one out. I'm sure he's already terrified at the idea of a Mexico/USA quarterfinal game.

The one aspect that would be huge in winning this tournament is the financial windfall. Our funding worries for WCQ could be put to bed. The tournament title pays $150,000 along with a guaranteed $1 million (possibly more) for the confederations cup. Not to mention Canada would have a MUCH easier time getting corporate sponsors on board for next year. That is of course if we win..... and I know I'm getting ahead of myself.

Archived