Unfulfilled Rumour: Mitchell Announcement

Guest Jeffery S.

quote:Originally posted by MikeD

He's coached four cohorts of U-20s, so he knows the young talent in our system.

Actually it is just three (2003, 2005 & 2007's teams - Paul James coached the 2001 edition), but the point is nevertheless a good one.

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

We also need more professional clubs with academies playing North America top flight soccer.

Also agreed here. Not saying that Simoes prospective reforms wouldn't have helped (without knowing what these reforms were in detail it is difficult to say one way or the other), but the two key things we need are more & better pro clubs & more games/funding for our national team. I don't know that we can expect Dale to arrange the latter for us, the CSA has to do that.

The success of the U20 team during the whole course of this decade suggests that we are not doing too badly on developing good young players, it's the lack of pro options they can go to after they hit that level where we start to suffer. We often forget that in general national associations do no develop players, clubs do.

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

We also need more professional clubs with academies playing North America top flight soccer.

Also agreed here. Not saying that Simoes prospective reforms wouldn't have helped (without knowing what these reforms were in detail it is difficult to say one way or the other), but the two key things we need are more & better pro clubs & more games/funding for our national team. I don't know that we can expect Dale to arrange the latter for us, the CSA has to do that.

The success of the U20 team during the whole course of this decade suggests that we are not doing too badly on developing good young players, it's the lack of pro options they can go to after they hit that level where we start to suffer. We often forget that in general national associations do no develop players, clubs do.

Well, time will only tell, but my gut tells me that Mitchell will prove a better national team coach than Yallop did because he seems better suited--and better experienced--to lead a team that meets only rarely (I hope NOT too rarely, mind you), whereas Yallop does much better at the club level where he has contact with the players on a consistent, hands-on basis. (Not too hands-on, though I've no evidence to support this. ;)) I think Mitchell is a better tactician than Yallop, though the proof will be in the pudding.

Of course, as pointed out, no coach will amount to a pinch of coonsnuff if they've not the proper support of the CSA, which means money, games and proper time with the team. All indications suggest that the CSA--hindered in part by their continued perverse committment to democratic ethics, and hampered by the narrow self-interest of the provincial associations--is not even remotely prepared to take the quantum leap forward and support our men's national team. There is no vision at all. The CSA and the Provincial associations need to learn from the success of our newish Olympic strategies, where we've decided to support our elite athletes with the understanding that medals at international competitions inspire an even broader base of young athletes to join sport and shoot for gold and therefore move entire athletic programs forward in leaps and bounds. A COO with this sort of vision, and corporate connections, would be golden. Linford has the right ideas as CEO; he just doesn't seem to have the political savvy and knowledge to gather the sort of board support required to implement these changes.

First off, there is no comparison between the experience brought to the job by Simoes and Mitchell. That is no disrespect to Mitchell.

Secondly, there has not been any official statement about why they chose to reject the Simoes proposal. Yes, we have heard bits but without the necessary details. Yes, it has been suggested that the price tag was going to be around $1.5 million but over what term. If it is over three years, the cost is actually around $500,000 per year. I suspect that was about what we had budgeted for the combined TD and Head Coach jobs.

Third, knowledge of the players is simply a criteria that is code for wanting a Canadian coach. It is a rationale that is rarely used when selecting a coach in professional sports. It is also rare for a national association staff coach to be handed the reigns of the Senior National Team without some depth in experience that goes beyond the national youth teams.

Fourth, I would also argue that CONCACAF experience is also a weak excuse because there are many other parts of the world that are equally as challenging as Central America and Mexico. And in some cases, even more challenging.

Finally, for Mitchell to have a fair shot at this opportunity, the CSA needs to come clean and also to take whatever heat that is generated. If it wanted a Canadian as coach of the Canadian National Team, it needs to say so. If it feels it could not afford Simoes, it should also publicly state that and outline what the annual unfunded cost actually was on the proposal.

The best case scenario for Mitchell is for him to outperform with the U-20 side this summer and come into the Senior job as a hero. The reality is however that he may have to enter the job with less success than that as much as all of us hope otherwise.

quote:Originally posted by Canuck Oranje

First off, there is no comparison between the experience brought to the job by Simoes and Mitchell. That is no disrespect to Mitchell.

Secondly, there has not been any official statement about why they chose to reject the Simoes proposal. Yes, we have heard bits but without the necessary details. Yes, it has been suggested that the price tag was going to be around $1.5 million but over what term. If it is over three years, the cost is actually around $500,000 per year. I suspect that was about what we had budgeted for the combined TD and Head Coach jobs.

Third, knowledge of the players is simply a criteria that is code for wanting a Canadian coach. It is a rationale that is rarely used when selecting a coach in professional sports. It is also rare for a national association staff coach to be handed the reigns of the Senior National Team without some depth in experience that goes beyond the national youth teams.

Fourth, I would also argue that CONCACAF experience is also a weak excuse because there are many other parts of the world that are equally as challenging as Central America and Mexico. And in some cases, even more challenging.

Finally, for Mitchell to have a fair shot at this opportunity, the CSA needs to come clean and also to take whatever heat that is generated. If it wanted a Canadian as coach of the Canadian National Team, it needs to say so. If it feels it could not afford Simoes, it should also publicly state that and outline what the annual unfunded cost actually was on the proposal.

The best case scenario for Mitchell is for him to outperform with the U-20 side this summer and come into the Senior job as a hero. The reality is however that he may have to enter the job with less success than that as much as all of us hope otherwise.

good points, though in respect to the last one, I think as long as Mitchell gets the lads out of the group stages, his performance at the WYC will matter very little to the broader public in terms of his coaching the men's team. If the men's team has a much higher profile, then the pressure on the CSA to hire a topnotch coach would be coniderable.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Bill Spiers

My understanding - from usually reliable sources - is that the press conference on Thursday is to announce some sort of new sponsorship deal. I don't think it has anything to do with the coaching situation.

Thanks. I got is as a rumour from a press source in any case last weekend.

Didn't notice this posted:

GlobeSportsSoccer,GlobeSports

Mitchell focuses on under-20 side

Neil Davidson

748 words

10 May 2007

The Globe and Mail (Breaking News)

English

2007 CTVglobemedia Publishing Inc. All Rights Reserved.

TORONTO --

Coach Dale Mitchell leads his Canadian under-20 side against Argentina in an exhibition soccer game Friday amidst signs he will take over the World Cup side after July's FIFA U-20 World Cup Canada 2007 tournament.

An announcement on the senior coach is expected next week.

Mitchell had nothing to say on the issue after a news conference Thursday to announce a new sponsor (BMO) and talk up the game against the defending under-20 world champion at BMO Field (Rogers Sportsnet, check local listings).

"I'm totally focused on our match tomorrow against Argentina," he said when asked about the World Cup job.

"That's the least of my concerns at this point," he continued when pressed again.

Colin Linford, president of the Canadian Soccer Association, said he would reserve his comments on the hunt for a coach until a conference call Monday.

What is clear is that Brazil's Rene Simoes is out of the picture, although it's not known whether the CSA could not meet his pay demands or Linford was simply unable to win the support needed to approve the hire.

Under-17 coach Stephen Hart is expected to guide the senior side at next month's Gold Cup, while Mitchell is busy with the under-20 team. Mitchell would then take over the senior side.

Linford said on March 22 that he had selected his candidate out of the four-man short list, and that he hoped to have the new coach in place by late March or early April. But a board meeting to approve the choice was delayed and the administrative wheels have ground to a halt since.

While the soccer community celebrates the arrival of Toronto FC and the impending under-20 tournament, Canada's national team has been in limbo — sandwiched between Libya and Ethiopia at No. 94 in the world rankings.

The CSA is also without a CEO and technical director. One source, intimate with Canadian soccer, says two people have already turned down the CEO job.

Linford's final four is believed to have been Simoes, Mitchell, Hart and one other foreigner.

Mitchell and Hart have both served as interim coach since Frank Yallop quit last June to take over the Los Angeles Galaxy.

And they both have won good reviews from their players.

"He's a great coach," under-20 midfielder Jaime Peters said of Mitchell.

"He's a players' coach. He tells you how it is. ... You know where you stand with him."

"He's a confident coach, he knows what he wants from his players," added defender David Edgar. "He's a really nice guy but he can be tough on his players as well. He's got the respect of all his players and that's the main thing as a coach."

Mitchell, 49, has taken the under-20 side to three successive FIFA championships. And he has many passionate supporters across Canadian soccer.

He is tied with John Catliff as Canada's all-time international scoring leader, with 19 goals in 55 appearances from 1980 to 1993. The Canadian Soccer Hall of Famer also played in the 1986 World Cup.

"Dale knows how to play at the international level," Edgar said. "He's been there. He's played, he's coached."

Dwayne DeRosario, a veteran of the senior side, also has a lot of time for Mitchell.

"Dale Mitchell is a proven professional and proven coach," the Houston Dynamo star said Thursday from Texas.

Hart also won kudos from players for his work as interim coach. But his cause has not been helped by the recent failure to qualify for the world under-17 championship. It should be noted that the Canadian campaign was hurt by a brutal schedule and that Hart's preparation program was bargain basement compared to that of teams like the U.S. and Costa Rica which have residency programs for their young stars.

"I get along great with him and I really like the way he wants to approach the game," DeRosario said of Hart. "He has a lot of respect, he has my respect.

"I hope that if Dale gets the job he keeps Stephen on board and if Stephen gets the job, he has Dale on board — and they can work something out. Because it would be great to have those two minds leading our national team."

We need fresh ideas in the coaching position and fresh blood in the CSA. No disrespect to Mitchell, Yallop and Hart, but all we seem to do is keep recycling Canadian coaching insiders. WE WILL NOT QUALIFY for 2010 with Mitchell at the helm of the current parochial CSA structure.

Guest Jeffery S.

Since Davidson published this almost 2 months ago

Link

Claiming the CSA had found the new coach, he should be a bit more persistent in getting answers from his sources. Since they are failing him. As I mentioned elsewhere, my problem with Davidson is that he is soft on the CSA because he fears losing his scoops when travelling to cover the team. That is not independent journalism, not fully, and he needs his editor to get behind him and tell him to go after the full story without fear of what the CSA or anyone else might think.

Look what Davidson quotes Linford as saying on March 22:

"We know who we want," said Linford, who wants the new man in place by late March or early April.

The CSA president said the decision was not difficult and that soccer fans would know his preferred candidate."

So why can't Davidson follow up on his article and ask Linford why he has not told "soccer fans...his preferred candidate."?

Not sure where many of you are getting the impression that performance has anything to do with employment by the CSA :D The real importance for Hart of his performance in Jamaica is whether or not he bought rum for the right CSA board members.

in the end all the CSA will do is give a coach regardless of quality just to get everybody off their back.

once again they will rsort to bandaid solution.

we need more that a voach we need somebody that will revolutionise soccer in this country.

our program are outdated and completely inefficient

Panama and even Haiti the poorest country inrhe part of the world are making inroads with their soccer program,

Mitchell will just fit in comfortably with the CSA brass as do as he told.

from what I have seen from the U-20 against Argentina this a is a team that is not playing a brand of soccer that will make us a contender in concacaf at the senior level.

quote:Originally posted by sj

from what I have seen from the U-20 against Argentina this a is a team that is not playing a brand of soccer that will make us a contender in concacaf at the senior level.

It must be hard to watch natches with your blinders on at all times.

quote:Originally posted by sj

I am curious about your problems with the style of play Mitchell has our U20's playing. I was on hand on Friday night and I was pleased with the tactics Mitchell was employing to try to get the most out of the 11 men he had on the field. We certainly don't have the talent of the Argentinians but our boys are none too shabby and Mitchell make a good showing of himself as well

quote:Originally posted by Sigma

He certainly has been around...

Yeah, but he keeps getting fired within a year or two of joining a team!!

Maybe he's a better NT coach then club coach? kind of a reverse Yallop...

He would have brought an interesting mix of English and South American experience. Given the tactical direction Yallop was taking, he might have been a good fit. His resume maybe isn't the greatest, particularly of late, but it's hard to ignore the experience of managing in a high pressure club atmosphere, a quality Mitchell clearly lacks. If money is really not an issue, I wonder why Linford doesn't press to bring in an assistant manager who is not Hart. This type of guy -who, granted, may not be interested- might be able to bring some pedigree to the national side and put a bit of pressure on Mitchell to perform.

Ardiles would have helped where we seems to suffer a lot, creativy in midfield and making sure that the plays go thru midfielders.

he was the little dynamo on the Argentines world cup team watched all the games live on tv from the 78 world cup and he was fun to watch has a lot of vision and speed to burn and a classy finisher not a hard shot but place the ball in the net with acuracy and finesse.

he was the same kind of dynamo when he was playing with Spurs

Was if I am not mistaken the first non British player spurs ever sign.

Ardiles would have helped where we seems to suffer a lot, creativy in midfield and making sure that the plays go thru midfielders.

he was the little dynamo on the Argentines world cup team watched all the games live on tv from the 78 world cup and he was fun to watch has a lot of vision and speed to burn and a classy finisher not a hard shot but place the ball in the net with acuracy and finesse.

he was the same kind of dynamo when he was playing with Spurs

Was if I am not mistaken the first non British player spurs ever sign.

VPrj I was expecting more in term of Cohesion, understanding and the quality of touches on the ball after two yrs of intense preparation none of that were clearly evident on Friday.

our defending on corners were extremely poor

no way should that ball ever reach a player at the far post and it did on almost every corner.

we had a big height advantage yet the little Argentines were the ones making head connection with the ball.

against a taller team those ball will hit the back of the net before it will even reach the far post.

the style is still too close to route one.

Under Yallop the MNT were starting to play more of a controlled game they were mixing it up a little bit more than whatI have previously seen from a Canadian side and I was expecting likewise from the u-20

you will have a preview of what I am talking about when Chile comes to town.

the Dark horse would be the African team they will dominate Canada in terms of posession and shots on goals I can see canada chasing the ball a lot and we have to make acuarte passes to make the most out of the few precious time we will have posession of the ball.

Archived